Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 343

Thread: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

  1. #276
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Overhead welding is good skill to lean.
    I aways purchased the best price on welding wire and rod.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Appreciate the input but We are wayyy beyond the initial question of Rod type

    I ended up using Forney 7018, the issue was ultimately the Lincoln 7018AC sucked.

    The Excalibur was 3x the price so I went with the Forney.

    My skill is surely still lacking for out of position stuff. But i think for my needs it’s more than acceptable now and have confidence when i flip the hood down.

  2. #277
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Well I'm still slowly chipping away at this. Moved on to the top of the containers now and built a pivoting bridge across the two. I opted not to connect the containers to the tower permanently because the containers are on dunnage/asphalt rather than a poured concrete slab. I did not want to risk movement of the containers over time compromising the tower.

    gone through around 20 lbs of 7018 now, its definitely been a great practice/learning experience thus far. Still plenty of room for improvement.

    The containers are definitely a challenging to deal with when you realize absolutely nothing but the perimeter is remotely structural and the edges are at best 2" 11g box tube.

    Once the hand rail is done I have to add safety chains and then just a few odds and ends to call it complete. Right now we are not utilizing the inside of the containers for training area they're storage.

    Name:  IMG_9289.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  128.5 KBName:  IMG_9305.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  95.8 KBName:  IMG_9214.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  316.1 KBName:  IMG_9286.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  309.8 KBName:  IMG_9205.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  258.9 KB
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 07-25-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  3. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  4. #278
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Looks great 👍
    Like welder too
    Nice and close for adjusting too.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Well I'm still slowly chipping away at this. Moved on to the top of the containers now and built a pivoting bridge across the two. I opted not to connect the containers to the tower permanently because the containers are on dunnage/asphalt rather than a poured concrete slab. I did not want to risk movement of the containers over time compromising the tower.

    gone through around 20 lbs of 7018 now, its definitely been a great practice/learning experience thus far. Still plenty of room for improvement.

    The containers are definitely a challenging to deal with when you realize absolutely nothing but the perimeter is remotely structural and the edges are at best 2" 11g box tube.

    Once the hand rail is done I have to add safety chains and then just a few odds and ends to call it complete. Right now we are not utilizing the inside of the containers for training area they're storage.

    Name:  IMG_9289.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  128.5 KBName:  IMG_9305.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  95.8 KBName:  IMG_9214.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  316.1 KBName:  IMG_9286.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  309.8 KBName:  IMG_9205.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  258.9 KB

  5. #279
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Looks great ��
    Like welder too
    Nice and close for adjusting too.

    Dave
    Thankfully that older container actually has a 200amp panel in it. I jerry rigged a welder outlet and ran a 50' 220 cord out.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  6. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  7. #280
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    My father used alligator clips and just walked over to the meter and connect.
    Maybe that was jerry rigged. But power cord was it was a 12 gauge 120 volt cord with adaptor from 240 to 120 volt on both ends jerry rigged it work great.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Thankfully that older container actually has a 200amp panel in it. I jerry rigged a welder outlet and ran a 50' 220 cord out.

  8. #281
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Gettin pretty good at the fit up in the wild.

    I was going to bevel that railing corner and just kinda said **** it, the base connections are way weaker if anything is going to fail.

    Name:  8CF46261-AD84-4F0D-A243-7B6F2977B5BA.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  180.1 KBName:  4F4BDC18-F259-457D-9054-91DE331A7D6A.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  177.7 KBName:  C641CABC-BC46-4619-B91D-D53FF9DB5718.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  168.6 KBName:  E86600E4-3085-41B6-B0B0-C32AAF7D53EF.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  134.5 KBName:  E8A77FD8-657B-43DF-B9FA-766040159A58.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  274.1 KB
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  9. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
  10. #282
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Few interruptions today but got the handrail completed finally excluding the middle bars.

    All the heavy lifting is finally done.

    The large pipes are intended to be a tie off point for rope systems. They won’t see more than around 500 lbs but the amount of weld on them i think you’d tear the container apart before the pipe failed.

    Name:  45C2AD96-2427-4342-915F-A3BCD4DB8954.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  200.7 KBName:  AD407200-DE0C-459A-A68C-FB68A55E6D22.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  319.5 KBName:  5AE420A1-E018-4B67-B545-C71B2B34F452.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  346.8 KB
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  11. Likes whtbaron, Welder Dave liked this post
  12. #283
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    You are in peril. Super Missle Weld is the ONLY rod that could be used in this situation. Trust me, I know...

  13. #284
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Why do you say that? It's apparently all low carbon steel so lo hi rods are indicated.

  14. #285
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Not a lot of weldors would notch the pipe for the angle iron hand rail. It definitely adds a lot more strength. Probably not needed but better to over build on something like this than under build. Looks great.

  15. #286
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Not a lot of weldors would notch the pipe for the angle iron hand rail. It definitely adds a lot more strength. Probably not needed but better to over build on something like this than under build. Looks great.
    I suppose I could have notched the angle itself, but from an aesthetic standpoint this seemed more appropriate. Granted no one will ever see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    You are in peril. Super Missle Weld is the ONLY rod that could be used in this situation. Trust me, I know...
    You're about 12 pages late to the party on rod suggestions friend.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  16. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  17. #287
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    I think Yofish was being sarcastic. If not it would have cost about 5 times more to do the job. It looks good the way you notched the pipe.

  18. #288
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I think Yofish was being sarcastic. If not it would have cost about 5 times more to do the job. It looks good the way you notched the pipe.
    Maybe… but these days it’s tough to say lol
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  19. #289
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    4,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Thing of beauty, nice welding, so good no one will notice. FWIW when I do butts with 1/4 I shoot for 1/8 or so gap if I can. That joint is so strong none of it matters.

  20. #290
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Thing of beauty, nice welding, so good no one will notice. FWIW when I do butts with 1/4 I shoot for 1/8 or so gap if I can. That joint is so strong none of it matters.
    Thanks. Welds are far from expert level but this has been a real beneficial project in learning all positions with 7018/stick in general. Think I burned 20-25 lbs total so far.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  21. #291
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    4,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Those welds are not far from expert. Here is a thing. First, it aint gotta be as good as it can be,,, that doesnt mean its noit a good job but there is a limit to the requirement/ You could put nuke lev el fit asnd prep and in the end once this is painted and even before with a little weather and this is going to look really good. A lot of the worlds work isnt perfect, big shocker, especially vertical and even guys that do this every day let some appearance and finish slip for some speed. Most of this is not relevent here, takes a little longer to be neat its worth it, the learning is worth it.
    Say we welding out a trailer frame , old one inm a repair and look down that thing thinking I wanna be done and out from under this rusty bugger sometime today I lose a little edge and it strays from gonna be perfect to well good enough. Here the welding needs to be respectable,,, which it is by a long shot, career guy or not that rod doesnt know any different and this is professional all the way and the nice clean design sells it. Lots of the worlds work,,, design important,,, welding not so much,,, that doesnt apply to it all, that is some generalization but I really dont walk around looking and really notice unless its horrible. I looked at something yesterday, cant even recall what it was but flat fillet on a frame cross rails and every one undercut. They were suffeciently strong and no holes, even heavy enough but the operator didnt grasp undercut. Once it was assembled, never mattered.

  22. #292
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    4,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Even experts, guys do this every day hate to show net verticals,,, the camera really shows the flaws, some not really flaws but simply not consistent in appearance so to speak.
    You can see first pass pretty neat, starts to get more tedious with second and takes more discipline.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sberry; 08-06-2022 at 07:33 AM.

  23. #293
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    6,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    I suppose I could have notched the angle itself, but from an aesthetic standpoint this seemed more appropriate. Granted no one will ever see it.



    You're about 12 pages late to the party on rod suggestions friend.
    For sure I would have used at minimum Super Missile Weld, but preferably Inconel 625, Hastellow-W, or Hastelloy-X. You can never be too sure!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  24. #294
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Been dreading this part, got all the pieces cut and tacked in place.

    Weld it all up another day

    Name:  3858BBA1-A9DC-40E1-9F99-C14012B1CD00.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  173.3 KBName:  962AEA49-EBDB-4AFF-ADF7-9CC858FF2BEF.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  99.1 KBName:  04B0CA3C-CD5A-47C0-8C9F-AB0D41C24B45.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  286.7 KBName:  61DD6AE0-9D35-406E-9894-1B9BBE9CD466.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  167.7 KBName:  1F5736E8-01CA-4DDA-99C3-2812B208767A.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  152.7 KB
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  25. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  26. #295
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    8,028
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Nice fit up, but I think you're going to wish you had ground that rust back better before you started tacking.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  27. #296
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Nice fit up, but I think you're going to wish you had ground that rust back better before you started tacking.
    I’m gonna wire wheel it all.

    I would have done it already, but the angle grinder I was using became a victim of gravity on my way up the ladder…
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  28. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  29. #297
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post

    [/ATTACH]Name:  IMG_9214.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  316.1 KBName:  IMG_9286.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  309.8 KBName:  IMG_9205.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  258.9 KB
    it looks like a "peeping tom platform"

  30. #298
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Got the final piece completed outside of a few odds and ends.

    Nice when you work on a level surface and can just square things up that way.

    Working on changing the horrible fiberglass decking to bar grating if we can scavenge enough of it.

    Name:  B5D9358E-4999-478B-BB87-D09AAEF28246.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  192.3 KBName:  EBA1D1EF-5540-49B2-B994-FA2E708BF519.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  280.9 KBName:  A5ECF254-8871-4220-B413-1038D15C2264.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  269.5 KBName:  E918E542-1015-4D81-A85F-1771E60769E1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  294.4 KB
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

    Zach

    Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

  31. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  32. #299
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    Looks great 👍

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Got the final piece completed outside of a few odds and ends.

    Nice when you work on a level surface and can just square things up that way.

    Working on changing the horrible fiberglass decking to bar grating if we can scavenge enough of it.

    Name:  B5D9358E-4999-478B-BB87-D09AAEF28246.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  192.3 KBName:  EBA1D1EF-5540-49B2-B994-FA2E708BF519.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  280.9 KBName:  A5ECF254-8871-4220-B413-1038D15C2264.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  269.5 KBName:  E918E542-1015-4D81-A85F-1771E60769E1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  294.4 KB

  33. #300
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Would I be wrong to use 6013 over 7018 on this?

    is the stilt closest in top pic, leaning , or does it just look that way?
    is the idea to hang from that pipe flanged thing?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,664,382,996.64543 seconds with 13 queries