+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: FAIL! Collets 101

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FAIL! Collets 101

Made a new gasket, and started to install it................ Then I remembered that I hadn't locked the bearing adjuster nut Ruined the new gasket.......Hell......what else is new

Name:  rhino126.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  242.6 KB

Anyway...............I couldn't get the tabs to bend on the lock washer, without moving the nut, AND the washer. Turns out that the washer, being sized for a 1 9/16 shaft, won't properly fit the 1 1/2 resized thread. Too much slop. I remembered being concerned about that some time back.

I'd flattened all the tangs on the washer when removing it during the initial teardown. So....................I got to thinking.............

Name:  rhino127.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  239.2 KB I figure, if I rebend the tabs to factory "new", they might centralize the washer on the shaft. Used the damaged nut, and another nut I bought when I originally hoped to simply restore the damaged thread. Using the press to hold the washer firmly, I then used a drift to bend the tangs to comform to the nut.

Name:  rhino128.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  223.0 KB

Name:  rhino129.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  187.7 KB

Name:  rhino130.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  206.7 KB The washer is now centralized underneath the nut. It's very solid, and doesn't move at all. Set the damn thing again tomorrow. Closed up early, because by then I'd had enough for one day. Another stupid mistake.

I guess in some ways it was a blessing. I discovered some grit I'd missed when cleaning the gear case. Knocked it loose, and can now remove it before I seal it up again.

2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  rhino131.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  173.4 KB Rebending the tangs worked out great. Washer stayed centered, and the tang bent without effort, using a large pair of slip joint pliers. Final setting wound up being about .001 end play.

Name:  rhino132.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  211.4 KB She's sealed up, and weather tight.

Name:  rhino133.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  217.8 KB The seal that started this whole mess. I hope this will last till they shovel dirt in my face. The brown goo is open gear lube. I use it on all machined parts that have to temporarily sit out in the weather.

Name:  rhino134.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  209.2 KB The final thing is to check the blade plate for flatness, straighten if necessary, and put it on the machine. This machine will obliterate Cedar Trees up to around 6-7' tall. Back in the day (I guess), they put heavy plates on these things. This a 1" thick plate. It acts as a flywheel, giving the machine incredible power. To me at least, this makes the machine worth repairing.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 12-31-2021 at 06:24 PM.

4. Likes AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm always fascinated by machinery.

I was just noodling around, punching some numbers on the calculator

The shaft is threaded at 18tpi. That's about .055 per revolution.

The washer has 16 tangs. That's about .003 per tang. That's a pretty healthy range of adjustments. Pretty cool stuff. IIRC, axle spindles are threaded at maybe 20tpi, making them even tighter on tolerances when it comes to adjusting bearing end play.

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to stop a nut from coming is tack the nut to shaft.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Name:  rhino131.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  173.4 KB Rebending the tangs worked out great. Washer stayed centered, and the tang bent without effort, using a large pair of slip joint pliers. Final setting wound up being about .001 end play.

Name:  rhino132.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  211.4 KB She's sealed up, and weather tight.

Name:  rhino133.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  217.8 KB The seal that started this whole mess. I hope this will last till they shovel dirt in my face. The brown goo is open gear lube. I use it on all machined parts that have to temporarily sit out in the weather.

Name:  rhino134.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  209.2 KB The final thing is to check the blade plate for flatness, straighten if necessary, and put it on the machine. This machine will obliterate Cedar Trees up to around 6-7' tall. Back in the day (I guess), they put heavy plates on these things. This a 1" thick plate. It acts as a flywheel, giving the machine incredible power. To me at least, this makes the machine worth repairing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post

Dave
    Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 233
Size:  13.7 KB So, you want me to go through all of this again in a few years, or maybe even a few months?????????????? This whole fiasco was because some moron messed up the thread in the first place You sir, are a dangerous fella

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post

Dave
    Only if you're a shortsighted bodger
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist