+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Shop Guys What is a tool you use frequently that is out of the norm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small Shop Guys What is a tool you use frequently that is out of the norm

I use an old B&D Workmate with 1/8" sheet over the top for my portable welding table in the driveway.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my jig table a lot, it's flat and strong. 20mm plate and 100mm box section frame, I made it a couple of years back. I use it for pre-setting bends in materials before welding, so they can come out flat and straight - or sometimes use clamps to bend them straight again after welding.

Name:  2021-08-02 20.00.33.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  98.7 KB

For some of the stronger stuff i do, my table isn't quite man enough, so I've made various jigs to achieve the same thing. But I spied this machine bed last month at auction and I had to have it.

Name:  2021-10-05 18.40.13.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  92.9 KB

8ft long, 2ft wide, 4" deep, probably half a ton weight or more. It's a beast! I'm making a box section frame for it and it will roll on castors.
    It's strong enough that I'll be able to put any clamping/bending force I like through it. It's also ideal dimensions for welding my trestle legs out on.

A little uncommon for a small fab shop to have something this accurate, but it works for how i do things, so...
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

3. Likes VaughnT, Lis2323, whtbaron, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprised you still have the chuck shield on that lathe. It was the first thing that hit the trash barrel when I set my lathe up, and started using it. Total PITA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Surprised you still have the chuck shield on that lathe. It was the first thing that hit the trash barrel when I set my lathe up, and started using it. Total PITA.
    I like things to look good for safety standards, for any customers and passers-by...! and it's a nicely made thing that slides back and forth and doesn't get in the way. I use it every time.

It's supposed to be linked to the E stop circuit for current machinery standards but I don't think anyone cares enough to enforce it in small shops like mine. Unless there's an accident.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn thing interfered with the full swing on the lathe. I used every bit of swing for this thing............clears the ways by about 1/4"

Name:  broken wheel105.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  broken wheel108.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  115.2 KB

Got rid of the stupid guard, rotated the guard shaft to fool the electronics, and progress resumed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I use my jig table a lot, it's flat and strong. 20mm plate and 100mm box section frame, I made it a couple of years back. I use it for pre-setting bends in materials before welding, so they can come out flat and straight - or sometimes use clamps to bend them straight again after welding.

Name:  2021-08-02 20.00.33.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  98.7 KB

For some of the stronger stuff i do, my table isn't quite man enough, so I've made various jigs to achieve the same thing. But I spied this machine bed last month at auction and I had to have it.

Name:  2021-10-05 18.40.13.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  92.9 KB

8ft long, 2ft wide, 4" deep, probably half a ton weight or more. It's a beast! I'm making a box section frame for it and it will roll on castors.
    It's strong enough that I'll be able to put any clamping/bending force I like through it. It's also ideal dimensions for welding my trestle legs out on.

A little uncommon for a small fab shop to have something this accurate, but it works for how i do things, so...
    I want a machine bed like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

8. Likes Munkul, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on type work you doing.
    I had a shop built electric Hydraulic press for forming parts. It bend up to 1 x 8 flat bar.
    It was made from scrap 3/4" plate Hydraulic cylinder from farm supply store and pump for car lift.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    Just curious what guys have that weld part time, side Hussle or beer money use that is out of the norm??? I imagine we all have grinders, band saws, radio and refrigerator.
    I weld in my 2 car garage and space is very limited.
    My magnetic drill has been very helpful as is my 20 ton press with the Swag Off Road press brake.

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay you can have as many tools in your shop as you can afford but it’s paramount you take care of the BIGGEST tool first. (That’s you, by the way)

Maybe a small insulated corner with a comfy chair where you can take a break before proceeding to weld that part on upside down because you’re tired. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

12. Likes whtbaron, Reebz, _Weldman_, VaughnT, Munkul, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PC with internet connections to look up how to do things and for tunes. I have an old beater running Linux using pianobar to stream Pandora.
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

14. Likes whtbaron, Reebz, Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How bout this?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

16. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, _Weldman_, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Assistant or first aid attendant ....

Man I love Heidi
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

18. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Man I love Heidi
    Name:  049.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  048.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  22.0 KB
    Name:  045.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  25.3 KB

It's not this pretty and shiny anymore, but I use my post anvil all the time. Of course if Heidi would show up to help...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

20. Likes Stick-man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great
    Like to use of a disk break too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Name:  049.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  048.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  22.0 KB
    Name:  045.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  25.3 KB

It's not this pretty and shiny anymore, but I use my post anvil all the time. Of course if Heidi would show up to help...

22. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay you can have as many tools in your shop as you can afford but it’s paramount you take care of the BIGGEST tool first. (That’s you, by the way)

Maybe a small insulated corner with a comfy chair where you can take a break before proceeding to weld that part on upside down because you’re tired. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's so not a real picture. That desk should have piles of papers everywhere.

Why is it my desk cant go 24 hrs without it just piling up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

24. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be absolutely lost without this.

Post Thanks / Like

I plugged up the tandem disk with mud a couple times this year doing low spots. I found the best way to clean them up was with the air chisel. Mostly clay though, not as much organic matter as you're showing...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I plugged up the tandem disk with mud a couple times this year doing low spots. I found the best way to clean them up was with the air chisel. Mostly clay though, not as much organic matter as you're showing...
    What about those baby rocks you breed? They get stuck between the blades and scraper?

:

Post Thanks / Like

What about those baby rocks you breed? They get stuck between the blades and scraper?

Occasionally, but not usually on their own. Problem is when they get rolled up in the wet clay that turns into plastocene between the discs....the bigger problem with the rocks is the grandparents stuck in the ground that will break a HD disk or crack frame rails. The only disk I've run here without periodic breakdowns was a rented Wishek... that's one tough disk.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 11-24-2021 at 01:33 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these!
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-11-24 131958.png
Views: 491
Size:  333.7 KB

Most of the other shops I've been in appear to not own one of these!

30. Likes whtbaron, LtBadd, Munkul, Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a tractor with scraper

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    I have one of these!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    I have one of these!

I don't recall ever seeing one.

Maybe bring it over some time and show me how it works

:

33. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

in all seriousness... cousin brought a 36" brush down to the shop one day... unbelievable how much faster sweeping up the shop is compared to using the old 20" one. Bigger is better!

35. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad was on the edge of a field or something and its really rare. We were busy and he come in for a knife and was going to cut that out, all sand and wrapped and it was about 90 degrees out. I said, you go get coffee, I take it out.
    The slang term for the machine is steamer but I never do, I hot wash. I use some hot where cold would work and it adds to the cost but cleans film so well. I wash a car or 2 on most days. I clean a lot of them when they come in, in winter sometimes every day before the ice really builds. When its really bitter I park the daily drivers and even my plow truck in the shop.
    Thesteamer is one of my really high use tools, I have so many jobs I do with it, my solvent tank stays really clean as I wash most stuff with water. Its so good and easy and simple, fast with it plumbed in and flip of a switch. I had it a long time, if I was starting over and paying men to run it much would get a size larger maybe and run on LP. I moved/loaded it a couple times but it has really been parked and I have a portable.
    I should have a pre heat, even solar tank as my water is cold and it would save a little but be added work too.

37. Likes whtbaron, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    in all seriousness... cousin brought a 36" brush down to the shop one day... unbelievable how much faster sweeping up the shop is compared to using the old 20" one. Bigger is better!
    You must be a lot more careful than me.

I limit myself to 24". Anything bigger (even with a braced sweeping head) and I'm catching table legs and snapping handles.

:

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist