+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Basic Terminology and Procedure?

Post Thanks / Like

Basic Terminology and Procedure?

First off I'd like to say Hi and that I hope I can ask my questions and receive answers to them without being belittled. I've been "welding" for about 3 years now and it was something that I picked up at work and have found a love for. I skipped ARC and MIG and jumped straight into TIG and feel as though i do an alright job. Of course if money weren't so tight I'd go to school but alas that isn't the case.

I'd like to know what a "hot pass" is. When welding to pieces of aluminum together (which is the primary medium I weld) do you always need to have a gap? If not, then what circumstances would you want to have a gap when welding. I also watch TikTok videos and have heard the term "push in" when referring to ARC welding. What is that and what is it's purpose? I do appreciate anyone that gives me the slightest amount of their time to help me better myself. So, thanks in advance. I do plan to learn the other welding types but I want to get TIG down before I move on.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Basic Terminology and Procedure?

I am not the best at explaining and I'm sure others will chime in. But here we go.

A hot pass is something you put down over a root pass ( I assume you know what this is since you did not ask). The purpose of which is to reinforce the root and get things ready for a "fill pass".

You don't need to always have a gap when welding aluminum. Since you asked a very broad question this is a very broad answer.

3. Likes c.Gross liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An answer is still an answer and helps me understand the terms that I'm hearing. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

You find there is a lots of slang on the internet.
    Try dingle barriers this is slang I even had in books.

I been welding since the 1960's and there lot of slang in welding industry.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by c.Gross View Post
    First off I'd like to say Hi and that I hope I can ask my questions and receive answers to them without being belittled. I've been "welding" for about 3 years now and it was something that I picked up at work and have found a love for. I skipped ARC and MIG and jumped straight into TIG and feel as though i do an alright job. Of course if money weren't so tight I'd go to school but alas that isn't the case.

I'd like to know what a "hot pass" is. When welding to pieces of aluminum together (which is the primary medium I weld) do you always need to have a gap? If not, then what circumstances would you want to have a gap when welding. I also watch TikTok videos and have heard the term "push in" when referring to ARC welding. What is that and what is it's purpose? I do appreciate anyone that gives me the slightest amount of their time to help me better myself. So, thanks in advance. I do plan to learn the other welding types but I want to get TIG down before I move on.

6. Likes c.Gross liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welding splatter?

Post Thanks / Like

Hot pass is really a pipe welding term more than anything. It has to do with a second, and maybe a third, pass over a root as Weld said. But this pass is usually done at a higher amperage and is done to reshape and reinforce the root, as well as to to burn off any slag/wagon tracks that didn't get removed from the root pass.
    Miller Multimatic 255

9. Likes c.Gross, CAVEMANN, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think welding splatter is more descriptive that dingle berries.
    I remove welding splatter with a leaf spring.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by c.Gross View Post
    Welding splatter?

11. Likes c.Gross liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to welding tips and tricks on YT. Jody provides lots of good info on many welding processes.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

13. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Louie is correct concerning the hot pass, it refers to pipe welding

For typical aluminum welding you won't use a gap, but as stated you asked a very broad question.
    If your doing work for a customer then just follow their provided print, otherwise if it's for yourself
    you probably don't need a gap.

If you have a specific question about something you are building then post back with photo's and you'll get
    specific answers.

Welcome to the forum.

>>Go to welding tips and tricks on YT +1
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

There is the **** hair,,, red and blonde, every welder needs a pecker. The chokers have aholes in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Best slag hammer ever is a hatchet.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll disagree that a hot pass is always pipe. I feel the application is most often pipe, but thick steel butt welds are prepared about the same with pipe or flat plate. If prepared as a 37.5 degree bevel from both pieces, with a land (cut perpendicular) then spaced with an open root.

Whether it is welded root pass with TIG, stick, (I've never heard of MIG open root, but I see no reason not to.), the root pass is done in line. Either stich & pause, or tight weave, melting one side then the other.

Next pass, once the root has been welded closed is the hot pass. It isn't necessarily increased amperage, but no risk it'll burn through. Hot pass is often a narrow weave if vertical.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I'll disagree that a hot pass is always pipe. I feel the application is most often pipe, but thick steel butt welds are prepared about the same with pipe or flat plate. If prepared as a 37.5 degree bevel from both pieces, with a land (cut perpendicular) then spaced with an open root.

Whether it is welded root pass with TIG, stick, (I've never heard of MIG open root, but I see no reason not to.), the root pass is done in line. Either stich & pause, or tight weave, melting one side then the other.

Next pass, once the root has been welded closed is the hot pass. It isn't necessarily increased amperage, but no risk it'll burn through. Hot pass is often a narrow weave if vertical.

I never said "always"
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Spatter.

Post Thanks / Like

As a matter of interest, the AWS implies that "hot pass" is slang.

hot pass, pipe. A nonstandard term when used for the weld pass subsequent to the root pass.

It appears to have been added to the Standard Welding Terms and Definitions in 2001.

Jack

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist