+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good 4.5-5" air grinder light and powerful?

Post Thanks / Like

Good 4.5-5" air grinder light and powerful?

Looking to get a new one. I like the small aircat we got at work. Says its 1 hp and it's very light and nimble. Looking to see other options. We use the ingersoll rand 3345 also. There nice but I'd like more power. we got some mac ones too that have good power but heavy and exhaust blows with uber high pressure right onto you're hand. Insulated is a big plus since it's getting colder. The boss got a new cp that he says was 200$ and it seems smooth and strongName:  Screenshot_20211111-173428_Chrome.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  206.7 KBhere's that aircat
    Last edited by motolife313; 11-11-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good 4.5-5" air grinder light and powerful?

Aircat builds some really good impact wrenches, I would think their grinder would be good too.

3. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the extended reach Aircat and use it every day.

“Apparently” they excel at removing tack welds on screwed up fabrication projects!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

5. Likes motolife313, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, back when it was shiney, I wanna get a 45 degree angle die grinder for cutting tacks and welds in tricky spots. I see proto sells one for little over100$ . I like the power of s and p die grinders. But a guy at work says it burns the bearings fast. In 1 year for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Nice, back when it was shiney, I wanna get a 45 degree angle die grinder for cutting tacks and welds in tricky spots. I see proto sells one for little over100$ . I like the power of s and p die grinders. But a guy at work says it burns the bearings fast. In 1 year for him.
    Look on the head, there should be a grease fitting for a special grease gun. If greased once a month or so, depending on usage, it will last quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious - why do you guys all prefer air over electric?

Over here in the UK, pretty much everyone uses 110v grinders, 800w to 2200 watts for a 4.5-5". You can do a LOT of damage with 2.2kw going through a 4.5" disc

I see a few guys in australia prefer air over electric as well.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post

Over here in the UK, pretty much everyone uses 110v grinders, 800w to 2200 watts for a 4.5-5". You can do a LOT of damage with 2.2kw going through a 4.5" disc

For me, not a pro, the air tools are much lighter than electric and do not get hot like electric.
    Didn't realize y'all had 110vac in the UK!

10. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post

Being able to feather the RPMs is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

12. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aircat has a ~2.5 HP 5" grinder for around $350 on Amazon, but you need like 60+ CFM to run it. I have a couple of CP 4" air grinders, about 0.8HP or so, and they are nice, but the exhaust blows out the front, which is not good if you plan to weld in that area. I got them for $80 brand new, so they were a steal.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

14. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oscar has a nice grinder collection there, but pay attention when he says they use a lot of air. If you've got 10 guys working in the shop and everyone is at the air, a big HP grinder might be the tipping bucket for your air supply.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

16. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This lightweight Nitto Kohki has tons of power.

Exhausts away from the operator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lot of air, equipment and power to run a little disk. That is the main reason to use electric, its why I use it. I have air but limit it to use on more specialty grinders instead of the air comp firing every time I want a little zing. Dont need to run 10 hp to do the work of 3/4 or less.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-12-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Oscar has a nice grinder collection there, but pay attention when he says they use a lot of air. If you've got 10 guys working in the shop and everyone is at the air, a big HP grinder might be the tipping bucket for your air supply.
    Thanks; these were the ones I stole on ebay. $80 or $90 each, brand spanking new. Compact and light enough to use in one hand, and pretty good power. With a Cubitron II hard grinding disc it can easily tackle tough grinding. The handle is hollow though; I wish it was solid. I might pop off the cap and fill it with concrete.

This is the Aircat 5" grinder I found on Amazon. 2.3HP. Pretty good price for that power rating! I might be tempted to buy one before they jack up the price just like everything else. The mfg info says "10 CFM". Fool's answer.

BTW, a 5" air grinder with a true 90psi backing it while under load, @ 12,000 RPMs is heaps better than a 4.5" @ 11,000 RPMs ! 21% Increase in circumferential speed at the edge of the disc! That reminds me, I've been meaning to order the Ceramic abrasives from Pearl to see if they're any good.
    Last edited by Oscar; 11-12-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The CP are a deal for sure. I mainly use 1/4 hard wheel for everything humanly possible and then I like the air on wire wheel and cut off. Some pricing has got more competitive, at one time those cost 200 maybe?
    Those 3 are my staples in air grind. The right angle is generic, can be found under a couple brands, I use it for wire and cut off and is one of the most durable tools I ever use. I have 3 of my own, have used others and am NOT a hobby type. Had a guy run one steady for 3 months, have never so much as had to tighten a screw on one.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

I should get a new long reach but,,, I really dont find myself backed in as much as I used to. As for the wheels,,, I been using HF and the 10 pack from the farm store were a dollar a piece, I think maybe 150 now. Once in a while I run a couple wheels off on a job but they go a long way and only time I can really tell some difference is if I am really leaning on them and even then its not night and day, I have ran them side by side,,,, to me simply not worth the worryu and the effort, so I put one or 2 more on in a month,,,,
    I get anxiety attack if I see the stack going down too far and makes it almost painless to replenish.
    Now,,, I say this with respect,,, nothing wrong with top end and quality tools. Nothing at all but along the way we found some gems we lean on and in the end like as good or better. I am not a collector, wouldnt have it unless I needed it and really like taking the pain out of getting what I need when I need it with the modern economy tool. My go to drill is now a 50$ one from Walmart as is the grinder. There are 2 cheaper grinding wheels, one better than the other. Replaced my worn drivers with HF, 30 new ones for 50$ and like as good or better than the Klein.
    Bought a roll of solid wire from Menards the other day and a spool of alum from Home Depot. 30 yrs ago would have bought the best from the jobbers but all that cost now and is so time consuming and I aint blowin the guy at the house just so he might gimme some deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 or 3 CP chisels we ruined,,, after that got one from NAPA in a pinch and it still works, go figure? Some of that stuff simply cost too much to fix, aint putting 50 or 80 in to a worn out ratchet can be replaced for 100.

Post Thanks / Like

I went thru a bucket full of "better" brand grinders and now in the last 15 yrs or so have used 4 and maybe on 5 now of the BD. bought 2 on sale for 20 and other 3 full price at 30 and recently opened my last new one when the spindle lock failed on one, I should salvage from another, I fixed a switch on one ran another 3 years every day, not replace but fix,,, and never have to replace a cord. Cost me 100 bucks for grinders for 15 years, brand cost me that every year.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a fancy grinder and the boss said it was 1200$. Cp makes a 1200$ that looks identical. Hits high rpm and is a dog way before the compressor even needs to run on again. You can hear a insane about of exhaust and it's super loud. I'm not into it. It's like a 65cc 2 stroke dirtbike.i do ride a 500cc

27. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me its about what it takes to do the work, you can throw as much as you want at it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    This lightweight Nitto Kohki has tons of power.

Exhausts away from the operator.

Closest I could find was this one for $450....https://www.amazon.ca/Nitto-Kohki-ML.../dp/B00NV7HTD0
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

A guy that uses to work here has this 7" grinder. Thing made a ton of torque and powerName:  Screenshot_20211112-155239_Chrome.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  219.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Lot of air, equipment and power to run a little disk. That is the main reason to use electric, its why I use it. I have air but limit it to use on more specialty grinders instead of the air comp firing every time I want a little zing. Dont need to run 10 hp to do the work of 3/4 or less.
    I would have to agree with Sberry I wouldn't want to run a large compressor for every small grinding job while I'm welding For the same reason I would never want to run an air needle scaler while I'm welding

Post Thanks / Like

Closest I could find was this one for $450....https://www.amazon.ca/Nitto-Kohki-ML.../dp/B00NV7HTD0
    Hmm looks like that one is .29 HP

Mine is an older discontinued model. 1.2 HP iirc.

:

33. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 7 is a sander and it is one of my go to tools, 36 grit.

Post Thanks / Like

80 cfm is close to 20 hp from single phase.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist