+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My welding job

Post Thanks / Like

My welding job

This is the kind of thing I really do and as satisfying as major projects which i really dont care for.

2. Dislikes motolife313 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My welding job

Nothing comes up. Is that to say making nothing posts is what you do all day?

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, was interupted. Got distracted with real work, ha. I was doing something and this caulk gun had ended on the floor several times. I was gonna tack an s hook on and this scrap was laying there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-13-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What I gues the point of it was,,, do a hundred of this type of thing over real major projects. I would be absolutely lost without the bility to make fast hangers and brackets. 99% of the welding is just one simple piece to another, doesnt need anything sophisticated to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Do most of it from pieces I find near ready made. If a guy tries he can find more complicated way which I used to do. Seems about 1/2 of it I can find a drop drop the last piece the right size.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-14-2021 at 08:20 AM.

7. Likes VaughnT, shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We built 7 of these trailers from the junk yard, only thing we bought was new jack leg for each one. I been to the steel yard once in years and it was for a customer repair.

9. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great
    I have used the junk yard for few projects. It can a real cost savings

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    We built 7 of these trailers from the junk yard, only thing we bought was new jack leg for each one. I been to the steel yard once in years and it was for a customer repair.

11. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was from our own yard where I had collected and demo some stuff. We went out and had a big roundup. They are made for a specific width. I had 2 others when I did these and it was a lot of handling, being their own bunk is really handy.

Post Thanks / Like

I made multiple -stackable bunks out of 2" square tube for our irrigation pipe.

Each had fork pockets so that the rough terrain forklift could stack them or drop them on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

14. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have seen schemes like that also, even hydro trailer that went under the bunks, lots of schemes. I block these in the winter and simply pull off when I need one and only need the tow tractor to park or retrieve. A heavy forklift was something I probably should have acquired at some point.
    I fiddled with lots of ideas when I was younger, this is something I should have done 30 yrs earlier, more. I find I am late with simple things on occasion that really eats. This doesnt just pertain to this but I really am getting more practical and universal as I go and try not to get caught up preparing for the one off. This is different than for the hobby or the collector but most of the really good useful ideas were simple at the time as needed and my more,,, complicated, custom ideas seemed better at the time and often became dust collectors, still have a couple.
    I find myself really trying to master the number 9 plier and the 440 channelock and if I can do it with a simple screwdriver I do. I try to get over the golden arm mentality. If I need it I need it, ifg I can do it with a friver I do, this is different if its regular but something I need once I dont need to run to the snapon truck for and let it sit in the drawer, thats what they make cman and HF for. I bought a socket a while back after I was done thinking this would be great and never use it again.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-15-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have seen schemes like that also, even hydro trailer that went under the bunks, lots of schemes. I block these in the winter and simply pull off when I need one and only need the tow tractor to park or retrieve. A heavy forklift was something I probably should have acquired at some point.
    I fiddled with lots of ideas when I was younger, this is something I should have done 30 yrs earlier, more. I find I am late with simple things on occasion that really eats. This doesnt just pertain to this but I really am getting more practical and universal as I go and try not to get caught up preparing for the one off. This is different than for the hobby or the collector but most of the really good useful ideas were simple at the time as needed and my more,,, complicated, custom ideas seemed better at the time and often became dust collectors, still have a couple.
    I find myself really trying to master the number 9 plier and the 440 channelock and if I can do it with a simple screwdriver I do. I try to get over the golden arm mentality. If I need it I need it, ifg I can do it with a friver I do, this is different if its regular but something I need once I dont need to run to the snapon truck for and let it sit in the drawer, thats what they make cman and HF for. I bought a socket a while back after I was done thinking this would be great and never use it again.
    Snap-on will suck the life out of you. During Covid I had stopped at a truck in Hempstead a town near me because I saw a snap on truck which you do not see many around here anymore. I paid the guy cash for a special order extended 9/16” socket that I wanted to use for ceiling cassettes on mini split refrigeration systems. He took my information and I never saw him again. I got his number and called and he never returned my calls. Burned my biscuits. I had done business like that for years. Every time I pass his customers I look for him, one day I will catch him.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

The trailer looks great.

Dave

It was from our own yard where I had collected and demo some stuff. We went out and had a big roundup. They are made for a specific width. I had 2 others when I did these and it was a lot of handling, being their own bunk is really handy.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure the snap guy is ok, never met the one here, the old was a snooty prick and if you didnt charge and run an account he didnt seem to care. He dont like cash, ok by me and he doesnt have anything I need cant get elsewhere faster and 6x cheaper anyway.
    I remember when I was in college he came around telling us what a deal it all was and I step on the truck with a wish list and stopped at 14K and about 1/2 or 1/3 thru,,, I went to Sears and bought the biggest set they had was around 3K or 3500 at the time. It wasnt great, I added a lot but it got me past being tool poor at the time. Now cheaper tools have got so much better it wouldnt even be a consideration if I had to start over.
    In fact only a few things would be brand on my short list anymore and thats getting shorter. We bought a saw from Menards the other day is way ahead of the Stihl I think and might rethink that again if my bro hadnt just spent 800+ new bars and chains to go along.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-15-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Saws a little the same way. I understand in a continuous fab shop with new steel coming off the rack there are better easier ways to cut but they wont do much for me where some fab, but repair is as common, I like the simple chop saw and do miters with a plasma mostly when the RARE occasion comes up I need one.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldnt even cross my mind to miter a bunch of tube for a bench.

Post Thanks / Like

Low cost work bench .
    That how come by my work bench too.
    Today cost of steel, I am bet a lot of us are looking a scrape been.

Dave

Wouldnt even cross my mind to miter a bunch of tube for a bench.

Post Thanks / Like

As for the trailers I collected enough from the yard to build 6 One I bought as scrap from a sale and reconfig it.
    These underground Z, very little grinding wheel injured here, found old box of Hobart 6010 on the shelf had been sitting there so long they tended to fingernail. Only rolled the joints a little, simply reach around them most of the time, square cut, no bevel on pipe about 3/16 wall, single pass, trim to fit close and 6 to 8 1/8 rods depending on gap and position. If I was doing it regular would bump up to 5/32 and set on horses or stands
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-16-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Was gonna buy a drain thingy then I wanted it now and as little as I use it works well. Getting ready to move another green thing in to the paint booth now.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-16-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Low cost work bench .
    That how come by my work bench too.
    Today cost of steel, I am bet a lot of us are looking a scrape been.

Dave
    I chopped up a couple of workout weight benches to make the frame for my small hobby welding table. Works for me.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

chopped up a couple of workout weight benches to make the frame for my small hobby welding table. Works for me.
    Thats kind of what its about for me, am all for reuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Good uses of a workout bench.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I chopped up a couple of workout weight benches to make the frame for my small hobby welding table. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when you built it . Right around the end of January, right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember when I built it.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Here my bench from scrap iron.
    Note I sold welder it was 120 volts.
    The new welder is on a cart made from scrap too.

Dave

HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

30. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The scrap ones are my favorite. The fancy from scratch are ok and understand fussy but i like cheap and easy anymore.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist