+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tig parts

Post Thanks / Like

Tig parts

I need a 1/16 collet clamp for my torch. Are these universal. My torch is chinese. I have seen parts advertised for 9/20/25 torches. Not sure what i have.Name:  20211030_085858.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  35.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tig parts

For that particular style torch the collets are universal. if you want to prevent that type of twisting look up "wedge collets". They are more expensive than regular collets.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the threaded tips standard also? If so, what is this one shown in the pic.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to make sure my #5 nozzle screws onto the 1/16 collet body. What number do I need to look for?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me like a standard 13N series for the 9/20/25 series torches. Just look up "13N series tig" on google and check out the images. Or just take them to your local welding store.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Those are 2 series consumables or also 13N as already mentioned.

7. Likes LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    I need a 1/16 collet clamp for my torch. Are these universal. My torch is chinese. I have seen parts advertised for 9/20/25 torches. Not sure what i have.Name:  20211030_085858.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  35.9 KB
    What you have there is a cheap chinese soft copper collet. Either buy the brass wedge collets, or if you hate wedge collets buy "High Performance Tellurium Alloy-Made in USA" collets from Miller Weldcraft, or TecTorch.

Both made in USA collets are special order but last long time. Onle reason I don't prefer wedge collets is they hang up my tungstens when I am switching them out often. And over time the tips bulge. The Tellurium alloy ones won't bulge, twist, and over time will just wear against the collet body and it's nose getting shorter.

TecTorch actually developed some wedge collets that are nickle plated and sent me some for review. No matter they still hang up my tungsten.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

9. Likes metalman21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The other thing that does that(twists) to collets is taking the torch apart when hot after duffing the tungsten.

11. Likes metalman21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    What you have there is a cheap chinese soft copper collet. Either buy the brass wedge collets, or if you hate wedge collets buy "High Performance Tellurium Alloy-Made in USA" collets from Miller Weldcraft, or TecTorch.

Both made in USA collets are special order but last long time. Onle reason I don't prefer wedge collets is they hang up my tungstens when I am switching them out often. And over time the tips bulge. The Tellurium alloy ones won't bulge, twist, and over time will just wear against the collet body and it's nose getting shorter.

TecTorch actually developed some wedge collets that are nickle plated and sent me some for review. No matter they still hang up my tungsten.
    I have the same issue with wedge collets. The hang up is annoying, I deal with it but I'm going to try some of the Tellurium alloy collets. Thanks for the tip.

The other issue is with the collets that came with a "Stuby gas lens kit" from Jody at Weldmonger for a 26 air cooled torch that gets used occasionally on out of the shop work. The collets just barely clamp the tungsten with excessive force on the back cap. I think this is because they are slightly short in length. I don't know who makes them for Weldmonger. The quality looks OK but but they just don't work like a standard collet should. I bought the exact same kit for a friend at a much earlier date and it has the same problem. Thought that might have been an isolated case at that time. I should just call them and see if it's something they know about.
    Anyone else have the same problem with that kit?
    Ernie F.

13. Likes shovelon liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist