Thread: Burgler bar suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Burgler bar suggestions

I have a friend that's moving into a new shop. There are 5 or 6 windows around 42" x 45". I can't find burgler bars oniine to fit that dimension.

It sounds like a custom job and I'm quite willing to do it if there's nothing already made. I'd use 1/2" x 1/2" square rod.

Is there anything already made about that size that could be bought?

And who do we talk to in terms of code requirements?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Burgler bar suggestions

something wrong here. law enforcement dont care about u , but code enforcement does care about u.

Post Thanks / Like

Shotgun works too.
    No bars just a loud bang with paper work and having doughnuts and coffee with your local men and women in blue.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    something wrong here. law enforcement dont care about u , but code enforcement does care about u.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    Aren't the Democrats "defunding" the police to use that money to "rebuild back better" by hiring more code enforcers, red tape entanglers and IRS agents to monitor every $600 transaction at every bank?

Meanwhile, in places like California, the crooks run wild, filling shopping carts with stolen stuff, and the cops do nothing -- and this is official policy.

If you like that kind of thing, keep electing Democrats.

5. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Aren't the Democrats "defunding" the police to use that money to "rebuild back better" by hiring more code enforcers, red tape entanglers and IRS agents to monitor every $600 transaction at every bank?

Meanwhile, in places like California, the crooks run wild, filling shopping carts with stolen stuff, and the cops do nothing -- and this is official policy.

If you like that kind of thing, keep electing Democrats.

And when you get ripped off, they'll send a social worker over to help you commensurate!
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

7. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

..... aaaand back to the original question. I'm pretty sure that codes (if there are any) are going to be local ordinances so any answers from outside of your area will probably not apply. If you are in a city, you'll have to check with the city first, and then Ohio state statutes. As for metal, it would be a lot easier to go with round rod... pretty much any bulk supplier would have that.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

9. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That does not happen here.
    The code enforcers runs uptown the streets look for a taxpayer make mistake. I have the concrete bill I could not park my truck on grass now it is on concrete

California still has the Edison chair.

If think some have relatives that work social worker, law enforcement, IRS and school teacher. Try that at a Christian party being self employed. But it is best jobs left in town.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    And when you get ripped off, they'll send a social worker over to help you commensurate!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know the regulations on something like that here but I built a similar style of window grill here to keep small children from falling out a second floor window that was close to the floor. I hinged it to be able to swing open so that the window could still be available for fire escape secured so that small children couldn't open it but an adult could. Could be local regs might involve the ability to not prevent egress in case of fire but still prevent ingress unless opened from within.
    ---Meltedmetal

12. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bars on Windows are over regulate in California.
    But today in New home they just kick in the outside wall.
    Old home have better walls hard to kick in.
    They also just hoop the fence to the backyard and break down the door or wall.
    After getting to your home good 44 or a 12 gauge will will stop Burglers then just cleanup after the stop.
    The police are happy no bad guy to shoot them and a box of doughnuts and coffee and more paper work.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I don't even know the regulations on something like that here but I built a similar style of window grill here to keep small children from falling out a second floor window that was close to the floor. I hinged it to be able to swing open so that the window could still be available for fire escape secured so that small children couldn't open it but an adult could. Could be local regs might involve the ability to not prevent egress in case of fire but still prevent ingress unless opened from within.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so easy to shoot the bad guy in California and not have to stress murder charges being brought against you.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple, no bars needed,, do not store anything in the building smaller than the window

If you want to store something smaller, shrink the size of the window.

If you want to store something real small, like hand tools, eliminate the windows completely,,

With LED lighting, and the low cost of ventilation, there is ZERO reason to have windows in a commercial building,,

Windows with bars JUST SCREAMS " We have valuables,, I bet you can not get them!! " to criminals.

I had a business for 12 years, zero windows,, it was just the way the building was built,, I loved it,, no theft issues ,, criminals thought old cars were stored.
    I was not about to advertise something different,,

16. Likes shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When my daughter bought her current house 6 years ago it was a repo. Not really out of the way but enough off the road that someone could break in and not been seen.
    There were 6 different size windows in the unfinished basement that I made screens for and I put them on the inside, hinged them on one end and had a spring latch on the other that you couldn't reach from the outside if you broke the glass. You couldn't see them from outside until you were right up against the window. Hopefully that would prevent the thieves thinking there was something valuable in there The two largest ones were 30 x 48 or so.
    I made the frame out of 1 x 1 square tubing, couple of cross pieces from the same material on the bigger windows and filled in the holes with 1/8 x 1/2 flatbar bent into scrolls welded at every intersection. There's no way you'd get in unless you had a grinder or torch.
    Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself, wish I had pics.............Mike

18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    I have a friend that's moving into a new shop. There are 5 or 6 windows around 42" x 45". I can't find burgler bars oniine to fit that dimension.

It sounds like a custom job and I'm quite willing to do it if there's nothing already made. I'd use 1/2" x 1/2" square rod.

Is there anything already made about that size that could be bought?

And who do we talk to in terms of code requirements?
    Hi JD, I don't think there is a code for commercial buildings like you would see on a residential application where at least one Window guard has to be able to open if there are two or more guarded windows in a bedroom.

We have had the FD inspections at our work and they have never once looked at our security bars, just that we have a clear path to exit doors. ( and Fire extinguishers visible)

but could be different in your area.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Simple, no bars needed,, do not store anything in the building smaller than the window

If you want to store something smaller, shrink the size of the window.

If you want to store something real small, like hand tools, eliminate the windows completely,,

With LED lighting, and the low cost of ventilation, there is ZERO reason to have windows in a commercial building,,

Windows with bars JUST SCREAMS " We have valuables,, I bet you can not get them!! " to criminals.

I had a business for 12 years, zero windows,, it was just the way the building was built,, I loved it,, no theft issues ,, criminals thought old cars were stored.
    I was not about to advertise something different,,
    My shop of many years (now sold since we moved) did not have any windows. I didn't enjoy having sun in my eyes randomly while working under vehicles.

I did add one window in the addition - couldn't see much from there.

I was in a rural low crime area though.

For a local bar I made window grates, instead they pushed the air-conditioner in...
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/5...-window-grates
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

It happens a lot just spend a few days with the blue guys taking.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Not so easy to shoot the bad guy in California and not have to stress murder charges being brought against you.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

You can find accordion style bars that can be open when in business. A door company can help too. Your price may rival a premade price.

Sit down now and plan the design and install before committing. They are not as "no problem" as they appear.

Put them on the inside so good guys can escape if needed.
    And can be easily removed for window cleaning.
    And criminals have to break glass first, then hook bars to the bumper. Opposed to hooking to the bars first, and pulling the entire window frame out of the building because you proudly secured the bars so well

Good luck

I have built a few, in select setting...

23. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They using Battery power Sawzall {what bars}. Knowing Burglers they take bars to scrape yard for cast too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    You can find accordion style bars that can be open when in business. A door company can help too. Your price may rival a premade price.

Sit down now and plan the design and install before committing. They are not as "no problem" as they appear.

Put them on the inside so good guys can escape if needed.
    And can be easily removed for window cleaning.
    And criminals have to break glass first, then hook bars to the bumper. Opposed to hooking to the bars first, and pulling the entire window frame out of the building because you proudly secured the bars so well

Good luck

I have built a few, in select setting...

Post Thanks / Like

The comment that said bars just indicate you have something valuable in there, plus the idea of a sawzall, maybe it's better to just board them up with 3/4" plywood. If he still wants to go bars, we ought to attach a strong cattle fence device to them. Won't be lethal but will certainly get their attention.

So how would round rod be easier than square? Having a little experience with both, my initial thought would be square rod is easier.

Post Thanks / Like

They will use Sawzall to cut both.
    Try hog electric fence it works just do not touch the fence it will be a bad week.

Dave

The comment that said bars just indicate you have something valuable in there, plus the idea of a sawzall, maybe it's better to just board them up with 3/4" plywood. If he still wants to go bars, we ought to attach a strong cattle fence device to them. Won't be lethal but will certainly get their attention.

So how would round rod be easier than square? Having a little experience with both, my initial thought would be square rod is easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how the design was either could win as best to use.

I think square rod and flat bar would be pretty easy to design and build. What I am picturing square much better. Doesn't roll so easier to lay out and square easier to weld it down.

Another design where you need to make holes and pass bar through flat then of course round is better then.

Post Thanks / Like

I have expanded metal over my window with one way bolts holding it. Just a small enough hole cut out for me to safely get my big arm in to open the window. I left the edges just razor sharp enough to do severe bodily damage if a not so bright criminal decides they want in bad enough. No takers yet.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Lincoln 175
    Monkey Wards 230v. Stick

Post Thanks / Like

I once made 3 door covers for a church. It was a converted grocery store. The covers were 4x8 sheets framed with angle and hinged. I made a large link of 1/2 inch square bar to lock open to the wall or lock closed.

Got a call one morning. Somebody cut the link. Looked like bolt cutters were used. No entry though.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of sayings for this.

If you have a high fence, your hiding stuff
    If you have security bars, you have stuff worth stealing
    If you have cameras all over the place, it will just take a few more minutes of planning.

The best security system I have ever seen, was at the steel yard I worked at. At end of the day, the owner flicked a switch which activated the alarm. The alarm was a motion sensor system that triggered the loudest damm fire house siren you ever heard, but way more "I'm stealing ****" kind of sound.

Ironically friends of the owner still broke in and stole stuff because they figured out where the sensors were.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

31. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Today use 7 foot fence and a second fence. The so the hard time jumping over the then have to do again.
    They have no fun having jump two times and may be noted by someone with a big band tube.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    There are a lot of sayings for this.

If you have a high fence, your hiding stuff
    If you have security bars, you have stuff worth stealing
    If you have cameras all over the place, it will just take a few more minutes of planning.

The best security system I have ever seen, was at the steel yard I worked at. At end of the day, the owner flicked a switch which activated the alarm. The alarm was a motion sensor system that triggered the loudest damm fire house siren you ever heard, but way more "I'm stealing ****" kind of sound.

Ironically friends of the owner still broke in and stole stuff because they figured out where the sensors were.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk