Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: FAIL! Collets 101

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FAIL! Collets 101

I take the return grill off yearly, and clean the space underneath the furnace. There's usually enough dog hair in there to make a whole new dog I got almost half a small shop vac full of dog hair, and dust bunnies outta there today. It's right next to the kitchen table, and the mutt spends half his life with his head on my knee, waiting to be scratched

Name:  rhino82.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  243.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4255.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  82.1 KB You can see where the HVAC dooooods just dropped the cutout for the blower intake, and left it there when the house was built. Mighta thought I'd be needing it one day. Thoughtful guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I tried the paper non-allergen filters once, and they seemed to put a real load on the blower + reducing the air velocity at the hot air vents. I've always gone back to the fiberglass filters.
    My furnace repairman advised me not to use the non-allergen filters as well... they plug faster and put more load on the fan/furnace. I run the cheapies and change them 3 times a yr.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I can't believe how full of crud that filter is, and that's changed 3 times a year?!
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    My furnace repairman advised me not to use the non-allergen filters as well... they plug faster and put more load on the fan/furnace. I run the cheapies and change them 3 times a yr.
    Your furnace guy is full of it. Put an amp clamp on the fan motor- amperage will drop as the filter plugs. Itís not a positive displacement pump.

Post Thanks / Like

Guilty as Charged

Name:  rhino84.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  218.9 KB

Name:  rhino85.jpg
Size:  199.9 KB

Yes.................there was a time I couldn't weld for crap (although I seem to be regressing to that point these days)

I figure I'll cut it apart, and find some Sch40 that's close, and do it right this time. In my defense, yer honor, it held up ok for almost 27yrs

I think this might have been one of the first attempts at gluing stuff together way back in the beginning.

It whips like a drunken banana when it's running

Name:  bad shaft.png
Views: 384
Size:  158.4 KB

6. Likes AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the old saying if it ain't broke, leave it alone should apply here.

how about leaving it alone until you actually have the pipe in your hand then cut it apart to fix it. then you can use the thing in a push and not have it down until you have the pipe

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like hold
    If sell it grind and flat black paint

Dave

Guilty as Charged

Yes.................there was a time I couldn't weld for crap (although I seem to be regressing to that point these days)

I figure I'll cut it apart, and find some Sch40 that's close, and do it right this time. In my defense, yer honor, it held up ok for almost 27yrs

I think this might have been one of the first attempts at gluing stuff together way back in the beginning.

Post Thanks / Like

Guilty as Charged

I believe farmer code says that if a 540 PTO shaft is within .540 runout it's within acceptable tolerance.

10. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I believe farmer code says that if a 540 PTO shaft is within .540 runout it's within acceptable tolerance.
    Well... until you have to step over it....

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

There is a trick If weld a new driveline weld one end and balance before welding the other end .
    After welding other end re-balance the end you just weld.

Dave

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot all about any possible shields have to be missing for " monitoring " purposes.

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And it's not that cold out yet... the boys are still hanging...

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  rhino87.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  192.9 KB Tried to finesse the thing apart, thinking I could save the nub that the pipe had been welded to.

Name:  rhino86.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  204.2 KB This was a spectacular flop

Name:  rhino88.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  236.6 KB Said "screw it", and just cut the whole damn thing off

Spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how to sleeve the new pipe on................................... Nothing sounded good, and all of the ideas involved spending money for crap I don't care to buy, or wait for it to get here.

Spotted some 3/4" plate I have laying around..............................The light goes on. Make a coupla collars tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  rhino87.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  192.9 KB Tried to finesse the thing apart, thinking I could save the nub that the pipe had been welded to.

Name:  rhino86.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  204.2 KB This was a spectacular flop

Name:  rhino88.jpg
Size:  236.6 KB Said "screw it", and just cut the whole damn thing off

Spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how to sleeve the new pipe on................................... Nothing sounded good, and all of the ideas involved spending money for crap I don't care to buy, or wait for it to get here.

Spotted some 3/4" plate I have laying around..............................The light goes on. Make a coupla collars tomorrow.
    Just saying... I've done those before. Get a chunk of 6 spline pto shaft off a piece of junk equipment, chuck it in the lathe and shove the splined yoke over it, use a bullnose in the bore of the blank yoke and turn a shoulder to fit an appropriate piece of driveshaft tubing. Do the same with the slider collar, time the yoke and slider, press together and weld. Should be plenty close for 540 RPM. And no pressing the cross out. It was quick and dirty but worked.

19. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that Sam's Iliad was nearly over. Turns out he's just finished the first verse

21. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds as good as anything. Problem is, no junk shafts laying around. I'd imagine if I had a job shop, there would be........all the stuff coming in/out.

What I'd figured on is relatively simple, with the stuff on hand.

Name:  collars.jpg
Size:  76.2 KB

Cut a couple of pieces of plate roughly circular.
    Drill centered holes in both pieces.

For the yoke end...............press a pin in the drilled hole, turn the outside diameter, press the pin out, put it on the mill, and cut a groove to accept the Sch40 pipe. Press the pin back in, and weld it on the "outside" face, press the pin into the bore of the yoke, weld the yoke end of collar to yoke (the pin centers it), then face the pipe, and weld it to collar.

Slider end...............Do the same with pressed in pin to mount the collar blank on lathe, turn outside diameter. Remove pin, and mill two grooves to accept the slider, and pipe. Widen the pin bore to allow for the square slider shaft to move inside the collar. Face that end of pipe, clamp and weld.

This puts it out the door in a day I figure.

Don't be lookin' for purdy welds either Remember..................the damn thing is ROUND

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I thought that Sam's Iliad was nearly over. Turns out he's just finished the first verse
    Page 6 Name:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 274
Size:  1.1 KB

Little known fact.............................Homer had a ghost writer

24. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Steady at 23, gusts to 30mph winds today...................no O/A work I might get away with it, actually I probably COULD get away with it if I wet everything down.............but if something happens, and it gets away from you..........I hate to think of it.

I keep a hose handy at all times, due to the fact I weld on grass,, but today's a little bit over the line. Plus, if the wind's blowing hard, everything you wet down dries in a hurry.

Just about all the wildfires around here either come from welding, or some idiot burning a brush pile. Arcing power lines generally start fires in the 50+mph range.

Wasted day.

Post Thanks / Like

I take the return grill off yearly, and clean the space underneath the furnace. There's usually enough dog hair in there to make a whole new dog I got almost half a small shop vac full of dog hair, and dust bunnies outta there today. It's right next to the kitchen table, and the mutt spends half his life with his head on my knee, waiting to be scratched

Name:  rhino82.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  243.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4255.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  82.1 KB You can see where the HVAC dooooods just dropped the cutout for the blower intake, and left it there when the house was built. Mighta thought I'd be needing it one day. Thoughtful guys
    I donít know how much you smoke in the house, but I will bet you that a bunch of what you see on the filters (and walls, and grilles) is related to cigarette smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    I don’t know how much you smoke in the house, but I will bet you that a bunch of what you see on the filters (and walls, and grilles) is related to cigarette smoke.
    Absolutely.................we both smoke. It's Hell on paint, and doesn't exactly do much good for the lungs.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the blocked filters make a lot of sense now!

Post Thanks / Like

Wind finally died down towards the end of the day.

Torched some blanks, and center bored them.

Name:  rhino89.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  201.4 KB

Turned a pin to act as a fixture for turning the OD on the blanks.

Name:  rhino90.jpg
Size:  197.3 KB The pin is pressed in blank #1, which had a bore measuring 1.018 . Pin was turned to 1.020 for this blank

Name:  rhino92.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  185.9 KB The pin is pressed out, and turned again to match blank #2, which had a bore measuring 1.013 . Pin was further reduced in size to 1.015 for this blank.

I dunno if a lot of people do these press fits, but it's always necessary to cut a relief in the shoulder of the pin. Turn to size, face the shoulder, then come back in, use the compound to shove the cutter into the corner to create a small trough. This is your relief,, and allows the mating part to fit square to the shoulder when pressed in. You can also chamfer the inside diameter of the mating part, but I find it easier to cut a relief on the part I'm turning to fit the other part.

Name:  rhino93.jpg
Size:  129.0 KB This was the pin after the last turn/press cycle. It's hard to see the relief, but you can see the interruption in the shoulder face.

Press fits are sort of weird when using 1018. The material is soft enough, that if you make your pin too tight, it will just cause the metal to flow as it's pressed in. Your resulting fit might not be as tight as you think it is. I find that a good solid fit is obtained between .0015-.002 interference. With harder material, I usually shoot for a .0015 interference. Fatigue Proof, and Stress Proof, machine beautifully for press fits. You can feel the increased resistance as you press the parts together.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel, that for a truly reliable interference fit, a shrink fit is the best. No chance of galling the material, and inadvertently loosening the assembly.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW......................tain't cigarette smoke that plugs air filters.

Dogs, and dust, plugs filters. ONE WEEK SWEEPING DAY TODAY. Multiply this by however many weeks are in the heating season................

Name:  rhino95.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  233.2 KB Kitchen

Name:  rhino96.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  209.0 KB Rest of house.

Post Thanks / Like

Worked on everything but the Rhino this weekend

Got a bit done.

Name:  rhino97.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  221.2 KB Cleaned up the end that has the square drive broached in it. This is the weak point of the whole repair. The casting is not particularly well machined on the outside, and indicating it in the chuck was iffy at best. I'm thinking I might be off by as much as a possible 5-7 thousands. That's quite a bit for a drive shaft. I'm interested to see how it'll turn out.

Name:  rhino98.jpg
Size:  183.6 KB Cleaned up the bore in the yoke. This will be the center for the entire shaft, hope it's actually a good center.

Name:  rhino100.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  209.9 KB Parts ready for grooving, boring, and welding.

I don't like working with pipe. For me, it's hard to get it to chuck up properly. The thin wall tends to bend a bit in the chuck, and throws everything off. PITA to get small piece to sit square in the jaws.

Name:  rhino101.jpg
Size:  213.5 KB Best thing I've found..........just use a square to set it up right. Then face it,, and hope your setup was good.

Name:  rhino99.jpg
Size:  227.6 KB Got lucky.....turned out ok.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 6 Days Ago at 09:04 PM. Reason: added a sentence

33. Likes whtbaron liked this post