Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    I think it's a factory model. Anything particular to check for when I go to look at it? Seems as though it's missing part of the label on the back.
    Name:  IMG_20211025_173818.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  161.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20211025_173838.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  108.9 KB
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Is the serial number in another location on the machine? Trying to figure out how old it is
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Was able to get the seller to send the rest of the info tag. Is it possible to decipher the year of manufacture from this?

    Name:  IMG_20211025_223555.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  137.5 KB
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    1,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    The first two digits show that it was made in the U.S. The second two digits are the year, so it's a 2001 model. I have one I was given that has a bad power supply board. There's a chance it's covered under a Lincoln Service Letter, but I haven't gotten around to calling them to find out if they'll cover it.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com


    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    I'd take along some leads and a couple of rods and make sure it works. Unless it's really cheap...!
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    The first two digits show that it was made in the U.S. The second two digits are the year, so it's a 2001 model. I have one I was given that has a bad power supply board. There's a chance it's covered under a Lincoln Service Letter, but I haven't gotten around to calling them to find out if they'll cover it.
    Thanks. I guess my biggest question is whether Lincoln still makes parts for these. That was the biggest problem with the Miller I had. No parts availability.

    Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I'd take along some leads and a couple of rods and make sure it works. Unless it's really cheap...!
    I'd definitely like to test it, but the seller said he doesn't have anything to plug it into. I thought about bringing my Hobart champion to run it off for test purposes.

    Are manuals available for download from Lincoln?
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Thanks!
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I'd take along some leads and a couple of rods and make sure it works. Unless it's really cheap...!
    Asking price is $1500.

    I'd be interested to know if the A/P upgrade is still available for one this old.
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcTan View Post
    Asking price is $1500.

    I'd be interested to know if the A/P upgrade is still available for one this old.
    It REALLY wants to work properly, for $1500! You could buy a Miller XMT 350 CC/CV for less, I'd have thought, and the XMT is awesome on stick, TIG and MIG. They are very comparable, the V350 pro being better for pipelining but otherwise similar on features.

    What do you mean, A/P?
    Last edited by Munkul; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:10 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    I think that price is fairly negotiable.

    I tried an XMT304 CC/CV which I really liked, until it lost it's magic smoke. Miller no longer makes parts for it, and extensive searching for used parts was fruitless. I'm hopeful that Lincoln has a longer parts support period than Miller.

    Sorry, I should have typed it out. Advanced process. Gives it pulse capability without an external box.

    If I can test this one out, and it works on stick (not going to drag my feeder there just for testing purposes), I may offer $1000. I'm just afraid of buying a 20 year old machine and then not being able to find parts if the need should arise.
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Yeah that's always the fear.

    I personally wouldn't worry about pulse mig, the tech has moved forward quite a bit in 20 years, and the old stuff is (IMHO) only good in certain special areas. STT for rooting, for example. Or aluminium - pulse is awesome on aluminium.
    Ordinary steel welding it doesn't really help much with compared to a sweet CV machine, although it does cut down on spatter a bit.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    1,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcTan View Post
    I'm hopeful that Lincoln has a longer parts support period than Miller.
    Generally speaking, Lincoln is worse about parts support. Anything past 10 years and Lincoln is very iffy about having parts. Miller is better, as a whole, but that's more on the older machines....I've gotten parts from Miller for a machine that was 20+ years old many times. Regardless of brand with the modern inverter machines component level repair isn't really supported by the manufacturer, and they can only keep so many boards around in inventory so at some point that support is gone.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com


    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,699
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcTan View Post



    If I can test this one out, and it works on stick (not going to drag my feeder there just for testing purposes), I may offer $1000. I'm just afraid of buying a 20 year old machine and then not being able to find parts if the need should arise.
    sounds like u know not to buy something u cant try out. i wouldnt look at it, as if parts avail so much, as there usually high $, and id be more than skeptical to throw any large $ at a 20 yr old inverter. my view would mostly be, do i think i can recover $ needed in return for the thousand , before it breaks. to try to answer ur question, maybe see if its got diagnostic codes stored in it. the kind of vehicles i drive, i can jump a paper clip to two terminals in my aclu connecter, and counting service engine light blinks and get an idea of a lil history in 5 min, if noone purposely erased something
    other than that i donrt know much, thats why i buy inverters new/under warranty. also i like the intervec, over my xmt. what happened to the 304, did it just pud out/lose its gusto, but still sorta worked ?
    Last edited by 123weld; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:19 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Generally speaking, Lincoln is worse about parts support. Anything past 10 years and Lincoln is very iffy about having parts. Miller is better, as a whole, but that's more on the older machines....I've gotten parts from Miller for a machine that was 20+ years old many times. Regardless of brand with the modern inverter machines component level repair isn't really supported by the manufacturer, and they can only keep so many boards around in inventory so at some point that support is gone.
    That's what I discovered when I called Lincoln. They also told me the advanced process module is no longer available either, which isn't surprising.

    Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    sounds like u know not to buy something u cant try out. i wouldnt look at it, as if parts avail so much, as there usually high $, and id be more than skeptical to throw any large $ at a 20 yr old inverter. my view would mostly be, do i think i can recover $ needed in return for the thousand , before it breaks. to try to answer ur question, maybe see if its got diagnostic codes stored in it. the kind of vehicles i drive, i can jump a paper clip to two terminals in my aclu connecter, and counting service engine light blinks and get an idea of a lil history in 5 min, if noone purposely erased something
    other than that i donrt know much, thats why i buy inverters new/under warranty. also i like the intervec, over my xmt. what happened to the 304, did it just pud out/lose its gusto, but still sorta worked ?
    That's a good idea, I never thought about stored codes. I'll have to look into it. If I was welding for income I'd just buy a new one. But it's only for my own use fixing my own stuff so a lot harder to justify spending a lot.

    The Miller had a control board go bad or something, and shorted out a transformer coil. Works good as a smoke machine now. https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...ansformer-coil
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    That XMT is probably repairable still... there's a lot of info on them on the Miller forums.

    I've never seen the same sort of info about Lincoln inverters available on the net.

    In this country Miller and Lincoln support and parts are as bad as each other. Had both TPX TIG sets at work fail now. the 220TPX failed catestrophically within 3 years and every part replaced. Took 6 months to get it back. The 300 Aspect has now got an AC fault after 5 years, although works OK on DC.

    I dunno, I'm just down on Lincoln. Never used one of their machines yet where I thought "I'd spend my own money on this"
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    It would be repairable if there were parts available. I called numerous repair shops and every time I gave them the part number, or machine info they basically all said good luck.

    I had never used an inverter before I bought the XMT, really liked it. From what I've read, the Invertec is very similar with a little more power and options. I'm not brand loyal, just looking for reliability.

    Does anyone know if it's ok to run an inverter off a generator?
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    So when I went to look at the Invertec it was giving some error messages. 33, 32, 43, 37. I wasn't going to buy it but he offered it to me for a small price so I bought it hoping I could fix it.

    Has anyone dealt with these codes or know of a test procedure to determine what parts need to be replaced?
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcTan View Post
    So when I went to look at the Invertec it was giving some error messages. 33, 32, 43, 37. I wasn't going to buy it but he offered it to me for a small price so I bought it hoping I could fix it.

    Has anyone dealt with these codes or know of a test procedure to determine what parts need to be replaced?
    The manual tells you what these codes mean... points towards being configured for the wrong voltage. Hope it's that, anyway.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    That's what I was hoping too, but I've double checked my connections. I'm afraid it's going to need a new power supply board but wanted to do some testing first instead of just throwing parts at it
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    I had a similar issue with a different brand that was giving input error codes and it turned out to be that a longer primary cord was installed wrong. Probably not it in your case but goofy things like that happen. Good Luck.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ceres, California
    Posts
    3,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Make sure the welder is set for the line voltage you wish to use. open the clear plastic rear panel. inside is a large switch and a small jumper wire. If you are going to operate on 230 volts. set large switch to the lower voltage range then move the small jumper to the 230 volt plug. I can't see the small wire in the picture so it is connected to the 460 or 575 plug. Make sure line switch is off. before opening the clear panel. If welder still has factory cord. you must use the black and white wires for single phase operation. tape up the red. welder will not power up right if connected to red and black. red is only used with 3 phase power.
    error codes point to low line voltage for how welder is set up. welder is manual relink. Factory models have a feeder plug on the front. contractors models only have the remote plug. no feeder plug.
    Most parts should still be available. but pricey. welder can be connected to the powerwave manager software but you need a Lincoln RS232 adapter and a serial cable. Used for testing and calibration and software updates.
    This welder is now out of production it has been replaced by the flextec 350X.
    Back to your problem. If line is set up right and you are still getting these error codes the main power switch pcb might be bad. But they don't go bad very often.
    I replace more digital power supplies than anything. after that it is control pcbs.
    Please check the part number on you digital power supply. if a G3632 you will need to replace it. if a G5632-2 then you have the newest one. the old G3632 pcbs are known to kill the control pcb. when I run in to them I always replace them.

  23. Likes 123weld liked this post
  24. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    7,965
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Is it your intent to TIG, MIG, or stick?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  25. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    Make sure the welder is set for the line voltage you wish to use. open the clear plastic rear panel. inside is a large switch and a small jumper wire. If you are going to operate on 230 volts. set large switch to the lower voltage range then move the small jumper to the 230 volt plug. I can't see the small wire in the picture so it is connected to the 460 or 575 plug. Make sure line switch is off. before opening the clear panel. If welder still has factory cord. you must use the black and white wires for single phase operation. tape up the red. welder will not power up right if connected to red and black. red is only used with 3 phase power.
    error codes point to low line voltage for how welder is set up. welder is manual relink. Factory models have a feeder plug on the front. contractors models only have the remote plug. no feeder plug.
    Most parts should still be available. but pricey. welder can be connected to the powerwave manager software but you need a Lincoln RS232 adapter and a serial cable. Used for testing and calibration and software updates.
    This welder is now out of production it has been replaced by the flextec 350X.
    Back to your problem. If line is set up right and you are still getting these error codes the main power switch pcb might be bad. But they don't go bad very often.
    I replace more digital power supplies than anything. after that it is control pcbs.
    Please check the part number on you digital power supply. if a G3632 you will need to replace it. if a G5632-2 then you have the newest one. the old G3632 pcbs are known to kill the control pcb. when I run in to them I always replace them.
    Thanks for the info and advice. I'm pretty sure I have it set up correctly.
    Name:  PXL_20211112_114300698.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  107.5 KB

    I will take a good look at the PCBs inside and see what I find. I'll have to look for a parts diagram so I know which boards you're referring to. I'm not real familiar with these things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Is it your intent to TIG, MIG, or stick?
    Yes. Current setup is stick and wire. Hoping to get a air cooled Tig setup if I can get this thing working.
    Glen

    Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

  26. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    7,965
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Looking at a used Invertec V350 pro. What to look for?

    Are they not DC only?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,638,242,374.72332 seconds with 15 queries