Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designed A Storm Drain

Post Thanks / Like

Designed A Storm Drain

A friend ran over a cast iron storm drain with a boom truck and broke it. Apparently it was an odd sized cover, that is not obtainable around here. I found that some guys special order them when they are doing a large job.

So anyway I designed and made one out of road plate. Do you think it will take the boom truck?

Name:  Storm Drain6.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  676.7 KB

Name:  Storm Drain5.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  683.9 KB

Name:  Storm Drain4.jpg
Size:  654.2 KB

Name:  Storm Drain3.jpg
Size:  364.6 KB

Name:  Storm Drain2.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  756.1 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Designed A Storm Drain

Nice job. I made one similar but not as thick. You have a couple a few hours into that it looks like.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

3. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Nice job. I made one similar but not as thick. You have a couple a few hours into that it looks like.
    Thank you, yea a few hours. I wanted to get at least a square foot of drainage without weakening the structure. It is not easy to do.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

5. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks REALLY good. Nice job.

I do not know what pattern would have been stronger but you don't have a lot left if you go straight across in line with any of the slots. Seams it could fold in any given direction in the middle.

Don't know size weight of truck but seems only a test after install will prove if it is strong enough. If the edge fits nicely all the way around it must have quite a bit of strength still.

No way to drive around the cover instead of over it ?

7. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is mine. I had specifics about not letting pea stone pass. Note: This resides over an existing storm drain which is really a cover. Plus this is on a residential side of driveway and the grate sees no traffic.
    Name:  20210703_123549.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  101.2 KB
    Last edited by TJS; 10-25-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

9. Likes whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Job!!!
    Lincoln 330 MPX
    Modified Tombstone
    Lincoln LN-25X-TVT
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Ton of Torches OFC-A / OFG-A
    SMAW FCAW GMAW
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    #Freebird Welds

11. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I particularly like the hole layout. Very aesthetically pleasing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

13. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    No way to drive around the cover instead of over it ?

Never a good solution IMO. Always assume the worst

:

15. Likes whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think that plate should be stronger than the original cast, and if there is any sort of failure, it should bend first rather than just snapping. If that happens you could always straighten it and add some sort of X frame underneath it.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

17. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post

Name:  Storm Drain6.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  676.7 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    William that horizontal cylinder is the photo is just sideshift, right?

Not a fork positioner?

:

19. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is correct side shift. No fork positioning.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

It is like spokes on a wheel, they cannot really stretch much. The funniest proof of this effect is a railing I made that had spokes, I could not adjust it by hand. All the other aluminum rails I made no problem, I could lay them over if I wanted to, not the rail with the spokes, it is like a rock. When you try to bend one spoke they would all have to bend so it maintains the structure almost like a solid plate.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

22. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job, looks plenty strong enough and even it it isn't, it's likely to bend before failing.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

24. Likes whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great looking cover,,

If I were building it,, I would add a minimum of 6 ribs under the cover made out of at least 1/2X4" steel bar, welded to the back.
    If nothing else, the ribs would insure that the "UP" side was always installed up, just for aesthetics,,

Does the cover need a special size "HOLE" to accommodate the special lifting tool that is used for normal removal?

(I do not claim to be an authority, BUT, I thought I have seen a special removal tool ??)

26. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I would think that plate should be stronger than the original cast, and if there is any sort of failure, it should bend first rather than just snapping. If that happens you could always straighten it and add some sort of X frame underneath it.
    It is strong, and still heavy, 159 pounds, down from 255. Just think about trying to bend four of those fingers touching the center disk at their thinnest point. It takes many thousands of pounds to do that to a piece of 1”x 4” steel that is not attached to anything. Those pieces in order to bend must pull the edges of the disk in and they will not be doing that anytime soon.

Name:  0040975E-3DEF-406B-AE15-5EE4218F1BF2.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  130.7 KB

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me think of when they started bringing loaded tandems and semi's into the old wooden grain elevators with planked floors. I think you're good...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

29. Likes William McCormick, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Here is mine. I had specifics about not letting pea stone pass. Note: This resides over an existing storm drain which is really a cover. Plus this is on a residential side of driveway and the grate sees no traffic.
    Name:  20210703_123549.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  101.2 KB
    Nice plasma cutter. It makes very nice cuts. Very nice job.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

31. Likes TJS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Great looking cover,,

If I were building it,, I would add a minimum of 6 ribs under the cover made out of at least 1/2X4" steel bar, welded to the back.
    If nothing else, the ribs would insure that the "UP" side was always installed up, just for aesthetics,,

Does the cover need a special size "HOLE" to accommodate the special lifting tool that is used for normal removal?

(I do not claim to be an authority, BUT, I thought I have seen a special removal tool ??)
    Usually there is a tool that goes into a special sort of a half circle on the edge of sewer covers. But the storm drains are easy enough to grab. The one that cracked did not have one.

This thing is crazy strong. The only guy that could bend it is my old boss Ray, he used to make flowers out of 1x1 wrought iron bar without a jig and with a jig. He would say things like "its bending like a butter cup," haha. I could bend 3/4 but not 1 bar. He once grabbed a solid stainless steel round bar off a rack 3 1/2" round and twelve feet long, took three big steps with it and threw it into a van, the van already packed with metal skidded forward. Everyone that saw it just looked in awe. I told him "Ray I hope you know any racial comments I made in the past were totally in jest," haha. I would ride in the back of the truck or van with the work, and sometimes he would lock up the brakes and I would get crushed by the iron, and he would just laugh. He grew up on Paris Island when things were not so good if you were black, and he used to get beat up by the Marines, until he got really tough. His dad was a Marine on base. One day I was really getting beat up back there in the van and he was just laughing, and I took a piece of rope and tied up my own hands and started showing people driving by my tied hands, ray looked back and saw what I was doing and accelerated real quick to get the iron off me. He said Bill thats not right, haha. We used to laugh most of the day.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

It is strong, and still heavy, 159 pounds, down from 255.

William McCormick
    Think of the front tire of an 80,000 pound truck hitting the lip of the 159 pound cover/hole,, and spinning the cover off of the hole like you could spin a beer bottle cap..
    I think the gussets hanging down on the typical commercial cover are there to deter the cover flipping out of the hole.
    Also, the way the gussets taper to the edge, get a cover near a hole, give it a push, the taper of the gusset can cause the cover to fall into place on its own.
    (It is like dropping a funnel into a glass, the funnel will self center,, drop a disk on a glass, it will in all probability fall off the glass, surely, it will not center)

I think there are reasons for the gussets WAY beyond strength,,

If you do not want to add gussets, you could add some pins hanging straight down,, or something to stop the cover from exiting the hole too easily.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, they worked on roads constantly,,
    A truck could hit an 8 foot X 12 foot highway plate that was an inch thick,, and shift the plates location easily. that plate weighed a little more than 159,,,
    I saw it happen many times,,

I just remembered,, that happened in the Die Hard movie With Samuel l Jackson,, but those trucks weighed more than 80,000 pounds,,
    the trucks were filled with gold,, which I imagine weighs more than dirt??

Bruce Willis could not lift that plate back into location,, WHAT A WOOZ!!

34. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

william, the thing looks so nice, if u hung it on the wall, id think it was one of those egyptian sun calendars.

i torched a few custom sized, when scrap was high, the local bums, were stealing stealing them right and left. what i did was, weld a couple foot of chain to underside, and redhead chains end down in side of storm pipe, spotweld nut on. anything to help keep them drug addicts from taking them
    Last edited by 123weld; 10-26-2021 at 11:23 PM.

36. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Think of the front tire of an 80,000 pound truck hitting the lip of the 159 pound cover/hole,, and spinning the cover off of the hole like you could spin a beer bottle cap..
    I think the gussets hanging down on the typical commercial cover are there to deter the cover flipping out of the hole.
    Also, the way the gussets taper to the edge, get a cover near a hole, give it a push, the taper of the gusset can cause the cover to fall into place on its own.
    (It is like dropping a funnel into a glass, the funnel will self center,, drop a disk on a glass, it will in all probability fall off the glass, surely, it will not center)

I think there are reasons for the gussets WAY beyond strength,,

If you do not want to add gussets, you could add some pins hanging straight down,, or something to stop the cover from exiting the hole too easily.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, they worked on roads constantly,,
    A truck could hit an 8 foot X 12 foot highway plate that was an inch thick,, and shift the plates location easily. that plate weighed a little more than 159,,,
    I saw it happen many times,,

I just remembered,, that happened in the Die Hard movie With Samuel l Jackson,, but those trucks weighed more than 80,000 pounds,,
    the trucks were filled with gold,, which I imagine weighs more than dirt??

Bruce Willis could not lift that plate back into location,, WHAT A WOOZ!!

This is in a parking lot, in an inside corner of a building. The ring it sits in is sunken into the ground for drainage purposes. It was a boom lift that got the old one. Very hard tires and very heavy with the counter weight. Heavier than a fork lift because of the extension capability to get to the roof a good distance away from the lift.

I do not underestimate cast iron though, that stuff is tough till it breaks. When I was a kid my father spun the wheel of an old Buick on ice and broke the cast iron axil of the car. Wow what a sound. The energy transmitted through the whole car, an actual electrical effect that I felt was pretty wild for sure. I have changed a few axils in my day and seen some of the newer ones Twist. I put one in and it looked like cast steel, when I took it back out you could see it had twisted. The older cast iron axil could never do that.

This will be fine now, even if they take the front tire of the boom lift over it. They put this plate I used over four foot wide open trenches, and fully loaded 18 wheelers go over it repeatedly. The holes I made believe it or not not do not take much from the strength because it is supported so close and all around by the ring.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

It is in place and it fits.

Name:  stormdrainin.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  389.0 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick

39. Likes TJS, psacustomcreations, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Looks awesome!
    :

41. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Looks awesome!
    Thank you.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great👍

Dave

Sincerely,

William McCormick

44. Likes William McCormick liked this post