+ Reply to Thread

Thread: amp rating of typical oil pressure switch

Post Thanks / Like

amp rating of typical oil pressure switch

What is the amp rating for oil pressure switches for 200's ? I dont want to power too many things from OP switch.,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: amp rating of typical oil pressure switch

What sort of things are you wanting to power
    through an oil pressure switch?
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am of course powering an electronic ignition on the shorthood 200 through the OP (I dont know what the amp draw for that is) , as I am told it is the only safe way to do so without frying the module in the event of an unexpected shutdown (like running out of gas or whatever). but I also want to power the volt meter through the same OP circuit hooked onto the on/off switch that goes to the OP and connects to the electronic ignition. From the on/off switch I also want to connect a switch that operates the lights on the three gauge set of oil pressure, temp, and volt meter so that the lights dont run all day long when you dont need them to but are switchable for night time use. I mean lets face it, 99% of the time your welding with the unit is going to be in daylight.

The thing that concerns me is the amp draw from the OP switch from the connection of the volt meter though. Should I just run a separate switched circuit for the volt meter without going through the OP switch power circuit? This doesn't seem possible since my electronic ignition setup is run through the on/off switch to the cold side of the OP switch, then what switch would it be for the volt meter? Obviously one wouldn't want the volt meter to remain on when shut off as it would drain the battery, and too many switches on the front panel also. I dont want it to look like a 747 jetliner cockpit. It's all so confusing when modernizing a 1956 shorthood with electronic ignition, gauges, and electronic idler system. How much amps can a standard OP switch take? I couldn't find any specs on the net search.

Post Thanks / Like

The gauge lights and volt meter can just run off the ignition switch, no reason to complicate that. The electronic ignition and idler board might be a stretch on a Hobbs type oil pressure switch, could be a good idea to use the OP switch to control a relay that powers that stuff up.

5. Likes whtbaron, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO you're trying to complicate something simple.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    The gauge lights and volt meter can just run off the ignition switch, no reason to complicate that. The electronic ignition and idler board might be a stretch on a Hobbs type oil pressure switch, could be a good idea to use the OP switch to control a relay that powers that stuff up.

^^^ What 12V71 said.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

You can install multiple OP switches. Have one on the oil filter line and this is used for the charging circuit. Then another one by the port next to the carb, and this one is for the idler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
    You can install multiple OP switches. Have one on the oil filter line and this is used for the charging circuit. Then another one by the port next to the carb, and this one is for the idler.
    Just add a relay and you can power anything you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Is there a drawing for that? I'm not the brightest when it comes to electrical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DD-YATES View Post
    The relay will electrically look like any old toggle switch,,
    instead of having a handle,, the voltage from the oil pressure switch will "actuate" the relay,,

If you can install a simple toggle switch, you are only two wires from installing a relay.

Post Thanks / Like

Just be sure when finished installing it won't start when not pressing the override button.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DD-YATES View Post
    I don't have one because I'm not really sure what you expect to use to do this. Best recommendation I have is find a good local automotive electrical guy to show you. Way too many ways to do this.
    There is a thread in this Lincoln forum from a guy that wanted to use Murphy switch gauges on an SA200 for engine protection.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist