Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small Shop Guys What is a tool you use frequently that is out of the norm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small Shop Guys What is a tool you use frequently that is out of the norm

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Use the washer a lot.
    Me too. The best tool for maintenance and repair.

Hot water pressure washer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

2. Likes Munkul, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is as effective for quick improvement as hot wash. I should have got another before after truck pic yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all might find it funny, and I really don't care ...............................the most valuable tool that gets used the most.....................an old sharpened screwdriver. Invaluable for gappy fitups. If you need to hold dimensions, and not have the gap shrink when the weld cools............wedge it with the screwdriver, and put a HEAVY tack next to it. The tack will hold the gap as you finish weld, without allowing the gap to close up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Y'all might find it funny, and I really don't care ...............................the most valuable tool that gets used the most.....................an old sharpened screwdriver. Invaluable for gappy fitups. If you need to hold dimensions, and not have the gap shrink when the weld cools............wedge it with the screwdriver, and put a HEAVY tack next to it. The tack will hold the gap as you finish weld, without allowing the gap to close up.
    I agree. Over the years Ive assembled a collection of wedges that are used frequently for welding projects, machinery repair and general construction setups.

:

6. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I agree. Over the years I’ve assembled a collection of wedges that are used frequently for welding projects, machinery repair and general construction setups.

I have quite a selection of wedges too, but I have to confess, I have a couple of thinned down pet screwdrivers too.

8. Likes Lis2323, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I grind on screwdrivers, it's usually old Phillip's screwdrivers that I'm grinding to a point. Great for poking air holes in chemical containers when you don't want to waste time with the factory vents.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

10. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hot water pressure washer for me to, is a tool used all the time even though it doesnt look like it. Its a 11 horse single phase i have a separate meter on my shop and when i moved it from the house power to the shop power my house dropped 50 an month and my shop jumped 50 a month and that doesn’t include the 15 or so gallons of diesel a month. I switched to one of those turbo style nozzles and that cut washing time by quite a bit. I Try to at least rough wash the equipment every time it comes in to the yard, otherwise if i wait a month its 4 plus hours to get it somewhat clean again.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Hot water wash saved our butts for repainting heavy equipment.

We would use our Genie articulated boom manlift to make it easier on the operator to wash trailers and the excavator.

We used Sky Blue to wash and rinse which left no residue.

:

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A come along comes invaluable for pulling parts together, or using with a homemade gantry crane for lifting heavy objects.

Wedges and large clamps. Oxyacetylene torch is also pretty indispensable. There's also a smith mini-torch that uses very little gas and can be used for torch welding sheet metal and brazing or smaller objects without having to refill the cylinders all the time.

I have an old 3 jaw lathe chuck that has too much slop which I'm planning on using for a positioner project eventually. An old 3 jaw can be useful to hold things in place for the 20 ton press, rather than those blocks that come with them, and adjusts to the size of the work.

Andy
    ESAB 350 MPI
    ESAB 330I CVCC
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Eastwood TIG 200
    Hobart Ironman 240
    Hobart Plasma Cutter
    Lincoln 110v MIG
    CH 110v MIG
    MK Industries Cobramatic with Prince XL
    Miller XR Wire Feeder

15. Likes whtbaron, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  03417AD9-9393-4553-A5E4-2CA5433B32DA.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  126.4 KB
    Vise-grip attachment for shop built slide hammer.
    Used for pulling mechanical seals, oil seals, dowel
    pins in blind holes etc. I should have welded the
    coupling nut on at a different angle for a straighter
    pull, but it works well and gets used often. Im
    guessing Im not the first person to think of this.
    Someone may sell something similar.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

17. Likes whtbaron, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_2323.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  87.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2315.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  295.8 KB

Another variation on the Vice Grip theme.... I made coarse/fine thread adapters out of extended nuts and welded them. After I was done they told me some slide hammers actually come with that adapter...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

19. Likes 12V71, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Name:  IMG_2323.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  87.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2315.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  295.8 KB

Another variation on the Vice Grip theme.... I made coarse/fine thread adapters out of extended nuts and welded them. After I was done they told me some slide hammers actually come with that adapter...
    Roger that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Me too. The best tool for maintenance and repair.

Hot water pressure washer….

What is the tractor used for with the extra wide tires, no seat and platform on the side, a sod cutter or something?

Post Thanks / Like

And a good set of pullers for anyone that does any amount of mechanical, automotive or restoration work

:

24. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Save your quality anvil for smithing.

Find something heavy you can beat on.

:

26. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    What is the tractor used for with the extra wide tires, no seat and platform on the side, a sod cutter or something?
    The sod harvester conveyor usually mounted on the right has been removed.

The platform is so that I can get on and off the tractor (while it is moving) without tripping over my shoelaces and getting run over in the middle of the farm at 2am.

:

28. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those pullers look awesome Terry. I prefer most designs of puller with a positive locking system - means you can make them work even with poor grip!
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

30. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 11" rivet buster is surprisingly useful....
    1/4 steel bin, tractor bucket ect all torn up, no problem, smash it together as far as you can till the spring is too much, weld, repeat.

Much faster than messing with porta powers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Those pullers look awesome Terry. I prefer most designs of puller with a positive locking system - means you can make them work even with poor grip!
    "Every picture tells a story"

Rod Stewart.

:

33. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it.

When I was an apprentice we got some SKF pullers, with the locking ring at the top they were a revelation. Maybe not the same degree of locking as those, but enough to make life a LOT easier. I always wanted a set of SKF pullers for myself after that.
    They threw out this 300mm puller last year because the centre spigot threads had been damaged. I claimed it and made a new threaded spigot. It's had a LOT of beating over the 10 years of its life (I think a new screw at some point too) but it still works great

Name:  2021-04-08 21.35.57.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  91.9 KB
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

35. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a favorite of mine. Switchable magnetic hanger.

This one is branded Ridgid but made by Magswitch.

:

37. Likes whtbaron, Reebz liked this post