+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAIL! Collets 101

Post Thanks / Like

FAIL! Collets 101

I made that fancy collet to grab the bush hog shaft, and it didn't work

I dont gots any pics.................CAUSE I LOST THE OLD ONES.

Anyways, I'm looking at fixing the doggone collet so it HOPEFULLY will work. Can't have just one slot, it needs as many slots as there are jaws on the chuck. I THINKName:  erniefp.png
Views: 1273
Size:  13.7 KB

Can't take the runout out of the setup on the lathe..................so it's gotta be that the collet, only having one slot, is catching on two jaws, but preventing the other 2 jaws from closing properly and eliminating runout. Once the collet is closed, the remaining circumference is "locked up" so to speak. IT'S GOTTA HAVE 4 SLOTS.

Name:  banging-head-against-brick-wall.gif
Views: 1247
Size:  1.8 KBName:  banging-head-against-brick-wall.gif
Size:  1.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FAIL! Collets 101

News at 10

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  rhino5.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  176.0 KB With only one slot, the chuck jaws can't grab it right, in order to close it evenly around the shaft. At least that's what I'm thinkin'. I fooled around a lifetime trying to do the setup, and this has to be the problem. All that time down the drain today. Even put the shaft on v blocks to make certain it's straight. Gawd what a clusterfk

Cut 3 more slots this evening, and see if it works out. GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shoulda been clued in when the shaft kept trying to walk. Interesting phenomenon to see a live center spin with a wobble

Post Thanks / Like

How about just turn the diameter thinner?

Should have nuff power to grab then?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    How about just turn the diameter thinner?

Should have nuff power to grab then?
    I don't think that would help. A better way would be to cut 3 slots equal spaced but leaving about 1/4-1/3 of the length uncut. By design or lack of , the singular cut forces an out of round condition. Individual protective pads on the jaws would be another option.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a 4 jaw chuck?
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost 4:00AM, and I'm just draggin' my butt into the house

I sliced the collet into 4 sections. One for each chuck jaw.

Name:  rhino6.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  181.4 KB Placing the 4 slices on the threaded portion of the shaft was a booger. I finally taped them so I could get the whole mess in the chuck without little slices falling all over the place

Name:  rhino8.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  229.1 KB I literally spent the whole stinkin' night chasing a few thousands. GEEZ!!!! I could not get the runout down below .020 at the far end of the shaft, no matter how I fooled with it. The first bearing journal was coming in at about .0015 runout, but that damn far end was whipping around like a NOODLE. And the tailstock was only able to take a few thousands wobble out of the shaft.

I finally got fed up, and frustrated. Sat down in front of the lathe, and just looked at it................like I might be able to divine some hidden secrets from the metal

For S&G's, I turned it on while I was sitting there, and REALLY looked at how the shaft was spinning. THE END OF THE TAPER RIGHT NEXT TO THE CHUCK WAS MOVING LIKE A SNAKE................EVEN THOUGH THE BEARING JOURNAL WAS RUNNING TRUE.

I was getting almost .010 at the the very end of the thin part of the taper, about 1/4" from the chuck. HELL.................that don't look right!!!!

So, I figure WTH, might as well try to set the runout at the face of the chuck on the taper. Fought it for a doggone long time, and finally settled on about .002 runout..............which is A LOT for a 4 jaw. I just couldn't get it down to .001ish.

This brought the runout at the far end down to about .010 . Hell, it's better than .020...........................

Switched to a dead center in the tailstock, instead of the live center, and slammed 'er into the shaft center. BROUGHT THE RUNOUT DOWN TO .004 On a shaft that's been beat for almost half a century, that's pretty friggin good. I can turn it fairly concentric at that runout, or at least get close.

Name:  rhino7.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  213.3 KB I was able to turn it down to the next thread size. It was 1 9/16-18..................I was able to salvage enough of the metal to come in at the proper diameter for 1 1/2-18 . There's just a ghost of the original thread on the surface, but it's within .002 of the maximum major diameter. KEWL!!!!

Name:  rhino10.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  234.4 KB

Name:  rhino9.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  186.0 KB I'm glad I ordered the 1144 Stressproof. The original nut is hard enough to resist a file. 1144 comes in at 100Ksi tensile, and a fairly hard Brinnell/Rockwell. It should be close to what's needed.

Anyways............it's almost a waste of time goin' to bed at this time of the morning

8. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For short lengths, I'm forced to buy off of Ebay. Alro will have the proprietary grade/brand with MTR's, but they won't sell short lengths unless you show up with an armored car full of greenbacks. Niagara is the maker of the real deal, 1144 is the industry generic.

http://www.niagaralasalle.com/product-stressproof.html

2.50x12.00 piece cost $42 including shipping. Cheaper than a new shaft, if all goes well.

Get to threading later in the day.............gotta go inspect some used S8 beams (around $350 for 3 20' sections)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I made that fancy collet to grab the bush hog shaft, and it didn't work

I dont gots any pics.................CAUSE I LOST THE OLD ONES.

Anyways, I'm looking at fixing the doggone collet so it HOPEFULLY will work. Can't have just one slot, it needs as many slots as there are jaws on the chuck. I THINKName:  erniefp.png
Views: 1273
Size:  13.7 KB

Can't take the runout out of the setup on the lathe..................so it's gotta be that the collet, only having one slot, is catching on two jaws, but preventing the other 2 jaws from closing properly and eliminating runout. Once the collet is closed, the remaining circumference is "locked up" so to speak. IT'S GOTTA HAVE 4 SLOTS.

Name:  banging-head-against-brick-wall.gif
Size:  1.8 KBName:  banging-head-against-brick-wall.gif
Size:  1.8 KB
    theshop i worked in the 90's, was one of the biggest shops around, they had about a quater mill in tooling alone. for ur setup, i woulda walked over to a can, that had various strips of lead intended for the jaws , cut about .5+ wide, and about .125 thick. just lay b/t jaws/thread (whatever), and were reused many times. it worked great
    Last edited by 123weld; 11-06-2021 at 03:12 PM.

11. Likes farmersammm, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    theshop i worked in the 90's, was one of the biggest shops around, they had about a quater mill in tooling alone. for ur setup, i woulda walked over to a can, that had various strips of lead intended for the jaws , cut about .5+ wide, and about .125 thick. just lay b/t jaws/thread (whatever), and were reused many times. it worked great
    Probably be a good addition to the tool drawerName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 1147
Size:  1.1 KB. I've always used folded up beer can strips to protect smooth surfaces, but the thread had me worried. That collet was a ton of work. Luckily,, in the end, it worked out.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  rhino12.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  226.9 KB The chips from removing the threads were short, with very little curl. I have no idea what Rockwell the shaft is. I can't dent it with a file. The carbide insert screamed a bit at the end of the cuts when it hit the shoulder. Because of the keyway, I kept the speed down to 190rpm, with a slow feed. Was worried about ruining the insert on the interrupted cuts.

With the thread removed, and the surface machined barely below the minor diameter of the old thread, the metal appears softer. I can dent it with a file. But with effort.

I'm thinking that maybe the shaft isn't through hardened, and I may be getting near the case boundary. Even at this depth, I kept the depth of cut to .005 to be safe, and not hit the keyways too hard.

If I'm coming out of the hardened area, into some softer material, I'm having to make a decision between HSS, and carbide, for threading.

I like HSS, but if this stuff is too hard, I'm worried the bit might dull before the thread is finished..........then I gotta pick up the thread when I sharpen the tool. Not something I care to do if the thread is near completion. So.....................................I guess it's carbide. Carbide doesn't work well on the 1018 I'm used to working with, but I'd wager the shaft metal is a more machinable alloy, so the carbide should do fine. (I hope)

Name:  rhino13.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  224.8 KB

Name:  rhino14.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  167.3 KB I have a sort of obsolete on-edge threading tool that I picked up as part of the NOS Dorian toolpost deal coupla years back. I used it when trying to repair the thread, and it cut the material really nice. AND IT'S INDEXABLE SHOULD I CHIP A CUTTER.

The old tool takes TNMC 32NV inserts, which are still out there, but seeming to be going away.

I'm looking at the Kennametal NT3 insert on edge system (Top Notch I think they call it). It's modern, and has a good availability of inserts in different grades. One grade, in particular, is made for turning hardened steel..........grade KU25T. Maybe Santa will drop one down the soil stack K'kins always gets me a ton of feed for Xmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    That collet was a ton of work.
    i bet, and u'll probabaly never use it again, it was too much work to ever throw away - so it'll become a desk paper weight, or hang it on the wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Wound up working into the night again. Last night messed up my sleep pattern, took a nap that was supposed to last an hour............and wound up sleeping till sometime in the afternoon

It all started fairly good Name:  rhino15.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  174.4 KB Then it rapidly went down the crapper.

The keyways almost killed the lathe, and destroyed 3 inserts (all 3 cutting edges on each one)

When the tool hit the keyways (2), the shock broke the tips of the tools, and drove the cross slide back against the leadscrew...NOTICEABLY. Whole damn cross slide started bucking. WITH A STINKIN' .005 DEPTH OF CUT AT 70RPM When the tips held up, they cut, and no problems other than slamming the leadscrew. Dropping the DOC to .003 helped, but the tips still broke. This is some miserable hard material

Cranking the lathe manually solved the problem Name:  rhino17.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  246.2 KB No shock to break the tip of the tool, and it cut smoothly. But you can't hand crank a lathe that has splash lubricated bearings........eventually they run out of oil if the machine isn't running at speed

Name:  rhino16.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  176.4 KB Got the Dremel out, and ground infeed ramps on both keyways. Solved the problem if you kept the DOC at .003 . Still trashed an additional insert though.

HSS might have held up better, but we'll never know. If the tool had broken, or dulled.........................good luck trying to come back in on the thread after removing the tool from the holder. Maybe at the beginning of the process, but not near the end.

Anyways..........got 'er done finally Name:  rhino20.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  244.9 KB The material cut like crap, resulting in a lot of work cleaning up the threads, but I can live with it.............Hell.........I gotta live with it

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  rhino18.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  173.8 KB Missed my pitch diameter by slightly less than .004, which resulted from a grabby spring pass. The material is so hard that the tool either tends to rub, or if it catches a good edge, will cut to a depth deeper than what you set the compound for. The spring passes were a total nightmare............tool rubs instead of cutting, forcing you to advance the compound to try and dig in.................THEN THE DAMN CUTTER GOES ALL THE WAY TO CHINA Basically a combination of hard material, and a less than rigid lathe. I don't see at as a major issue, because this is a one-off with a custom nut. I can smoogie the nut a bit tighter when I make it.

Name:  rhino22.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  222.5 KB Was a pleasure to finally take the collet off. End of story, outta here, get lost, don't let the door hit ya on the way out............................................... ...

Like suggested..........I might just hang these up somewhere to remind me of what a PITA this has been

Name:  rhino23.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  183.9 KB

One more fly in the ointment.......................................

Name:  rhino21.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  222.7 KB Downsizing the thread diameter isn't a problem, nor is making a new nut..................but the damn lock washer is too big now. When I make the nut, I'll have to leave a lip in the center to centralize the washer against the pinion. Otherwise, the tab that sits in the keyway will wander , and the nut won't be locked. I might get lucky, and source a washer that's the correct size, but it's a gamble.

Post Thanks / Like

Fitting a piece of keystock and temporarily retaining it with loctite may have helped that situation if it fit tight enough before you turned the diameter. I had an internal bore on a hub I had to enlarge and that worked well.

Post Thanks / Like

jb weld or similar in the keyway? take the shock loading off the tooltip?

Post Thanks / Like

You've got a welder. Gob snot some metal on the high side and grind it to fit into keyway. Make it look like a farmer fixed it, damnit...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Amico APC-70 Plasma
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

$24 for a lock washer? I'd still gob snot it with the welder...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Amico APC-70 Plasma
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    $24 for a lock washer? I'd still gob snot it with the welder...
    That is a pack of 10. But knowing Fastenal they would put about 20$ worth of shipping on it to get it to the store.

23. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

just saw that... lol.... I'd still gob snot it to save me the trip...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Amico APC-70 Plasma
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Fastenal was for "availability"

Bearings Online store was for actual per piece price in the real world

Ebay is for the bottom dollar price at my mailbox https://www.ebay.com/itm/13383775083...75.c101224.m-1

Or.........I'll just wander down to the local parts store and pay about maybe 10ish dollars.

Hard parts start with an image search, narrowed to sellers that have dimension specs in their description, then you look for the cheapest version of that particular part number. The Uranus Global Procurement Division is on the case

26. Likes AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The engineering is sound, but I still hate your solution. I'd have thread filed the originals and made it work.

For what it is... heck I'd probably have welded the nut back on, after all, you hope it shouldn't fail again in your lifetime...!
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

28. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything ground to yet another screeching halt yesterday.........just at the point of finishing up.

I lost the lathe thread center gage. Looked for over 2hrs for it, and no luck. I finally gave up, and called it a day. 100 mile round trip to get a stinkin' $5 gage today I guess. And havin' to do it draggin' that stinkin' trailer full of pipe.

Gotta haul pipe anyway, but the tool place is way off the highway, and I get miserable mileage off highway. And I'm too long to get in their parking lot access driveway. Have to park the damn thing on the street, and WALK.

I probably lose at least an hour a day losing things. It's getting worse.

Post Thanks / Like

I did, however, find my nice 6" satin chrome 4r ruler yesterday Was at the smoke shop, and sitting there waiting for the gal to get my carton, I looked sort of down at the dashboard........................and there it was.............tucked into the corner between the windshield, and the dashboard. Impossible to see unless you looked directly at it. It was just showing the thin edge.

So....................I figure I ought to find the center gage sometime in December

31. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist