Thread: Connecting gas to a Miller Cricket??

Post Thanks / Like

Connecting gas to a Miller Cricket??

I acquired a Miller Cricket XL and it already has the gas hardware kit installed on it. I need a nipple fitting that goes into the solenoid valve to connect the gas supply hose. The Miller manual describes the solenoid valve as "1/4 IPS port 1/8 orf".

Can someone here decipher that for me? I looked up IPS and it describes it as Iron Pipe Standard. Does the 1/8 orf mean orifice size?

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Connecting gas to a Miller Cricket??

Quote Originally Posted by straightaxle65 View Post
    I acquired a Miller Cricket XL and it already has the gas hardware kit installed on it. I need a nipple fitting that goes into the solenoid valve to connect the gas supply hose. The Miller manual describes the solenoid valve as "1/4 IPS port 1/8 orf".

Can someone here decipher that for me? I looked up IPS and it describes it as Iron Pipe Standard. Does the 1/8 orf mean orifice size?

Thanks for your help.
    5/8-18 inert gas to a 1/4" IPS is a specialized part likely originally supplied with the solenoid kit. You may have to try a 1/4" NPT and epoxy the threads so it seals.

https://www.amazon.com/Welding-Fitti...7147SFW5&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like

I found what I needed. It's a 1/4" Inert Kit, Radnor part number 64003964

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.airgas.com/product/Gas-E.../p/RAD64003964

That is a standard 5/8-18 inert gas fitting to barbed hose. Nothing there to fit 1/4" IPS that you said you were trying to fit. Made it sound as though the 5/8-18 fitting was not in the solenoid valve.

Knew you didn't find and 5/8-18 to 1/4" !PS as I looked for 2 hours for you. Oh boy. You only needed a standard 5/8"-18 fitting/hose. Lol.

5/8-18 is a standard inlet size for Miller machines and Lincoln too. Those are dime a dozen and standard for inert gas. You don't have to look for those. They are everywhere by the dozens.

https://www.amazon.com/inert-gas-hos...inert+gas+hose

https://store.cyberweld.com/powerwel...-pw-ah-10.html

Just get the proper hose already made up if it really is 5/8-18 inert gas thread you have and are trying to fit.

Premade hoses are cheap. Unless your regulator is not 5/8"-18 and yor using a barbed fitting connection there to.

Even if Regulator only has nipple. You can take that out and usually get 1/4" NPT to 5/8" -18 B size fitting and then use premade hoses. So much cleaner installation with the premade hoses.

Last edited by danielplace; 10-16-2021 at 10:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the time you took looking. The reason I was looking for 1/4" IPS is because that's what the Miller factory manual for that machine had listed. After further inspection I realized what was actually needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by straightaxle65 View Post
    I appreciate the time you took looking. The reason I was looking for 1/4" IPS is because that's what the Miller factory manual for that machine had listed. After further inspection I realized what was actually needed.
    Yes sir. I understand that is exactly what happened. The solenoid description had us on a goose chase. Happy for you it was so simple after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't no why but as I've gotten older I make things complicated from time to time. It should be the other way around

Post Thanks / Like

That is too funny. I know I never used to forget where I parked the dang car when I come out of Lowes. Now iIf it weren't for the panic button I would be reporting it stolen half the time.

What was the straight axle '65 ? Love the old straight axle's under a early front end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    That is too funny. I know I never used to forget where I parked the dang car when I come out of Lowes. Now iIf it weren't for the panic button I would be reporting it stolen half the time.

What was the straight axle '65 ? Love the old straight axle's under a early front end.
    At the time I joined this sight I was starting to build a 65 Plymouth altered wheelbase drag car with a straight axle so I thought that would be a good username. I ended up selling the 65 to finance finishing another car but would still like to do an altered wheelbase car one day.