+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Son's New Shop

Post Thanks / Like

Son's New Shop

My son and his wife bout 40 acres about 30 miles from me 2 years ago. He is retired and she is retiring the end of this year. I am helping him build a 30x60x12 shop. Hope to be putting on roofing tin in a week. His 1st construction. Name:  IMG_0740[1].jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  132.5 KBName:  IMG_0741[1].jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  163.7 KB
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Son's New Shop

Wood shop, welding shop, automotive shop or just little of everything?

3. Likes John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    Wood shop, welding shop, automotive shop or just little of everything?
    He does not have a welder or machining equipment. Only wood equipment, so probably more of a inside storage I expect. He wants a welder in the future. 10' at one end will be a small living quarters until they get a house built. There will be 12x10 and a 10x10 garage doors also.
    Last edited by milomilo; 09-07-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

5. Likes _Weldman_, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
    He does not have a welder or machining equipment. Only wood equipment, so probably more of a inside storage I expect. He wants a welder in the future. 10' at one end will be a small living quarters until they get a house built. There will be 12x10 and a 10x10 garage doors also.
    Better than living in or buying a RV to live in while building a house, save money for the house. Only reason I am in a camper that will go into my shop after it’s built while I build a house is can’t beat $500 for a solid one piece fiberglass truck camper from the 60’s that I rebuilt for future use. Bet that had to been a expensive build with what the lumber prices were unless he got materials before they went up.

7. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If is weld shop I would put sheet metal about 4 foot up from floor to stop fires.

Dave

My son and his wife bout 40 acres about 30 miles from me 2 years ago. He is retired and she is retiring the end of this year. I am helping him build a 30x60x12 shop. Hope to be putting on roofing tin in a week. His 1st construction. Name:  IMG_0740[1].jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  132.5 KBName:  IMG_0741[1].jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  163.7 KB

9. Likes 12345678910, John Baptist, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He bought an older 26' RV last year that he is staying in while we are building his shop. His wife is retiring end of this year and their house starts in March next year. She is working in San Diego until she retires. She will be here permanently about April. She visits for a week at a time about 3 times a year. He bought a lot of the lumber just before the prices went sky high. I did all the secondary wiring to a temporary panel last spring so he could stay in his camper and to have power for tools to build the shop. The tin on the roof is just to get through the winter, the maybe the tin prices will drop and then the walls will be covered with tin. He bought several windows and doors at garages sales last spring for the shop. Used but plenty good for the shop.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

11. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He likely will not do any welding but twice a year, after I teach him, and probably do it outside anyway.
    Last edited by milomilo; 09-07-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

13. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nice looking shop
    Lincwelder 180As
    Communists have the highest body count in history and yet they are all over TV and politics.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Just wishing it was going faster. About once a week we get some help from neighbors. Wish we had a 4 man crew every day. Son ordered roofing tin today.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

16. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He bought an older 26' RV last year that he is staying in while we are building his shop. His wife is retiring end of this year and their house starts in March next year. She is working in San Diego until she retires. She will be here permanently about April. She visits for a week at a time about 3 times a year. He bought a lot of the lumber just before the prices went sky high. I did all the secondary wiring to a temporary panel last spring so he could stay in his camper and to have power for tools to build the shop. The tin on the roof is just to get through the winter, the maybe the tin prices will drop and then the walls will be covered with tin. He bought several windows and doors at garages sales last spring for the shop. Used but plenty good for the shop.
    At least you got all materials before all prices went up, that’s luck right there. Sounds like you are trying to dry it in for the winter, same here and if I can push mine further on build I will. Sounds like your son has good neighbors, only neighbors around here only know how to do is drink beer, ask help for everything and have no skill set nor physical attributes to do anything except possibly get hurt. Also great you are helping him, I just got 3 people me myself and I. What are you insulating the walls with for the part for him to live in plain fiberglass battens? Looks like you can shove up to R21 in those walls.

Post Thanks / Like

That's going to be nice.

I shoulda built a shop 25yrs ago when things were cheap. I'm regretting it big time nowdays.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep... the Waldo shop went up in the 70's for somewhere around $7k (not insulated) and I just put $14k into a door and tin. My 60x40 dead storage pole structure went up in 2003 for $24k (all Cdn $). A neighbor built a bio-tech at the same time for $14k but it's already gone flat once for snow load. The last quote I got to double it's size was 10 yrs ago and it was over $40k then. I put the 3 walled insulated 30x40x14 up ten years ago $14k and I've never regretted it.... can't imagine the cost of replacing all those structures today but I'd guess approaching $180 k.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    At least you got all materials before all prices went up, that’s luck right there. Sounds like you are trying to dry it in for the winter, same here and if I can push mine further on build I will. Sounds like your son has good neighbors, only neighbors around here only know how to do is drink beer, ask help for everything and have no skill set nor physical attributes to do anything except possibly get hurt. Also great you are helping him, I just got 3 people me myself and I. What are you insulating the walls with for the part for him to live in plain fiberglass battens? Looks like you can shove up to R21 in those walls.
    2x6 walls so R19 in his apartment and in his shop too. R30 in the ceilings. Always nice to have good neighbors for sure. He has a carpenter that parks his tiny house over at one end of his property in trade for 4 hours work on his shop every Saturday.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

South wall has all the OSB on now. Got the temporary power moved inside the shop. All reconnected and everything was good. Saturday the north half of the roof will get OSB.Name:  IMG_0746[1].jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  154.8 KBName:  IMG_0749[1].jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  164.6 KB
    Chris
    Auction Addict

23. Likes farmersammm, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got 90% of the OSB on the north side of the roof done this morning. No pics of today's work. Hope to finish the roof sheathing in the next days or two. Finished pics then.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

25. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what you are complaining about. My grandson asked me to help with his new machine shop and we finished it in one night. Yes, the demands do increase as they grow older...
    Name:  IMG_6981.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  102.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_6999.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  84.4 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

27. Likes wb4rt, _Weldman_, farmersammm, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At my age, I would prefer to be in my wood shop doing that type of work too.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

29. Likes _Weldman_, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roof OSB is all on. Need to do some light trimming on the gable ends to square it up. Then install roofing under lament. Roofing tin and gable trim should be coming this week I hope. After that exterior walls OSB, doors and windows.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Roof OSB is all on. Need to do some light trimming on the gable ends to square it up. Then install roofing under lament. Roofing tin and gable trim should be coming this week I hope. After that exterior walls OSB, doors and windows.
    Taking shape and looking great

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Squared up the roof sheathing today within a 1/4". Did one thin cut only on one side of the south side. Now it is ready for the tin underlayment. Tin and trim is supposed to be ready Tuesday. Did have to caulk a few seams on the roof OSB. I never do but he wanted to do it so we did it.

Worked on cutting short studs that go under the scissor trusses to nail the OSB to. Each was a different length. NOW he says the scissor trusses are a pain in the ***. Wish he would have taken my advise and used standard trusses in the beginning.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

34. Likes _Weldman_, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Squared up the roof sheathing today within a 1/4". Did one thin cut only on one side of the south side. Now it is ready for the tin underlayment. Tin and trim is supposed to be ready Tuesday. Did have to caulk a few seams on the roof OSB. I never do but he wanted to do it so we did it.

Worked on cutting short studs that go under the scissor trusses to nail the OSB to. Each was a different length. NOW he says the scissor trusses are a pain in the ***. Wish he would have taken my advise and used standard trusses in the beginning.

Supposed to help with energy efficiency and if a roof is torn off during a storm helps stop water infiltration, some use sealant tape.

36. Likes milomilo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted a vaulted ceiling in the living room of the house when we built it in 81 so some of the rafters were half scissor and half standard truss... and yes, they were a pain during construction and finishing. Can't say I've had any problems with them since though...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

38. Likes _Weldman_, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I wanted a vaulted ceiling in the living room of the house when we built it in 81 so some of the rafters were half scissor and half standard truss... and yes, they were a pain during construction and finishing. Can't say I've had any problems with them since though...
    We got the top of the trusses square before putting on the roof OSB. Now that that step is done the bottom cord is bowed so we will have to deal with that to get it unbowed before we put on the exterior OSB on the gable end walls and again likely when we do the ceiling.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

40. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That shop is built super strong! I really like the cross bracing on the wall studs. Roof looks sturdy too! He should be proud of it when finished.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist