Thread: Spray transfer with C25 gas.

Post Thanks / Like

Spray transfer with C25 gas.

A bloke posted a thread a few days ago asking about it and got a fair bit of "it's not possible" and such, I've always maintained that it's not only possible but if the steel is heavy enough the results are quite good, I think that once you get to the current density required for spray with it's a question of more volts.

This is on a lincoln V350 pro, ln 25 feeder, .035 hyundai SM-70 ER70s-6 wire, C25 gas.

Running 800 IPM, 39.5 volts, 3/4 inch of stick out 230 amp for a 10mm (just over 3/8") single run fillet, for a 6mm (1/4" leg length fillet) I run more stick out (1 1/4") and 37.5 volts with the same 800 IPM which still gives a nice spray at around 190 amps with C25.

2. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray transfer with C25 gas.

Nice beads. To me they look more like hi amps short circuit. Did it sound like spray going down?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    Nice beads. To me they look more like hi amps short circuit. Did it sound like spray going down?
    Just a nice hiss noise, I haven't cleaned the spatter off on that pic, you'll see on the shorter weld there's some spatter, that was done at the same 800 IPM (20 M/M) but at only 35.5 volts, not enough to get into spray with C25, the longer bead has a little bit of spatter where the wire rammed into the base metal on the start but otherwise completely clean as spray should be.

sounded very similar to this bead, although this was done with 5% Co2 2% O2 .030 at 30 volts and 600 IPM.

Last edited by ttoks; 10-20-2021 at 06:30 AM.

5. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice welds.

I didn't want to get involved, but our "heavy" gas is 18-20% CO2 and 2.5% O2. Designed for spray arc welding heavy sections.

1 O2 is equivelent to 2 CO2 in welding terms (told this by a Lincoln welding engineer) so in effect, heavy gas mix is similar to C25.

You just need the volts to drive the arc, and you'll get incredible weld energy and penetration. Most 400a+ MIG power sources can drive voltage up to 40 volts plus.

They don't look like SC welds to me, that's how a lot of our welds look - a short spray arc with a bit of crackle and a turbulent weld pool gives that rough look.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

7. Likes ttoks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Nice welds.

I didn't want to get involved, but our "heavy" gas is 18-20% CO2 and 2.5% O2. Designed for spray arc welding heavy sections.

1 O2 is equivelent to 2 CO2 in welding terms (told this by a Lincoln welding engineer) so in effect, heavy gas mix is similar to C25.

You just need the volts to drive the arc, and you'll get incredible weld energy and penetration. Most 400a+ MIG power sources can drive voltage up to 40 volts plus.

They don't look like SC welds to me, that's how a lot of our welds look - a short spray arc with a bit of crackle and a turbulent weld pool gives that rough look.
    We have a very similar blend to your "heavy" BOC argoshield Universal is 16% Co2 and 2.75% oxygen, the BOC Argoshield 52 I used here is 25% Co2, or C25, we mostly use it for either high amperage Chome-moly (B2/B3) or for dual shield, but I wanted to make a point.

I'm pretty sure the rough look is a result of the high amperage and slightly turbulent weld pool, I know if i keep the same wire feed (20 meter/m) and run more stick out I can drop the voltage down to as low as 36.5 and still spray transfer at much lower amperage, and the weld appearance become almost glass smooth, but the depth of fusion start's to become borderline on a T joint as the amp's drop to low (around 180-190ish), that works very well for limiting heat input on butt welds or on large multipass welds other than the root pass, I recently did some 22mm leg length 15 run fillet welds where I was able to keep my heat input below .8kj/mm while also welding at 550mm per minute travel speed on some B3 chrome-moly plate running 800 IPM 36.5 volts, 1 1/4" stick out and 180 amps.
    Last edited by ttoks; 10-20-2021 at 08:10 AM.

9. Likes Munkul liked this post