+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best helmet for tig?

Post Thanks / Like

Best helmet for tig?

I've been using a speedglas 9000x.. works fine for mig stick and ac tig but on dc tig it doesn't really switch properly. I've tried different sensitivity and the tig modes but then it acts as a fixed shade.
    It's probably a 25 yr old helmet, Dad had 2 of them so have me this one. We got our moneys worth and I'll continue to use it at work where I do odd welding jobs here and there.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on what helmet you would say is the best? I do stick, tig and some mig.. Mostly just for my own use not a welder for a living. My weld shop carries all the bigger brands

coworker has a optrel from when he welded for a living and it's nicer than my spedglas and it's pretty old too. I guess everyone will have a favorite.

Was thinking either betweent he following 3, lincoln 3350 or optrel but not sure on e684 vs crystal? or miller infinity

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best helmet for tig?

A auto hood works great
    Look for one that is adjustable shade.
    You buy one $50.00 and up

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nick121 View Post
    I've been using a speedglas 9000x.. works fine for mig stick and ac tig but on dc tig it doesn't really switch properly. I've tried different sensitivity and the tig modes but then it acts as a fixed shade.
    It's probably a 25 yr old helmet, Dad had 2 of them so have me this one. We got our moneys worth and I'll continue to use it at work where I do odd welding jobs here and there.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on what helmet you would say is the best? I do stick, tig and some mig.. Mostly just for my own use not a welder for a living. My weld shop carries all the bigger brands

coworker has a optrel from when he welded for a living and it's nicer than my spedglas and it's pretty old too. I guess everyone will have a favorite.

Was thinking either betweent he following 3, lincoln 3350 or optrel but not sure on e684 vs crystal? or miller infinity

3. Dislikes nick121 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Optrel crystal, panoramaxx, vega view, or e684. Arc one has an awesome auto dark filter as well. These helmets actually allow you to see the colors that is reality, instead of a green haze. Also, the isofit optrel headgear is second to none. YMMV but I doubt it...
    Sanrex Sanstick 140s(wtl 140)
    Primeweld 225x
    Coolmate 3
    Primeweld Cut50
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 acdc
    Miller Shopmate 300( best wire arc!co2!)
    Miller 8vs
    Miller s22p12
    Everlast 210stl
    Powcon 300sm

5. Likes nick121, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Yeah I've always used the green haze helmets lol. I'm definitely leaning to optrel especially if the head gear is really good.

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB Sentinel A-50

8. Likes sapperb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the optrel e684 and really like it

I have a pre clearlight Miller Digital Infinity and it's ok but definitely front heavy, because of such a large lens

I have a Miller clearlight Digital Elite and like it

I only do TIG welding and the Optrel is my current favorite, I don't like that it requires their own mag lens while the
    Millers use a standard mag lens

While the Optrel Crystal has a brighter view when NOT welding the 684 is pretty good and this feature
    isn't that important to me for what I weld

Don't want to spend $$$$ right now, then the Stryker hood from USA Weld is supposed to be very good for $$
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

10. Likes nick121 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Yeah I don't think the super bright view when not welding is all that important. Long as I can see good where I'm starting. I thought I wanted the biggest lens but a good headgear and ergonomics would likely be better. I find my old speedglas headgear gets uncomfortable pretty quick sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

I does come down to how must money you want to spend.
    My hood is a Lincoln I found at Home depot on sale for $50.00 just lucky

Name brands typically last longer.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nick121 View Post

Post Thanks / Like

one of these, lightweight, easy to flip the shade lense with a flick of the head very clear view of the arc, costs like $7 and can get nice variety of lense types and shades.

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln Viking 3350 4c with outside grind mode button. I have a 3350 4c not the latest and I have the http Stryker. I can vouch for both. In clarity it is hard for me to tell any difference between the two. I got the Stryker on sale a couple years back for less than $90.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the lesser Lincoln 2450 model and really like it. Bought on sale 10 years ago.

Best value for what I've tried (and my go to) is this Weldcote. Prob in the $100 range. Great clarity and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

16. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite TIG hood is an Optrel Crystal 2.0. It is better than my e684. The Lincoln Viking 3350c is almost as good.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these and ware my normal glasses under it, both Tig and Mig welding fair price big window good head gear too.
    https://www.eastwood.com/panoramic-v...ng-helmet.html
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist