+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miller Bobcat 225G Plus as house generator

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Bobcat 225G Plus as house generator

My late father-in-law acquired a used Miller Bobcat 225 G Plus Welder around 15 years ago. The Hobbs meter broke at 93 hours, the condition is acceptable, and the aluminum fins on the cylinders look like they've been outdoors for years. I changed the oil, spark plugs and wires, and it fired right up.

My mother-in-law would like to use it as a stand-by generator for the house and wants to convert it to natural gas.

Here's my question: Can I assume the output power is clean enough for house use, or should I be aware of a generator issue once _____ wears out?
    And is there a gotcha or tip I should know before using the Bobcat as a house generator?

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller Bobcat 225G Plus as house generator

I have a 225G, not plus, that has been used as a house generator. Max output is 8000 watts so you have to me careful of things you can run at the same time. I know nothing about converting to NG. You have to set the output to AC and set the dials to max.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Gasoline contains an enormous amount of energy - but it isn't as clean as natural gas or as cheap (where she lives). A 7.5K Firman generator available at Costco has a three-way fuel option and states three different power outputs.
    Gasoline = 7500 watts
    Propane = 6750 watts
    Nat Gas = 5500 watts

The 2 benefits of natural gas: The oil stays clean for really long time, and the if the gas supply isn't interrupted, the tank never needs to be refilled.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a 12 KW Kohler generator installed with a transfer switch for $6,500 last year. It is enough to keep maybe 80% of our house running. Our electric dryer didn't make the cut, but we already use a drying rack instead much of the time.

Obviously we haven't lost power for an extended period since we got it. The piece of mind it has provided for our situation has made it worth it for me. I had been debating just getting a portable generator to keep on hand, but I'm satisfied with our choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GarageGuy View Post
    Gasoline contains an enormous amount of energy - but it isn't as clean as natural gas or as cheap (where she lives). A 7.5K Firman generator available at Costco has a three-way fuel option and states three different power outputs.
    Gasoline = 7500 watts
    Propane = 6750 watts
    Nat Gas = 5500 watts

The 2 benefits of natural gas: The oil stays clean for really long time, and the if the gas supply isn't interrupted, the tank never needs to be refilled.
    Do you have any problems with the Firman generator? I have read many controversial opinions about it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist