+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 210MP , Keeps restarting, finally dies.

Post Thanks / Like

210MP , Keeps restarting, finally dies.

I have had this Lincoln 210MP for almost 6 years. TIG kit was installed 4 years ago, has always run good for me. 2 weeks ago, I turned the power on to the machine, and it went through its start up but the fan (which has always had a fairly loud sound) sounded subdued. Checked machine for blockage, fans were clear, not mice or welding rods found jammed in fan. Restarted machine, and all was fine that day. A week (and several welding sessions) later, I start the machine, and fans sound low again, power on self test completes. I check machine again, no problem found. Restart machine, fans are still on low, power on self test complete. I try again , same issue , POST completes, fan is on low. Tried restarting 3 times with the same result low fans, and able to scroll through menus. Unplugged machine and power cord, checked continuity, and voltage at machine, no problems noted. Started machine again, this time I pressed the MIG gun trigger, and the machine screen went black, and machine restarted. Did this 3 time before screen no longer came back on. Opened the unit up to check power switch, overload unit, continuity from connector , all appeared good(input voltage good too). Checked fan voltage which are listed as 24vdc, but measured about 11.2 vdc . Looks like the Main PCB needs replacement. My friendly local independent welding shop quoted $900(just PCBoard), and I looked a little online and Weldmart lists it for about $900 also. So I have some questions that the local guy, and the Lincoln guy didn't know the answer to......

1) What's the difference between the #S31129-1 (which Weldmart is selling), and the #S31129-2 that Lincoln sells as the replacement for the #S31129-1?
    Often companies make improvements to PCB's to address problems on earlier version, is this the case ?

2) Does anybody use a Board repair company that might fix for less than the cost for new ?
    What is the length of their warranty 90 days, 1 year ?

I've been very happy with this machine over the last 6 years, and have invested in accessories, and attachments(Spool gun, MIG guns,k870 foot pedal, TIG torch, etc.). This is my most portable machine and its always being used. I sent it out to get a quote from a local repair shop and haven't received a quote yet.

I got tired of dragging my bigger machines in the factory, and bought a little 160amp MIG machine for $330 and use it to run MIG, and Stick. It has been doing a pretty good job on all the small stuff, even on 120VAC.(Haven't blown a breaker yet).

Front panel switch :
    Name:  IMG_2434.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  83.2 KB

Main PCB :
    Name:  IMG_2436.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  98.7 KB

PCB ID label, and Fans (back) :
    Name:  IMG_2441.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  74.7 KB

Thanks in advance
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 210MP , Keeps restarting, finally dies.

Most pcbs are warrantied by Lincoln for 1 tear if installed by an authorized shop.
    Call Lincoln tech support for complete information.
    the -1 pcb is the older pcb. been replaced by the -2. something was changed to make it a -2 pcb. no one but the engineers know what they changed. Get the -2 pcb I would not use the -1. Call weldmart and ask if they are still selling the old -1 pcb or just didn't change the catalog page since Lincoln automatically cross the -1 to the -2 if you try to order the -1. If you buy from weldmart ask them about the pcb warranty. to get it replaced as a owner install. you will have to go through them.
    Your problem sounds like the auto line voltage circuit is sticking in 230 volts.
    Lives on the power pcb. Not a difficult install. just need regulator hand tools and tork screw drivers. If you want to remove the front panel to get it out of the way. mark the line wires. If you cross them up you will blow up the new pcb. Top to bottom doesn't matter left to right does. I mark one side red and the other black with a sharpy.

3. Likes albrightree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Radwell International out of Greensboro, NC repaired the PCB in my Miller Spectrum 2050. Miller wanted 1,500 for a new board; Radwell was around half of that for a complete analysis and repair.

In additional to Greensboro, they have a location in Willingboro, NJ.

WWW.radwell.com
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

5. Likes Weldalittle, albrightree, wmgeorge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

Just got the call from my local PraxAir (Linde now ?) and said the machine would cost too much to fix, approximately $1900 to install a new PCB. The repair company just delivered it back to PraxAir shop, and I will pick up next week. Looking at it cost $125.

I've heard of radwell, but have never used them. They always come up when I google spares for old Allen-Bradley/Rockwell automation equipment like PLC"s, and VFD"s and other type of circuit board based stuff. I have an open account with Industrial Repair Services in Cummins GA , and Horsham PA. They've already quoted about $425 to repair the PCB, with a 1 year warranty. I didn't know that Radwell had a facility in NJ, thanks, good to know.

Thanks for the head up on the front panel, some companies go out of their way to prevent this with keyed connection. Other manufacturers don't bother, as it a added cost, and they reason only qualified people with proper procedures, and parts won't have a problem. I will be sure to "sharpie it" , and take a picture.

Looks like I'll be going for a drive to pick my machine up on Monday, too late for today, and they aren't open on Saturdays any more. I remember a long time ago , when I used to buy loose welding rod by the pound there , 6011, 6013, and where I discovered 7014. 7018's, and 6010's were usually only sold in 50 lb cans. Now they carry all sorts of Lincoln, and Pro Choice in(or whatever their store brand is) in 5lb and 10lb containers.

Have a great weekend !

Regards
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been told that once those go bad they are not worth fixing. Local dealer said he warranty replaced over 50 units! We use one at work set up for mig, and it runs nice. Lincoln aint what they used to be...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, glad I found this!! I was looking at a 2017 model a guy 4 1/2 drive from me has for sale. He wants $1200 and it will be 5 years old. Albrightree thanks for posting.
    Retired - Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician- Iowa
    Lots of Hobbys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Just got the call from my local PraxAir (Linde now ?) and said the machine would cost too much to fix, approximately $1900 to install a new PCB. The repair company just delivered it back to PraxAir shop, and I will pick up next week. Looking at it cost $125.

I've heard of radwell, but have never used them. They always come up when I google spares for old Allen-Bradley/Rockwell automation equipment like PLC"s, and VFD"s and other type of circuit board based stuff. I have an open account with Industrial Repair Services in Cummins GA , and Horsham PA. They've already quoted about $425 to repair the PCB, with a 1 year warranty. I didn't know that Radwell had a facility in NJ, thanks, good to know.

Thanks for the head up on the front panel, some companies go out of their way to prevent this with keyed connection. Other manufacturers don't bother, as it a added cost, and they reason only qualified people with proper procedures, and parts won't have a problem. I will be sure to "sharpie it" , and take a picture.

Looks like I'll be going for a drive to pick my machine up on Monday, too late for today, and they aren't open on Saturdays any more. I remember a long time ago , when I used to buy loose welding rod by the pound there , 6011, 6013, and where I discovered 7014. 7018's, and 6010's were usually only sold in 50 lb cans. Now they carry all sorts of Lincoln, and Pro Choice in(or whatever their store brand is) in 5lb and 10lb containers.

Have a great weekend !

Regards
    that praxair would be ripping you off. List price of the pcb is 894.39. whole repair only take 2.5 hours including trouble shooting. If you are slow. unless they are replacing the fans. they are 74.30 more. lately replacing a lot of fans with the power pcbs. wondering if the fans are failing by running slow then pcb overheats.

10. Likes albrightree, wmgeorge, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done some DIY electronics repair more or less all my life. There is no way in hell that PCB should cost that much. It should be repairable and its my guess they don't know what they are doing and price the repair that high to discourage the repair.
    Lots of Hobbys

Post Thanks / Like

These welders are operated by computer and software. With no component level diagrams published. Fixing them will be very time consuming and if the software is damaged there is no way to get it and install it. A lot of the cost of these new welders supports the R&D of new welders.

Post Thanks / Like

14. Likes albrightree, wmgeorge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    These welders are operated by computer and software. With no component level diagrams published. Fixing them will be very time consuming and if the software is damaged there is no way to get it and install it. A lot of the cost of these new welders supports the R&D of new welders.
    Thats BS put out by the folks selling you a new welder instead of PCB repair. The software is burnt into a chip, the rest is just electronic components that can be sourced anywhere. My guess the independent repair shops know exactly what fails on those PCBs and replace those parts, bench check and out the door. Those shops base their cost to you on what the OEM makers charge. I have repaired boards for Chinese machines, most are just crappy solder jobs. These boards should be top quality. I have also repaired 3 large screen TVs, just a matter of looking and checking.
    Lots of Hobbys

16. Likes tadawson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The continuing saga to repair the machine. The one company that does circuit board repairs for me, replaced a few capacitors, and sent back. I didn't work, went back as an RMA, and haven't heard anything in 3 weeks.
    Called Innovat Inc. about PC board repair, and they said that it wasn't on the list of items supported. Lincoln hasn't released any Schematics or repair guides for this device. I haven't called Radwell yet, but they do offer repair, as well as fixed boards , and new boards. I've been trying to go the route of using one of my open accounts with one of my vendors to fix it, as it died while doing work at the factory, and most of its use is for the company. When I first sent it out to Praxair, I thought they were sending it to the one shop they've used for 25 years. Apparently not, they sent it to a vendor who I actually have an account with already, who is a lincoln, and miller authorized repair center. They are also one of the biggest Milwaukee tool repair shops also. So I requested a quote for a new board. I guess it'll be a few more weeks.

Got a quote for the New " -2 " board :

Name:  210mpQuote.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  37.1 KB

finger crossed, I do miss the 210MP. I have a lot of equipment( mig guns,tig torch, spool gun, and foot pedal) invested, and hope the "-2" version PCB will last longer than the "-1" version
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a couple other inverter welders I've fixed in the past. (there's a thread on my Everlast 140 repair from several years ago on here somewhere...) It's usually in the power supply which runs all the hardware such as the control boards. The 11.2v instead of 24 would back that up. I haven't worked on a 210MP but there should be a small voltage regulator on the main pcb somewhere. It's usually near a cluster on small electrolytic capacitors. They used to use linear regulators but a lot of them have gone to switch mode power supplies but if you look up the part numbers on the chips you should be able to find the voltage regulator chip. Then you could ask the pcb repair place to swap that out and see what it does.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist