+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making welder from car alternator

Post Thanks / Like

Making welder from car alternator

So I came across this guys diagram and instructions to build an arc welder from an alternator, I've never attempted to build a welder, so had a few questions I was hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable than I could help me out with, first off does this look like it's going to work at all? http://diy-welder.com/weldernator.shtml
    Second they have me a bit confused about the sizing of the capacitor; and how would you connect the capacitor?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making welder from car alternator

I have seen this all life. Never seen one, do not know how weld .

The capacitor is a AC type used on ac motors.

If you build one let us know if works.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JMMRT01 View Post
    So I came across this guys diagram and instructions to build an arc welder from an alternator, I've never attempted to build a welder, so had a few questions I was hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable than I could help me out with, first off does this look like it's going to work at all? http://diy-welder.com/weldernator.shtml
    Second they have me a bit confused about the sizing of the capacitor; and how would you connect the capacitor?

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen that before and it worked relatively well. Its been a while and do not recall the details but i thought they might find a better alt considering zo many newer ones are really powerful. I only saw, never used, not sure how long it might last etc.
    At one time it might have been more practical but now a lunchbox on a gen set would be my scheme for utility and allow for use of line power at both voltages. Its not a bad thing, just a longer way around.

Post Thanks / Like

This will help you a lot: https://www.otherpower.com/images/sc...or_Secrets.pdf

I think it comes down to a few things: The alternator amp rating which will correlate to the thickness of the windings and how much current they can handle, and the rating of the diodes. Exceed either one of those and your experiment will damage something in the alternator. If you are going for constant current welding (stick/TIG) you will want a fairly large inductor (aka reactor) in series with the output. Inductors essentially store current and keep the current more or less constant. A small cap is used to smooth out the ripple, which is probably not an issue with a 3 phase alternator. A larger cap or series of caps will convert the unit to more of a constant voltage power supply, since caps store voltage.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

You cam make a reactor from microwave transformer.
    It would simpler to make a mig welder it is cv

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    This will help you a lot: https://www.otherpower.com/images/sc...or_Secrets.pdf

I think it comes down to a few things: The alternator amp rating which will correlate to the thickness of the windings and how much current they can handle, and the rating of the diodes. Exceed either one of those and your experiment will damage something in the alternator. If you are going for constant current welding (stick/TIG) you will want a fairly large inductor (aka reactor) in series with the output. Inductors essentially store current and keep the current more or less constant. A small cap is used to smooth out the ripple, which is probably not an issue with a 3 phase alternator. A larger cap or series of caps will convert the unit to more of a constant voltage power supply, since caps store voltage.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist