+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Shield Flux Core Welding Class at Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dual Shield Flux Core Welding Class at Hobart

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Ok, I have mentioned this before... When you birdnest pull the wire out of the gun and clamp the rear end of the wire in a vise, stretch it out and VERY closely inspect ALL the wire for anything "snaggy". I had a 250 Esab with the Euro block gun connector that wasn't making good contact at the block and would weld the wire in the liner because the gun cable wasn't carrying the weld current. The wire showed little burnt spots about every 12".

I had an issue with a spool gun constantly fusing tips. Turned out to be loose connection at a lug inside the machine.

2. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Don52;8830312] My favorite is the 6" grinder. I use it with the Metabo long life grinding wheels. This grinder draws 14.5 amps and is as powerful as my large and heavy 7" Ingersoll grinder, which I hardly ever use. I especially like the s-clutch which will allow cut off wheels to slip if you accidently bind them. I also like the fast brake, which stops the wheel rotation in 2 seconds. I bring this up because not all models have these options. I also prefer the non-locking paddle type switch.

wow, Don, u became quite the welder in a short amount of time. i got a 6 matabo also , and ill say how my preferences differ (otherwise its no fun ). i wont buy a grinder that has a switch that can be left on. if that puppy ever comes outa my hand accidently, i want it turning off, not keep running. as matter a fact, i, cut off the buttons on the side of my older 7-9" grinders that have trigger switch, so i never accidently push it in w/o knowing. my 6" matabo is paddle switch, 13 amp i think, auto binding shutoff. i dont like brakes, cuz i dont like the feel of that action in one hand, and dont like auto binding shutoff. i usually slap the mini grinders upside down immediatly while still rotating anyway. i also got a full size mtabo 15 amp 7 or 9", and its a joke. my fav. mini grinder is the dewalt 28114n, not cuz i think its the best, but because its the best for me
    Last edited by 123weld; 10-13-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    Don, u became quite the welder in a short amount of time.
    Thanks, I have been oxyacetylene, stick and TIG welding for ~ 50 years. For the past 13 years I have been taking welding classes at Hobart to improve my TIG welds and to learn about MIG, spray pulse MIG and dual shield flux core welding processes. While working I would take a welding class about every three years. From my perspective it seems like a slow, drawn-out learning process. Since I retired, I have been able to devote more time to practicing and classes so my recent welding progress has been more rapid. Welding has been my hobby since I first learned to weld in high school. I enjoy both welding and learning about welding.

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    I wont buy a grinder that has a switch that can be left on.
    I agree 100%. All of my right angle grinders, are non-locking, so they shut off if you take your hand off the switch. I think that the non-locking switches are safer.

-Don
    Last edited by Don52; 10-14-2021 at 12:44 AM.
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Mast Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Lincoln LE 31 MP & Lincoln 210 MP
    Everlast PowerTIG 400 EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Ok, I have mentioned this before... When you birdnest pull the wire out of the gun and clamp the rear end of the wire in a vise, stretch it out and VERY closely inspect ALL the wire for anything "snaggy". I had a 250 Esab with the Euro block gun connector that wasn't making good contact at the block and would weld the wire in the liner because the gun cable wasn't carrying the weld current. The wire showed little burnt spots about every 12".
    I'll assume that is a problem with the gun. Liner should not carry current. I have the issue with three different guns. Nonetheless, I will inspect wire.

Oscar can buy teflon coated liners for HTP? He tried to find one that'd adapt to Miller, it proved a dead end.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older Snap On welder that welded the wire inside to the liner. Upon disassembly, found outside conductor frayed at machine connection. Current must of been going through liner, burnt inside , when I was able to pull wire out , you could feel restriction when pushing wire through by hand. Patched machine connection, and replaced liner, has been welding good for a year now. I should order another gun, but they are very pricey from Snap-on. I've been looking at an HTP gun made for Snapon machine, but they are out of the 10ft guns, which are the only ones with a teflon liner listed. I have been using aluminum on the SnapOn mig with Tweco teflon liner, but its not an exact fit, like the HTP one appears to be (liner extends beyond o-ring and brass ferrule on machine connection. It welds aluminum nicely from the 10ft gun, but its time is limited before it frays again I'm sure. Even being as old as it is, the only birds nest it made was when I ran some .035" 4043 aluminum (very soft).

The only other time I can remember bird nesting in the feeder was when I burned back some gasless flux core to the tip. The knurled rollers pushed against the wire stuck in the tip, and folded the .035"flux core right up.
    With steel solid wire, I only set the roller tight enough to just push the wire and if you bump the wire on ungrounded work (cable purposely left disconnected) the rollers will slip.

Willy maybe you should just upgrade your mig machine. The thing sounds like it was built on Friday the 13Th , maybe its just cursed.
    Resale value is really high on those Miller machines, and you could trade up for something with pulse/spray/shielded fluxcore programs.

Best of luck to all.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    I have an older Snap On welder that welded the wire inside to the liner. Upon disassembly, found outside conductor frayed at machine connection. Current must of been going through liner, burnt inside , when I was able to pull wire out , you could feel restriction when pushing wire through by hand. Patched machine connection, and replaced liner, has been welding good for a year now. I should order another gun, but they are very pricey from Snap-on. I've been looking at an HTP gun made for Snapon machine, but they are out of the 10ft guns, which are the only ones with a teflon liner listed. I have been using aluminum on the SnapOn mig with Tweco teflon liner, but its not an exact fit, like the HTP one appears to be (liner extends beyond o-ring and brass ferrule on machine connection. It welds aluminum nicely from the 10ft gun, but its time is limited before it frays again I'm sure. Even being as old as it is, the only birds nest it made was when I ran some .035" 4043 aluminum (very soft).

The only other time I can remember bird nesting in the feeder was when I burned back some gasless flux core to the tip. The knurled rollers pushed against the wire stuck in the tip, and folded the .035"flux core right up.
    With steel solid wire, I only set the roller tight enough to just push the wire and if you bump the wire on ungrounded work (cable purposely left disconnected) the rollers will slip.

Willy maybe you should just upgrade your mig machine. The thing sounds like it was built on Friday the 13Th , maybe its just cursed.
    Resale value is really high on those Miller machines, and you could trade up for something with pulse/spray/shielded fluxcore programs.

Best of luck to all.
    I hadn't considered trading it in. I'm reluctant to ship it for repair. I won't see it again for a month or more & it might come back no better.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist