+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem with stubby gas lens kit

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with stubby gas lens kit

The issue is with the collets that came with a "Stuby gas lens kit" from Jody at Weldmonger for a 26 air cooled torch that gets used occasionally on out of the shop work. The collets just barely clamp the tungsten with excessive force on the back cap. I think this is because they are slightly short in length. I don't know who makes them for Weldmonger. The quality looks OK but they just don't work like a standard collet should. I bought the exact same kit for a friend at a much earlier date and it has the same problem. Thought that might have been an isolated case at that time. I called them but never got a return call. Left a message on their contact page but no answer as yet.
    I do have the correct insulator installed, only one of the two fits. The collet body is wrench snug into the torch. The problem is worse on my friends Lincoln 17 torch. I have read of others having the same problem and solving with wedge collets. For the amount of times I use the air cooled torch standard collets would work just fine. I am also looking to get away from using wedge collets.
    Anyone else have the same problem with that kit?
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem with stubby gas lens kit

I have never bought gas lens kits from Jody. I have always bought mine from HTP America and have not had these types of problems. FWIW.
    Miller Multimatic 255

3. Likes metalman21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have experience this. I checked the tungsten, and found it to be a few thousandths undersize in diameter. The collet grabbed securely on a proper diameter tungsten.
    Just something to check.

5. Likes metalman21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the CK wedge style collets might solve this issue for you.
    https://www.ckworldwide.com/products/wedge-collets
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I have never bought gas lens kits from Jody. I have always bought mine from HTP America and have not had these types of problems. FWIW.
    Didn't think to look there. Stubby Gas Lens Kit, Deluxe – HTP America - USA Weld would have a better kit (for me) and almost $20 less & comes with wedge collets.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToolFanGeoff View Post
    I have experience this. I checked the tungsten, and found it to be a few thousandths undersize in diameter. The collet grabbed securely on a proper diameter tungsten.
    Just something to check.
    Undersize on tungsten makes sense, I'll check that. But I never had that problem when I used standard collets. Kind of cutting it close with tolerances.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a piece of sandpaper and open up the slits on the collet (assuming it has a single slit and is not the "Y" triple slit type).
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

10. Likes metalman21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have opened the collet up like Oscar said. Another trick I have used is to shorten the outside threaded part on the cap to allow the collet seat to bottom deeper into the torch body.

12. Likes metalman21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To Weldmonger's credit they did get back to me. I was requested some photos and while I was at it I measured some of the parts with a caliper. I guess some tolerances add up. Nothing unreasonable but if the combinations are at odds fits can get loose.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arcflash View Post
    I have opened the collet up like Oscar said. Another trick I have used is to shorten the outside threaded part on the cap to allow the collet seat to bottom deeper into the torch body.
    Do you mean shorten the cap at the base? If yes that would work. I did find my medium cap thread is about .007" shorter than the stubby back cap. The deeper threaded stubby works, no slip. The 3/32 collet was also .002-.003" shorter overall so the two tolerances together made for some slip on the tungsten. The tungsten was only .0005" under 3/32",good enough.
    Must be something similar going on with the kit on the Lincoln17, didn't get to check that yet.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, whatever you can do to get the collet seat to go farther is legal.

Post Thanks / Like

It's to to bad that Jody is not following up with the customer service side of his business....nothing turns away a potential customer than a report of poor customer service!!... Hopefully he will see the errors of his ways and correct the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kjemison1966 View Post
    It's to to bad that Jody is not following up with the customer service side of his business....nothing turns away a potential customer than a report of poor customer service!!... Hopefully he will see the errors of his ways and correct the situation.
    Actually, they did get back to me via email and did work with me. The email showed up under "promotions - junk" so I didn't see it right away. They sent me whatever parts I requested and all works well. There are some small tolerances in the parts, you get some on the short end and may cause some issues.
    I would buy from them again, no problem.
    Ernie F.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist