+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel transfer tank skid

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel transfer tank skid

Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist led me to a pair of 36 gallon transfer tanks that were unused and bolted to a piece of plywood with wheels on them. I wanted to make them easy to move around on forks or in the bed of my pickup. I also wanted 12V fuel pump, filter, and a reasonable length hose. So I designed a skid that provides fork pockets for lifting and hose storage and battery mount.

The pair of tanks as I purchased them.
    Name:  20200315_192931.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  118.1 KB

Laser cut and press brake formed 10ga steel. There are three ribs underneath with a rectangular fork cutout on each rib. The idea is that both the diesel and the gas skid could be bolted together and then forked the long way.
    Name:  20200319_231300.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  109.7 KB

3/8" rod for hose management. You can also see the hex nuts I welded on underneath the battery location to provide clearance for the wire and not allow water to get trapped.
    Name:  20200320_090444.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  108.8 KB

In use. With it's big brother diesel transfer tank behind it. I get quite a number of these 12 volt 26 amp/hour batteries surplus from work. I have provisions for solar charging the battery, like I do on the diesel tank in the background. But I never got around to it for the first year. I pumped about 150 gallons of gasoline and the battery was still 30% full after a year.
    Name:  20200321_164653.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  114.4 KB

Pump, hose, and auto-off gasoline nozzle is a Fill-Rite FR1210HA:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXG474Y/

Filter is a Goldenrod 496-3/4:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXE6C/

I used 3/4" swivels on both ends of the hose to make the hose management a little better.

After a year of use I decided the gasoline one worked well enough that I might as well build the skid for the diesel tank. I improved the battery mounting / wiring access a little. It's all welded up and powder coated, just sitting on a shelf waiting for assembly. I'll take some better detail photos, if there is interest, when I assemble it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuel transfer tank skid

Very nice execution, as is the norm for your work. I probably would add a grounding wire spool to bound it to the pick up, or where ever it resides.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice...............I'd probably wind up just slapping something together.........I am truly a slob.

4. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I put the meter on my slip tank pump this year and is it ever nice. Sure beats taking it to a field over a mile away and finding out the tank is almost empty. It holds 600 liters so I just zero it when I refill and I know at a glance what's left.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

6. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I put the meter on my slip tank pump this year and is it ever nice. Sure beats taking it to a field over a mile away and finding out the tank is almost empty. It holds 600 liters so I just zero it when I refill and I know at a glance what's left.
    ELITEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just use a dipstick. I save the money for projects that always cost more than I thought, and take about 4 times as long as I figured

8. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say the butt cheeks puckered up a little with the $300 price tag... but it sure is nice to see it at a glance when you're in a hurry. I had also moved fuel to other locations when they needed it and needed a more accurate measurement for potential sales.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I like this a lot! I actually have a digital fuel meter I am planning on putting on the diesel one when I assemble it. But I was thinking it terms of seeing fuel consumption of various equipment. Which is only marginally interesting, because I can't do anything about it. But knowing when the tank is going to be empty is a whole lot more interesting! Always annoying to start a weekend of work by having to load up the fuel tank and go to town.

I have this one, which was $147 when I bought it in May:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXVM04A

11. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    I like this a lot! I actually have a digital fuel meter I am planning on putting on the diesel one when I assemble it.

But I was thinking it terms of seeing fuel consumption of various equipment.

Which is only marginally interesting, because I can't do anything about it.
    When I worked on the farm in the 1970's,, I drove the plow tractor,, a "turned up" 4630 JD that put out over 200HP on a PTO dyno,,
    When I was plowing,, I would start in the morning with a full 65 gallon fuel tank.

If someone was not there with a fuel tank within 5.5 hours,, I was "sweating bullets" , because I knew I would run out of fuel soon.
    That tractor was burning 11 gallons of fuel an hour,,

Prior to the 4630 being purchased,, the plowing was done with a JD 820 two cylinder,, (actually,, a couple of them!!)
    After lunch, you could dump two 5 gallon cans of fuel in the tank, and the 820 could plow until dark,, no more fuel was needed.

The two tractors had a "slightly" different per hour fuel consumption rate,,
    but, the 4630 could plow 90 acres in a long day, I am wondering if the 820 could do 90 acres in a week,,,??

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    If someone was not there with a fuel tank within 5.5 hours,, I was "sweating bullets" , because I knew I would run out of fuel soon.
    I have a gas powered 40' boom lift. 4 cylinder Ford industrial engine. Same as 1993 Mustang. But being gas powered, with a carb, and 25 years old, it isn't the best about starting. So once running, it is left running, to avoid being stranded up the air with an engine that won't start. That pig has a 30 gallon gas tank and it burns it quick. Probably about a long day. It's what got me started with these fuel tanks. The gas cap on it is probably 6ft up. Way too much gas consumption to do with 5 gallon cans.

15. Likes whtbaron, SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issue with the combine... I have to use the saddle tank because it's up too high for the gravity flow tanks in the yard.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

17. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    I like this a lot! I actually have a digital fuel meter I am planning on putting on the diesel one when I assemble it. But I was thinking it terms of seeing fuel consumption of various equipment. Which is only marginally interesting, because I can't do anything about it. But knowing when the tank is going to be empty is a whole lot more interesting! Always annoying to start a weekend of work by having to load up the fuel tank and go to town.

I have this one, which was $147 when I bought it in May:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXVM04A
    I'm rapidly becoming one of those crusty old farts that distrusts anything digital because the batteries always go dead when you need them most. I went this way... not sure if it will outlast a digital or not, but I'm hoping.... https://www.amazon.ca/Fill-Rite-807C...78492079&psc=1
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

19. Likes SweetMK, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel transfer tank skid

I'm rapidly becoming one of those crusty old farts that distrusts anything digital because the batteries always go dead when you need them most. I went this way... not sure if it will outlast a digital or not, but I'm hoping.... https://www.amazon.ca/Fill-Rite-807C...78492079&psc=1
    I used a mechanical meter on my homemade skid tank and never had a problem.

I had that Fill rite on the 500 gallon tank in the background

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 10-26-2021 at 11:13 PM.
    :

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    ELITEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just use a dipstick.
    You're setting the bar awful low....

Name:  IMG_7186.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  81.9 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist