+ Reply to Thread

Thread: XR push pull pistol upgradable?

Post Thanks / Like

XR push pull pistol upgradable?

A few years back, I purchased a used millermatic 350p that came with a push-pull pistol gun.

I have been trying to figure out how to upgrade the front end of the gun so that I can use centerfire or some other style of newer contact tip. Unfortunately the pistol was drug around a lot and the only thing that is readable are the letters 30A.

It appears to be 25 ft long and will connect directly to the 350p without any issues. I'm not even sure what the current contact tip system is. The tip is long and had no threads. There appears to be a collet of some type that is threaded on to the pistol. And the tip that's in the collet is wedged in really tight and will not come out. The gun works just fine, I just don't think I'll be able to change the tip if I ever short it out.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
    1) what style are the contact tips and how to change them out.
    2) if it's possible to upgrade the front end of the pistol to use newer contact tips.

I took the pistol to the LWS and all they could do is show me the diagram for thier current XR pistol setup. They couldn't seem to find any older information. They suggested talking to a Miller engineer.

I've tried posting in the Miller forums, but I never got an activation email so I'm currently locked out over there. I will post some pictures as soon as I can.Name:  20211028_211230.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  60.0 KBName:  20211028_211318.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  54.1 KBName:  20211028_211243.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  57.7 KBName:  20211028_211442.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  26.5 KB
    Last edited by Bunrockter; 10-29-2021 at 12:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: XR push pull pistol upgradable?

Looks like it may be an XRM-30A
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...eK9Zn33do1fgOU

This helps with contact tips and replacement parts, but I still don't know if I it is possible to change the contact tip type or use a new style head.
    Last edited by Bunrockter; 10-29-2021 at 03:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can buy a new head tube set up for centerfire accessories https://store.cyberweld.com/mituhe180de41.html

Here are all your options for that gun https://store.cyberweld.com/xrxrpa.html
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Those collet style tips are readily available and work well. Loosen the black jam nut and unscrew the green sleeve. That will allow you to remove the extension tube. The liner will come out then. If you loosen the collet nut you should be able to tap the contact tip out with a small diameter long punch.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist