+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your Dream Shop layout

Post Thanks / Like

Post your Dream Shop layout

Please post your shop here

This my dream shop
    It is a portable shop no rent or mortgage

It a truck with most tools need. This after over 40 years.
    I can pull up to project and start to and have what i need at my fingertips.
    When go home all have is truck to park.

Note The overhead rack would have ply wood deck so could work from and keep most rain off the pickup too.
    Hydraulic press for forming and strengthening.
    A host to move parts around
    A lathe for turning
    A channel for work bench and a vise that can also be used for mag drill vise.
    Propane for per heating
    Cutting torch
    Welder
    Generator for power
    Air compress

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by smithdoor; 11-15-2021 at 09:52 PM.

2. Likes tapwelder, el bob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post your Dream Shop layout

What type work? Where would you setup?

Here is a portable table. These folk rebuilt a service station next to my shop. They knocked the work out, smooth like poetry.

4. Likes whtbaron, 12V71, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time that I see pix of @Lis2323’s shop, I think “ wow, what a dream stop”!
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

6. Likes psacustomcreations, whtbaron, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a point that I did that kind of thing. Everyone needs to be inspired but I dont care so much anymore and it would be a bit different if I was starting over. I would get a couple things earlier on and a couple that got past me that at this point dont matter much.
    If I won the lucky lotto the scrap man would get a deal and the tool man would starve because you would be able to hear my stuff hitting the floor. People offer to pay me to fix rusty cars, not gonna do it as some kind of retirement hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    There was a point that I did that kind of thing. Everyone needs to be inspired but I dont care so much anymore and it would be a bit different if I was starting over. I would get a couple things earlier on and a couple that got past me that at this point dont matter much.
    If I won the lucky lotto the scrap man would get a deal and the tool man would starve because you would be able to hear my stuff hitting the floor. People offer to pay me to fix rusty cars, not gonna do it as some kind of retirement hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

To improve my mobile shop. I would need storage for my bicycle. That is lacking since i stepped down to a covered pickup. I can get tools....gotta have the bike though. Never been a fan of racks, since what goes up must come down, so i prefer a trailer or delivery for long stuff and a work bench.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with pickups, still have my big truck but parked now and am in a full size van which I really like better than them all. When you absolutely positively got to heat and beat.

11. Likes _Weldman_, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great {truck}
    Have any photos of Van ?

Dave

I started with pickups, still have my big truck but parked now and am in a full size van which I really like better than them all. When you absolutely positively got to heat and beat.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 11-16-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have interior shots yet. I fix up some and pile a few general tools in. I add and subtract for some jobs. I just got in from a couple hr call now. This is way simple and have a second passenger seat in backwards from the front really slick. Its heavy duty, a lighter one would ride nicer but this thing really works. Load, pull, power not a problem and steers nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I put hitch, trailer lights, gonna ladder rack and add some insulation yet. I need to make 1 custom cabinet. I got most of the hand tool setup moved in, need a pic yet but its kind of slick and supper handy. The big truck had its place. It really was made for oil well pumping units and also had pipe fittings.
    All enclosed, 50 gallons of air tanks under the truck. I had a spot for a drill but never put one on it. When this was made and now have a crane on another truck.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-16-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What I like about the van again is its now my daily driver/tool truck and font be playing musical trucks and loading one thing to another, kind of got most of it under 1 general roof and makes it easier to head out the door.

Post Thanks / Like

What I like about the van again is its now my daily driver/tool truck and font be playing musical trucks and loading one thing to another, kind of got most of it under 1 general roof and makes it easier to head out the door.
    Yep. The passengers (short bench) see carries 2 bikes. I just stepped down from an e350 to f159. Cant complain about the gas mileage in the truck.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 11-16-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice van.
    Truck is great too

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I think most do not think of a truck or van as shop.
    But big advantages is overhead the { big leaky boat }. I had a nice big shop a money pit.

The overhead of truck is cost of license plate.

Dave

I put hitch, trailer lights, gonna ladder rack and add some insulation yet. I need to make 1 custom cabinet. I got most of the hand tool setup moved in, need a pic yet but its kind of slick and supper handy. The big truck had its place. It really was made for oil well pumping units and also had pipe fittings.
    All enclosed, 50 gallons of air tanks under the truck. I had a spot for a drill but never put one on it. When this was made and now have a crane on another truck.

19. Likes tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I leave my shop and nobody is there being productive, I am paying for a storage unit.

I have never been a fan of setting up onsite. I suspect it depends on what you do.

Ironically, I did a restoration/modification on a rail that I suspect was originally completely fabricated on site/in place, i know it was painted after install. Nicely done rail. I just cannot imagine spending that much time on client premises. The GC removed the rail and offer to allow me to work on site, ....no way. I cut it up for transport and I took the rail to my shop to work on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.
    When doing construction you are at the client premises. The good news after hour or two they would leave {happy time}.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    When I leave my shop and nobody is there being productive, I am paying for a storage unit.

I have never been a fan of setting up onsite. I suspect it depends on what you do.

Ironically, I did a restoration/modification on a rail that I suspect was originally completely fabricated on site/in place, i know it was painted after install. Nicely done rail. I just cannot imagine spending that much time on client premises. The GC removed the rail and offer to allow me to work on site, ....no way. I cut it up for transport and I took the rail to my shop to work on it.

Post Thanks / Like

My dream garage might look something like this.... my real garage? Well... it doesn't....
    Name:  zabinet-systems.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  74.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_7294 (1).jpg
Size:  112.1 KB
    Last edited by whtbaron; 11-21-2021 at 02:49 AM.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

If i could afford the pretty one i wouldnt need it and wouldnt bother. Only reason i do tjis is i need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great just need a little wax on the floor.
    Both shops looks great.
    The first looks like it just for show
    The bottom looks like a working shop.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    My dream garage might look something like this.... my real garage? Well... it doesn't....
    Name:  zabinet-systems.jpg
Size:  74.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I seen a lot of hangars that had wax white or gray floors.
    The A&E mechanic said it take twice as long to do work as they could not drop any oil and put tools down. But pay was good.

If i could afford the pretty one i wouldnt need it and wouldnt bother. Only reason i do tjis is i need to.
    I agree with tapwelder never leave employees along. Nothing gets done or it days to fix what the employees did due.
    More leaks in the boat 🚢. After a wild the profit drops and no fun.

I dream of just myself or maybe a helper doing the jobs.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Even this would have been a dream garage for me. We never had our equipment under cover.

Anything with a roof was used for crop storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

27. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I built for equipment and junk to clear my shop. I keep shop stripped unless i need it or working on it. I have another couple buildings for misc too good to toss but dont need to work around it.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-21-2021 at 11:51 AM.

29. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great
    I like the white grass too.

Dave

I built for equipment and junk to clear my shop. I keep shop stripped unless i need it or working on it. I have another couple buildings for misc too good to toss but dont need to work around it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Even this would have been a dream garage for me. We never had our equipment under cover.

Anything with a roof was used for crop storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We started out building more sheds for grain storage, the more we built the less we used it for grain and ended up expanding the grain bins as well. It made a huge difference on bearings and tires. When we had the mix mill outside ice and snow in the bottom of the hopper just destroyed it... it was a nightmare to make feed for the pigs in the winter. I try to keep everything but the drills, cultivators, deep tillers and sprayers inside now, but it's taken me 40 yrs to get here. The 2 sheds I'm using for dead storage now just have gravel floors that wasn't really handy for repair work before I turned the hog barn into a heated shop.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

32. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most life doing welding was outside.
    The first start welding was after I was retired. The machine shop was in a building only.

Most do not think of the forty years it took to get that point.

Dave

FYI I put a lot farm buildings in life.
    Most here do not think of California and ag. I live in number one county for ag in America

We started out building more sheds for grain storage, the more we built the less we used it for grain and ended up expanding the grain bins as well. It made a huge difference on bearings and tires. When we had the mix mill outside ice and snow in the bottom of the hopper just destroyed it... it was a nightmare to make feed for the pigs in the winter. I try to keep everything but the drills, cultivators, deep tillers and sprayers inside now, but it's taken me 40 yrs to get here. The 2 sheds I'm using for dead storage now just have gravel floors that wasn't really handy for repair work before I turned the hog barn into a heated shop.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 11-21-2021 at 12:47 PM.

34. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist