Thread: Rating my welding, please!

Post Thanks / Like

Rating my welding, please!

Hey, first post here. I bought a Lincoln AC 225 probably 10 years ago. Did a weld here or there, and thought I'd start really trying to get decent at it. I've been more of a "wood guy" making most of the furniture in my living room, so I thought this would be a good compliment to my woodworking skills. Then I bought a cheap flux core from Amazon and trying to mess around with that as well

Anyway, would love some feedback on these. I'm running 7014 on one side, 7018 on the other, 3/32. Both at 90A with the Lincoln.

Name:  20211015_155643-14.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  96.9 KBName:  20211015_155711-14.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  55.3 KBName:  20211015_163354-14.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  78.6 KBName:  20211015_155654-18.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  65.8 KBName:  20211015_161844-18.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  56.0 KB

The main thing I seem to be having a problem with is ending the weld so it goes to the end of the plate. Always seems to get too hot and flat. Advice is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating my welding, please!

For the most part, those welds will hold. Your pin holes might be from a long arc. The end of the plate takes lots of practice, cause the plates are real hot. Keep practicing !
    It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Post Thanks / Like

You may consider just padding beads before getting into different joints...just to get your baseline better.

Many of those beads show a travel speed that's too fast and/or too much stick angle causing a V shaped bead rather than U. Also it appears you're either speeding up and slowing down or aren't getting in a position from which you can move smoothly from start to finish so it's more herky jerky and it shows in the bead profile....thin slices then a big blob, then more thin slices.

With that said, they wouldn't fall apart and they're a lot better than many folks post asking for feedback!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I learned some basics of stick welding when I was a kid. When I decided I wanted to be really good at it I was working at the gas utility company. I was getting private lessons in the weld shop and practicing at home. I got proficient at 6010 root, hot, cap and 7018 hot and cap. Since I opened up my own welding contracting company I primarily MIG weld, but still occasionally stick weld.

Almost all of my stick welding is 7018. Any position. Just get good at that one rod and it will serve you very well from thick to thin, overhead vertical, flat. It is a strong rod, it is very easily manipulated. You can always find it. Put all the other stick rods aside and practice 7018. If you get stuck there are plenty of 7018 videos. People can easily read 7018 pictures to tell you what you did wrong. It is fairly easy to weld with flat and make good looking welds that are strong. By all means learn how to use your FC welder as well, but stick with the one rod on the stick welder and learn it well.

5. Likes Kelvin, Josey, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The main thing I seem to be having a problem with is ending the weld so it goes to the end of the plate. Always seems to get too hot and flat. Advice is appreciated!
    No experience w 7018, and elders will chime in w proper advice, but this looks cold to me.

Name:  0CF5B5CA-90C0-4CD8-B485-90F15733AD12.jpeg
Views: 137
Size:  278.0 KB

To that end, Iíve modified my end treatments and get some improvement by tacking hot and hard on both corners. Then I start the arc ahead of the first tack, get a good flow, long arc and back over to wash the leading tack. When I end, I hold at the ending tack, smooth out the tack and fill in the fisheye. No pro but itís better with each passing year.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

The beads need to lap tighter. They look good for starting out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, keep em coming! I will monitoring my rod angle more and try to get smoother in the passes. I've run a ton of beads on a plate, and switch between that and a fillet. It's just fun sticking two pieces together :-)

As far as the ends, so built up a tack first on each end to give it some mass, is that what I'm understanding?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by larrybud View Post
    Thanks, keep em coming! I will monitoring my rod angle more and try to get smoother in the passes. I've run a ton of beads on a plate, and switch between that and a fillet. It's just fun sticking two pieces together :-)

As far as the ends, so built up a tack first on each end to give it some mass, is that what I'm understanding?
    Itís what Iíve been doing since I have trouble getting good stops. Less so in starts. Plus the tacks help to preheat the material. I also will backstep and weld to the center from both sides. Best to experiment and find what works for you. Again Iím only a hobbyist.

Regards