Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: auto-draining water separator for compressed air

Post Thanks / Like

Re: auto-draining water separator for compressed air

Quote Originally Posted by labparamour View Post
    M J D,
    I have a similar auto drain (still sitting in the box).
    I was debating wiring it to the motor side of pressure switch so it only ran when compressor cuts in (during infrequent use, didn’t want it cycling).
    If set to drain for 2 or 3 seconds every 1/2 minute, figure would keep things drained.
    Not sure if power spikes, etc might shorten life of electronics in drain.
    Thoughts?
    That would work. If you have an electrical disconnect, wiring it to that may be better.

2. Likes labparamour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: auto-draining water separator for compressed air

Quote Originally Posted by labparamour View Post
    M J D,
    I have a similar auto drain (still sitting in the box).
    I was debating wiring it to the motor side of pressure switch so it only ran when compressor cuts in (during infrequent use, didnít want it cycling).
    If set to drain for 2 or 3 seconds every 1/2 minute, figure would keep things drained.
    Not sure if power spikes, etc might shorten life of electronics in drain.
    Thoughts?
    I was considering setting my auto drain up as you describe. I decided against it, thinking that the air in the tank would not have time to cool and condensate before the compressor shuts off.

I added a long nipple between the tank and the auto drain, to hopefully allow the condensate to collect ďoutsideĒ of the tank. I also have a ball valve right before the auto drain that I have throttled so the auto drain isnít so annoying, just a pop and a hiss rather than a deafening jet. 2-3 seconds every 10 minutes or so seems to keep the moisture out. My compressor never gets shut off and the drain runs itís cycle 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes labparamour liked this post