+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Post your Dream Shop layout

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post your Dream Shop layout

I dont have any pictures of it but many years ago i got a call to work on a 13 yard dragline bucket up on a mountain. It was waaaaay out there. So they had this bucket settin there and it was snowin and blowin like crazy, they told me go ahead and start cuttin the old wear plates off and cuttin out the cracks we will bring the shop up here by tommorrow morning. Im thinkin what the hell...bring the shop up here? Well sure enough the next morning about 10 oclock the shop arrives bein drug up the road by 2 D10 dozers the shop is on skidsClosed on 3 sides and got a roof on it, there is 2 beams runnin along the sides with a trolley runnin on it and a 20ton chain fall hangin on it and tied off to one side. Comin up behind the "shop" is a flatbed with an old coal stove on it, towing a light plant, and behind that a 10 wheeler with a load of coal on it, they dragged the shop over top of the bucket, and said here ya go. When the bucket had to be rolled they would open up the back pull the shop off the bucket roll it how i needed it and pull it back into place. The stove was wedged down onto a platform that had a stainless steel reflector and a small fan to send the heat my way and a chimney that went out the wall. Back in those days many times i would work right through 4 or 5 days strait, Mrs K would come to visit wherever I was at on occasion to make sure I was still alive and bring supper or breakfast sometimes. They would bring me gas for the welder evry day. Some days I would make eggs bacon pancakes on top of the stove, even made a few deer steaks on it when I shot and skinned a deer up there. Brought a coffee pot from home for the important stuff (life stops without coffee) I brought along a small table and a chair or 2 and had me a good ol time workin on that bucket. My home away from home. They could put 30 yard buckets in there to work on if need be.

That company is long out of busness but I gotta tell ya that was one of the best setups I ever seen, They cut all that stuff up for scrap even the shovel that bucket went on the dozers and evrything else. Sad

Another place I worked at I rolled a 13 yard bucket upside down and made myself a shop in there one winter to work on hitches teeth anbd other stuff for buckets and whatnot. There was a racoon made himself a home in there in a corner that winter, he would keep me company till about 8 am then wander off and come back about lunchtime and eat a sanwhich my wife made for him. Then he would wander off again and be back the next morning.

I miss those days
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 12-25-2021 at 10:12 AM.

2. Likes whtbaron, Munkul, el bob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Popeye what awesome stories.

Perfect for a Christmas Day!

Best wishes to you and the missus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

4. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Merry Christmas to you and your famly as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Had to do a cleanup today. As you can see setting up or dismantling pallet racking by yourself is way easier and safer with a lift truck.

Of course it's way quicker with two men but I've pretty much run out of anyone that wants to work with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've learnt over the last 3 months that I really need to have someone help me assemble pallet racking. I've installed close to 40 box beams by myself, ranging from 4' right up to 12'... Really wish I had a forklift for it lol
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a scaffold and chain hoist if did not have a forklift.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
    I've learnt over the last 3 months that I really need to have someone help me assemble pallet racking. I've installed close to 40 box beams by myself, ranging from 4' right up to 12'... Really wish I had a forklift for it lol

8. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, whats the name of the sparkie forum you are on?

10. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Kevin, whats the name of the sparkie forum you are on?
    Electriciantalk.com

If you are an electrician feel free to join otherwise I get to ban you lol

If you do join, post in the new members forum and tag me (my username over there is Kevin)

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am on it but might have forgot my password. Electriciantalk.com
    You guys let me stay despite not knowing an olt from a vohm. Pretty much need a picture to do a 3 way and usually have my helper wire complicated circuits ha. I do know the difference in the bare and the white wire. My facination with it all is with the cord and plug system. Some about breaker and wire size including machines that utilize the breaker for internal short circuit protection.

Post Thanks / Like

I am on it but might have forgot my password. Electriciantalk.com You guys let me stay despite not knowing an olt from a vohm. Pretty much need a picture to do a 3 way and usually have my helper wire complicated circuits ha. I do know the difference in the bare and the white wire. My facination with it all is with the cord and plug system. Some about breaker and wire size including machines that utilize the breaker for internal short circuit protection.
    You should be able to reset your password. I might also be able to reach out to an admin and have them reset the password for you. But as I stated, if you're not in the electrical trade someone else will ban you if I don't lol

PM me here if you need any electrical help. I'm more than happy to help.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the biz,, also a member there.

15. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
    Electriciantalk.com

If you do join, post in the new members forum and tag me (my username over there is Kevin)

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk
    Can I join so I can show my flux capacitor?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

17. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy wire by the spool and reel,,, not by the foot,,, does that count? Also know the names of all the little parts when I sit at the counter.

19. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was in business I would buy at less 50 pound box's or coil.
    Today in retirement my welder only holds 10 pound rolls, but I do not weld all day now.

Dave

I buy wire by the spool and reel,,, not by the foot,,, does that count? Also know the names of all the little parts when I sit at the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crockett View Post
    I asked my realtor to find me a piece of land recently. Something still close to my local beaches, 5 to 10 acres, fully wooded, outside city limits, no HOA, both residential and industrial zoning.

This is what I have in mind. Shop with "living quarters". All metal and concrete building. No more termite loving wood framing and shingles that only last 10 years.

Attachment 1733973

Attachment 1733974

I'm a single story guy, but i'm digging that, big time. Love the metal and concrete, everyone knows my dislike of wood.

22. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A field shop on wheels

This what show how you could have a large hoist in field. Note what shown is a 11-foot hock height. Using a electric hoist and winch.
    The overhead rack can haul steel to job site too. A trail can also be use for large jobs.

The over head of shop is not need keeping overhead very low for greater profit.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by smithdoor; 02-16-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist