Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deal Or Did I Screw Up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deal Or Did I Screw Up?

As far as cutting steel with an angle grinder,,,,
    We all have our beliefs,, but,,
    I bought my first Makita 4.5" angle grinder in 1982,, it still works.
    All together, i have +or- real close to ten angle grinders,,
    three plug-in variable speed Milwaukee ,, the Makita, an 18V Milwaukee "FUEL",, and a few others.

I used a thin disk one time,, I used it as a cut-off wheel to remove a rusted bolt.
    That was the last cut I ever made with an angle grinder.
    It was before the internet,, I could just visualize that thin wheel grabbing in the cut groove, and the wheel exploding.
    Even with all the right safety gear,, that wheel has WAY too much power if it breaks, and shards head DIRECTLY for some body part of mine.

My #1 cutting tool is a Milwaukee corded Port-a-Band,, I have owned it since before cordless tools. I use about 3 or 4 blades a year.
    If you have one of those, and are careful with it, you know 3 blades worth of cutting is an ENORMOUS amount of cutting.

I also have two horizontal bandsaws, a 4x6, and a 9X16,, They get frequent use.

So, the internet exists now,, research the issue of the thin disks coming apart for yourself, and decide if angle grinder cutting is for you.
    I may be overly cautious, but, that Port-a-Band puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

The 4x6 horizontal bandsaw is very inexpensive,, (especially compared to an eye,,,)
    the best thing about that saw is there are probably DOZENS of projects on the internet to upgrade that saw,, using welding.

If you buy that saw now,, it could keep you busy until Thanksgiving with welding projects,,
    plus the materials these guys use to upgrade their saw is almost always free or very low cost.

Buying the saw now is a double win,, it does the cutting,, and it gives you GREAT beginner welding projects.

As far as a cheater lens,, and LASIK surgery,, HOW OLD ARE YOU??
    If you are 40 years old, or older, the cheater lens will be a miracle cure for vision.

If you are under 40YO,, you can wait on the lens.
    40 just happens to be the magic number,, when you hit that age,, the eyes just change, as far as close vision,,

I have watched a LOT of guys go past 40 and resist getting the vision aid. WHY?? Get it,, if you do not need it now,, you will in a few years,,
    There is ZERO chance that the under $10 purchase will be a waste,, (if it bothers you,, just don't tell anyone,, just enjoy it in silence,,,)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    That table might work, depending on how stable it is. As for the cover plate, 1/4" plate weighs 10.2 lb. per sq. ft., so you can figure out how much a cover plate would weigh.
    Oh damn that's heavy as hell! I'll have to look up the weight capacity on this standing desk thing first. I could use it without elevating it since the top base sits on the metal framing when not extended.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    As far as cutting steel with an angle grinder,,,,
    I used a thin disk one time,, I used it as a cut-off wheel to remove a rusted bolt.
    That was the last cut I ever made with an angle grinder.
    It was before the internet,, I could just visualize that thin wheel grabbing in the cut groove, and the wheel exploding.
    Even with all the right safety gear,, that wheel has WAY too much power if it breaks, and shards head DIRECTLY for some body part of mine.

My #1 cutting tool is a Milwaukee corded Port-a-Band,, I have owned it since before cordless tools. I use about 3 or 4 blades a year.
    If you have one of those, and are careful with it, you know 3 blades worth of cutting is an ENORMOUS amount of cutting.

I also have two horizontal bandsaws, a 4x6, and a 9X16,, They get frequent use.

So, the internet exists now,, research the issue of the thin disks coming apart for yourself, and decide if angle grinder cutting is for you.
    I may be overly cautious, but, that Port-a-Band puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

The 4x6 horizontal bandsaw is very inexpensive,, (especially compared to an eye,,,)
    the best thing about that saw is there are probably DOZENS of projects on the internet to upgrade that saw,, using welding.

If you buy that saw now,, it could keep you busy until Thanksgiving with welding projects,,
    plus the materials these guys use to upgrade their saw is almost always free or very low cost.

As far as a cheater lens,, and LASIK surgery,, HOW OLD ARE YOU??
    If you are 40 years old, or older, the cheater lens will be a miracle cure for vision.

If you are under 40YO,, you can wait on the lens.
    40 just happens to be the magic number,, when you hit that age,, the eyes just change, as far as close vision,,

I have watched a LOT of guys go past 40 and resist getting the vision aid. WHY?? Get it,, if you do not need it now,, you will in a few years,,
    There is ZERO chance that the under $10 purchase will be a waste,, (if it bothers you,, just don't tell anyone,, just enjoy it in silence,,,)
    Yep I saw some videos on YouTube made by Weld.com about welding safety and they went into angle grinders in detail. I actually had no idea the cutting disks could explode like that when I first used them so was just wearing eye and ear pro. After watching that video I wear my welding helmet on the grind setting, ear pro, eye pro under the helmet, my welding jacket with leather sleeves and the torso part tucked into my pants, thick jeans/work pants, and my old leather military boots.

A bandsaw would be really nice to have but I'm already running out of space in my garage. The grinder is nice since it's small and I can either hang it up on my peg board wall or put it in my huge toolbox. I may get a port-a-band saw or jigsaw in the near future though. They seem like a great, safer tool to have and they are relatively small. For the angle grinder, I'll just use the size wheel that fits the angle grinder. I'm not into modding stuff that exceeds safe operating speeds/tolerances. Seems like that's one of the big issues with grinder safety along with not inspecting the wheels before use, not using the guard properly, common sense things like unplugging the tool before changing wheels, proper PPE, etc.

For the vision thing, I'm not sure how this started lol. My vision is great so far, I have not noticed any diminishing at all. When/if my near or far vision decreases I have no issue with cheater lenses, reading glasses, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

This just popped up on my Facebook feed.
    It might be an option as well.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

4. Likes wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    This just popped up on my Facebook feed.
    It might be an option as well.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Oh nice! I may sign up for the layout table course too in addition to the 16 hr beginner MIG class this weekend. I don't know what the hell a welding layout table means lol. Looks to be what I imagine and call a welding table though so maybe layout table is the official name of it. $385 for the instruction and a welding table sounds like a great deal! So the beginner MIG class, the welding layout table course, and (if I decide to take it after I speak to the instructor this weekend about what the course teaches) the advanced/intermediate MIG class should get me off and running I hope.

On another note, I just looked up angle grinder guards and it seems I've been using the wrong guard for the cut off wheels. Evidently I need a Type 1 enclosed guard and I've been using the basic grinding guard. Whoops. I also have one of those grinders with screw on guards vs the lockable, swivel guards. I may have to sell this grinder I have on Craigslist or something and upgrade to a grinder with the lockable swivel type guard and get a Type 1 guard. Or, better yet, get two grinders with the lockable swivel guards. One grinder for grinding with the open type guard and another for cutting with the Type 1/closed guard.