+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power source welder on a mobile trailer????? Too much vibration???

Post Thanks / Like

Power source welder on a mobile trailer????? Too much vibration???

Howdy folks,

Are power source welders durable enough to last on the road? For example, lets say a miller synchrowave rubber mounted on a short wheelbase generator trailer. Good idea or will it screw it up after pulling down the road? I'm thinking with the right rubber suspension it would not cause too much of a jolt and screw it up.

Or how about humidity? Are these machines resistant to such conditions?
    Would like to hear peoples opinion or experience.
    Last edited by brad.bds.llc; 10-27-2021 at 12:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power source welder on a mobile trailer????? Too much vibration???

What is it you are trying to do?

Post Thanks / Like

yeah.. why are you wanting to trailer a Synch around?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Professional-grade machines are made to operate all over the world, including in the tropics - so outside humidity isn't going to bother them. Rain will, though. I've carried an XMT-304 on and off in my service truck, beat it around on a rough-riding solid-wheel cart for a couple years in a factory environment, and no harm done. A good rubber bushing suspension, as you suggested, would go a long ways towards peace of mind. If I had a need to trailer-mount a typically shop-housed welder, I'd pay most attention to potential issues from vibration and precipitation.

An engine-drive is obviously made for all-weather environments and is likely a better choice. Most people would shudder to see the jobsite my highest-hour TB325 is living on right now. And yet it still starts up and performs on demand.

Post Thanks / Like

Put it in the original box. Packaged, it handles UPS and FEDEX.

Interesting idea. Are you going to pull it behind a vehicle? Is it going to be used with the generator power?

I would be concerned about road spray, also.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 10-28-2021 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad.bds.llc View Post
    Howdy folks,

Are power source welders durable enough to last on the road? For example, lets say a miller synchrowave rubber mounted on a short wheelbase generator trailer. Good idea or will it screw it up after pulling down the road? I'm thinking with the right rubber suspension it would not cause too much of a jolt and screw it up.

Generally speaking, vibration isn't a good thing for electrical devices that aren't built with that in mind, so I wouldn't want to haul something like a Syncrowave around on a regular basis. I wouldn't consider a Syncrowave resistant to humidity either....the fan vents give an open path to everything inside of the machine. I would expect they'll still work after a long time being exposed to humidity, but sooner or later you're going to have some heavily rusted stuff on the inside.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I've hauled Lincoln 350MP welders all over on flat beds and never had an issue. Everything is pretty solid and well connected in most welders (try taking one apart). I think you would be fine and "mobile" tig can be worth some money. Risk vs reward I say go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to power it with an engine drive?

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to make a portable out of a synch aint to far from a brain fart, machine that weighs a lot and takes big electric service. Even if all this was free the effort alone would be worth more than the cost of modern equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Please post a photos
    How old are rubber mounts?

Dave

Howdy folks,

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn’t seem like a feasible idea. Were you planning on housing the Sync in an enclosed trailer? How were you planning on keeping it dry ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    What is it you are trying to do?
    Welding/ construction trailer with a military 30kw generator powerplant. 4 cyl john deere (already purchased). 3 phase capability. Ac dc powersource. Mig stick tig ect.. w/ lead reels and suitcase w/ possible gas hookup through air comp. hose. and a tig dolley cart. all process , great weld output. ( not that a miller bobcat isnt great weld quality, just not as good for generator and not diesel ) The highest quality weld output. Able to use all processes on the job with a diesel power plant. Less cost than a lincoln pipeliner machine or other welder/generator. A far better Generator capability and 3phase.
    Manufacture things off grid without running electric or 3 phase installation. Outsource Manufacturing and eventually manufacture C-perlins and Zee out of galv. rolls w/ .1 inch thickness or 2.5mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, thx. The main reason for doing it this way is the cost effective diesel generator alone w/ no built in welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Housed on a trailer w/ insulated and sealed + locked box.

15. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Either a synch or other 3 phase machine. Trailer is dual 14k lb axles hauled by a f550 Or a international 4900 w/ digger derrick crane. Job trailer. Massive amounts of tool storage w/ water tank and sprayer and military 30kw generator w/ 3 phase. May be a more modern 3 phase power source but still the same concept.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, 30kw diesel gen. 3 phase

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, figured I better make sure someone has done it without issues before ruining a high dollar power source! Thx

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, on a trailer with Gen.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes good to know. Might need a more modern power source rather than a synch with the outdoor rating. Would be stored in a sealed insulated box. You remind me though, I would have to figure a good way to supply air flow when in use if it was totally sealed.
    Or, with a outdoor rated machine the sealing wouldn't be necessary. The plan is to make the box easy to remove from trailer. Thx

Post Thanks / Like

Welding power source for a diesel Gen. without built in wleder

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy folks,

Update: So it sounds like the synchrowave would not be very feesable mainly due to the moisture. Plus the size and weight wouldn't be ideal. The Ac+Dc feature is nice however.

-BUT, it sounds like an XMT would work great. That would just require to have an A/C machine on board as well or just bring when needed.

An xmt/ pipeworx machine or/ a lincoln flextec. I think they'd hold up to moderately outdoor conditions like moisture and mild vibrations... I want to have it totally suspended by rubber.
    Like super heavy duty rubber bunjee cord material suspending like a spider web inside the box so I can hit any size pothole and never worry about it

***Thx for the input folks! Has anyone else had experience subjecting these machines to moisture or vibratory conditions and did it effect them?

Post Thanks / Like

Cant be great hauling them around but they are pretty tuff at least for a while but depending on model they are heavy and greedy. I understand tossing all this on a truck I had kind of thing but a lot of investment in it being rather obsolete right from the start makes it a hard sell. The price of modern stuff has went so wayyyyy down that it might be cheaper to start over.
    I have a good compressor, could have made it with less in hindsight but,,,, 3 or 4 K for the comp,,, another 600 for an impact can now buy without a cord for less than 600 and weighs 20# instead of another 4 or 500 for the comp. Even if a guy needed air could do it for 1/2 the cost size and weight today for smaller tools or air up.
    I used to use a torch every day, now some in the shop and I carry one for absolute emergency but rides a lot of miles for nothing. Battery saw, grinder, drills, 120/240 welder, put my fave little engine drive back on a trailer or can fork it in if I really need one.
    I went thru phases as work style changed and today need 1/2 the tools I did.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was hanging out the sign for any and everything and decided I had to carry it would be a total different matter I spose but found that for most field work get along with a welder torch and grinder, dont carry wire, no plasma, no tig. , if its humanly possible do it with a stick.
    The big thing when I leaned on heavy truck was could carry some pieces of steel, big nut/bolt collection and some pipe fittings. Enough hose and lead to reach around comfortable like.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-04-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider is the moving. If you are on a job for time then some of this might not matter, could run other setups with the genset etc but the initial question was so vauge its like asking,,, what kind of truck do I need?
    In both cases, if you can afford it or not afford it looking to the practical is where its at in the end. Do you really need tig on a drilling truck?

Post Thanks / Like

Power source welder on a mobile trailer????? Too much vibration???

To answer your original question, I think there is a good reason why you never see mobile welding services trailering around a Syncrowave. It’s just not practical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 11-04-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    :

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist