+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to Learn Welding, best tool for my needs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to Learn Welding, best tool for my needs?

The Harbor Freight Titanium 125 will be a great machine for what you're doing. I've built around 2500 feet of pipe fence and it's been a workhorse. It worked really well off my generator. I did get a 50 foot 10g extension cord and haven't had a problem. Also very easy to set up and learn on. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

There are many versions of older transformer based 4 tap machines: the 140C, the 140HD , the ProMig 140. The one that I posted was the newer Inverter based machine powermig 140MP. I can't speak to the performance of the lincoln machine, but I would assume it would be improved in its efficiency running on a 120v circuit.
    I can say that I ran the Primeweld 160 cranked up to max with mig wire, flux core, and even ran 1/8" 7018(@110A) on 2 separate 120v circuits, and didn't trip a breaker. My Lincoln 210mp tripped on one of these breakers running stick before. Normally I run 1/8" 7018 at about 120A, but this didn't seem all that cold, just didn't travel as fast.

Has Miller, or Hobart come out with a 120v only MIG/stick inverter machine yet ? Maybe Eastwood, or Everlast ?

Well, haven't heard from the OP lately, maybe he got the Hobart already.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

What generator did you run it with ?
    Last edited by albrightree; 10-28-2021 at 09:20 PM.
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
    The Harbor Freight Titanium 125 will be a great machine for what you're doing. I've built around 2500 feet of pipe fence and it's been a workhorse. It worked really well off my generator. I did get a 50 foot 10g extension cord and haven't had a problem. Also very easy to set up and learn on. Good luck.
    What generator did you run it with ?
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

It's a Champion 9375/7500 I got from Tractor Supply. Runs the welder and a Mansaver(brand name) t-post and pipe pounder at the same time with no problems. We've got 200 acres in Central TX and I've got it in a trailer I got from Lowes. Pullit with the gator and I can work anywhere on the place. Can also plug the HF into the 110 in the barn and keep going.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone again for the great suggestions! I can see that I have a lot to consider.

Albrighttree: I have 5500 watt Briggs & Stratton. Should be good enough if I need to go that route. Also, that Lincoln unit seems like exactly what I was describing initially. Definitely will look into it.

Oscar: That's a neat little unit. I'd have to agree with what Munkul wrote and say that I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a brand I'd never heard of. Harbor Freight is as low end as I would consider.

Count: Great advice! My plan is to cut the tops at 45 deg and weld them together, but leave the bottoms exposed to air. That's how all of my store bought gates are designed. It will need holes in the brace bars, though, hadn't considered that.

Sorry for the slow response time on my end. I'm squeezing this research in on my slow / bad weather days.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve run my Hobart 140 on 20 amp breaker and I’ve never had a problem. Good luck with your decision

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
    How long does a roll of wire last doing fencing? Flux core?

Post Thanks / Like

I went through 3 or 4 rolls of flux core, a pound each. Home Depot had the Lincoln at a discount for 3 or more rolls. Got another 300 feet left on a side trap and that should hold me until Spring. Everything's held up really. It got tested by the neighbor's bull, but it held him off with no issues.

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much everyone for the reviews! I've narrowed it down to three choices, but wanted to run a 4th option by you all.

My first choice, if money were no object, is the Lincoln Power Mig 140 MP, because it can do every thing I might need a welder for. The second, Hobart Handler 140, due to it's popularity, reliabilty, and moderate price. My third option, and right now the most likely choice is the Harbor Freight Titanium 125 due to LeonW's positive experience with it doing similar work, and it's price point for a newbie.

The other option I ran into is the Hobart Handler 125. It's a similar machine to the HF Titanium, but from a more reputable brand. I'd be willing to spend the extra $100 for a quality tool. Any thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist