+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Face Shield

Post Thanks / Like

Face Shield

Thinking of upgrading to a higher quality faceshield. Going to get a clear and a shade 5 .

Wondering what you guys are using. Miller, Lincoln, and Jackson all have them now.

I'm still using the cheap Jackson from 15 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Face Shield

If you got 15 yrs out of the cheap one maybe a Jackson upgrade. Of course after 15 yrs maybe the best Jackson isn't as good as your old one.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

3. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is the basic old style one. The new ones have improved as far as safety goes. Plus, they have a anti fogging and a better face covering design.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Mine is the basic old style one. The new ones have improved as far as safety goes. Plus, they have a anti fogging and a better face covering design.
    Can you replace your old shield with a new anti fog unit or are they shaped differently so that you need the new headgear also?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Sellstrom that must be at least ten years old.

Pretty certain it isn't fog proof. I treat protective eyewear with anti fog spray occasionally but have mixed results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

7. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Face Shield

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Can you replace your old shield with a new anti fog unit or are they shaped differently so that you need the new headgear also?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My headgear has been shot for years ??

I use 1/4x20 bolts and nuts to secure faceshield to headgear and duct tape on headbands. I still have a few new clear shields left. I bought a box of them 20 years ago at least.
    I have 4 of them too !!
    They take a beating with the kids I teach.

I'm gonna order the Miller ones. A shade 5 and a clear. These I'll use only until the oldies get really bad.

Yours looks like a current model.
    That style seems nicer.

Post Thanks / Like

Uhh, Bob the 1/4-20's and duct tape prob weigh more than the rest of the shield.

:

10. Likes BD1, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Uhh, Bob the 1/4-20's and duct tape prob weigh more than the rest of the shield.

Yes they do.
    I am Polish though.
    When I do repairs for the farmers, I leave the faceshields out so they see them. I get better tips that way. The same for my torn to shreds caps .

12. Likes Lis2323, Shootr, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I super careless or does anyone go through clear lenses every month or so? Even though I hang it up and away when not using it, scratches, spots, and other occlusions still crap it up. The replacements are only a few bucks so no big deal - just curious.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Am I super careless or does anyone go through clear lenses every month or so? Even though I hang it up and away when not using it, scratches, spots, and other occlusions still crap it up. The replacements are only a few bucks so no big deal - just curious.
    My Jackson is old, and yes, I go through those cheap faceshields too.
    That's why I'm going to try the Miller because they're supposed to last longer.
    All the newer models are supposed to be better.
    They better be an improvement , since the newer manufacturered ones are $7.00 and up each.
    I ordered the Miller so I'll see in a couple weeks.

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the Miller so I'll SEE in a couple weeks.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Oh you are not alone... I've broke so many I've all but given up on them unless it's really required. Mostly I just use the tight fitting glasses and scratch them up quickly as well.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of face shields are just plain plastic. Polycarbonate is notorious for scratching if you look at it wrong, but it has astounding impact strength, so very good from a safety standpoint for a face shield. You CAN find face shields that are "hardcoated" that have a special ceramic type coating on them that greatly improves the durability but they will cost more. It doesn't turn plastic into diamond, but they will hold up a lot better and last longer. So look for a face shield that has a hardcoat applied to it if you really want them to last longer, or just be OK with replacing them frequently.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a UVEX brand which was a little pricey, and I bought a SAS Safety Corp from Harbor Freight which I really like with the exception of replacing the shield can't be done through HF

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson is not cheap I had one for 30 years.
    Today I have a Home Depot lower cost .
    I also use safety glass for most work.

Dave

Thinking of upgrading to a higher quality faceshield. Going to get a clear and a shade 5 .

Wondering what you guys are using. Miller, Lincoln, and Jackson all have them now.

I'm still using the cheap Jackson from 15 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that if I don't stand in front of the grinder, they last pretty good

All kidding aside.....................only time I use a face shield is when I have a very nasty cutting job to do. Something that can cause the moten metal, or slag, to come back in your face. Other than that, it's just a pair of decent safety glasses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I find that if I don't stand in front of the grinder, they last pretty good

All kidding aside.....................only time I use a face shield is when I have a very nasty cutting job to do. Something that can cause the moten metal, or slag, to come back in your face. Other than that, it's just a pair of decent safety glasses.
    Same here

:

23. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried buffing out the scratches on the more expensive thicker plastic face shields with a buffing wheel on a grinder or would it just melt the plastic?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Has anyone tried buffing out the scratches on the more expensive thicker plastic face shields with a buffing wheel on a grinder or would it just melt the plastic?
    Just wondering if those "Headlight restoration" products would work.
    Hobart 190 mig
    Lincoln/Century 140 mig
    Lincoln buzz box
    Chicago Electric cutoff saw
    Lotos LTP5000D Plasma Cutter
    HMC Swivel head band saw

26. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cabranch47 View Post
    Just wondering if those "Headlight restoration" products would work.
    I've never had any luck with those products on headlight lenses.

Lack of patience doesn't help...

:

28. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea....mediocre luck on the headlights but I was thinking of the same product. Go slow with a lamb's wool and you shouldn't burn with a really fine polishing (not rubbing compound... that's for hand use) compound. The problem is that lack of clarity isn't just due to scratches, it's also due to fogging and yellowing of the plastic itself as it gets older and more brittle. Any fine cracking under the surface isn't coming out. I've also heard of guys shooting a coat of clear over the lexan headlight covers, but again, that doesn't help what's going on under the surface. I suspect for the cheap lenses, you would spend more money (and time) trying to restore them than they are worth on sale. Buy bulk and keep them away from sparks and sunlight.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

30. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used this stuff but it's a lot of work. I would just buy new ones.

:

32. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wear this over my bandana, when brazing with googles...

Name:  head strap.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  149.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

if i have to wear a shield, i use the black steel mesh type w/ my safety glasses (which never come off), which is way better. its holes are about size of ur window screens or slightly coarser, and 3+ times stiffer. even when a plastic shield is new/unscratched, i cant see what im prepping w/ curved plastic that far awy from my eyes. often cant have time/effort to be switching hoods/shields back and forth, so i use a flip up lens welding hood. i can see out of a flat piece 2x4 window ok, and can replace it every other day for $1. problem is, i feel like a horse w/ blinders, as i cant see around me, as something may be falling/happening , and cant see other people walking behind me, as i nail them w/ grindings. just been through a pow wow over this exact issue on a job - too much of this is more of a hazard than safety.
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-08-2021 at 10:41 PM.

35. Likes N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    if i have to wear a shield, i use the black steel mesh type w/ my safety glasses (which never come off), which is way better. its holes are about size of ur window screens or slightly coarser, and 3+ times stiffer. even when a plastic shield is new/unscratched, i cant see what im prepping w/ curved plastic that far awy from my eyes. often cant have time/effort to be switching hoods/shields back and forth, so i use a flip up lens welding hood. i can see out of a flat piece 2x4 window ok, and can replace it every other day for $1. problem is, i feel like a horse w/ blinders, as i cant see around me, as something may be falling/happening , and cant see other people walking behind me, as i nail them w/ grindings. just been through a pow wow over this exact issue on a job - too much of this is more of a hazard than safety.
    I was wondering about those mesh ones, I've never tried one. After 3 trips to the ER for metal in the eye (twice while wearing a full face shield), I fully understand where you're coming from about keeping the glasses on under the shield. Fragments can bounce in from over the top or around the edges. I like to use the glasses with the foam around the edges to keep things out when it's not too hot (fogging issues). The better glasses also seem to stay clear longer and aren't much different cost wise than replacing visor fronts. These days I rely more on the glasses and try to stay out of the line of fire, but I don't have any Safety Bob's looking over my shoulder.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

37. Likes xmmancharl liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist