Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generator for stick welding

Post Thanks / Like

Generator for stick welding

A buddy of mine needs washers welded on some feet of shooting barricades and my question is can I run my ESAb 180i at around 80 to 110 amps off of a 4500 staring watt 3600 running watt generator just for some small tack type of welds without blowing the fuses and having a rough time? It would be ran on the 110 plug adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Generator for stick welding

Should be ok. I would use 3/32" ,6011. Should be able to run those at 60 amps.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck
    A wire type would work

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon6635 View Post
    A buddy of mine needs washers welded on some feet of shooting barricades and my question is can I run my ESAb 180i at around 80 to 110 amps off of a 4500 staring watt 3600 running watt generator just for some small tack type of welds without blowing the fuses and having a rough time? It would be ran on the 110 plug adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Small inexpensive generators are typically overrated. They are at their best powering incandescent loads. Overloads can damage internals & heat is the enemy.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    For most stick welding you needs at less 10,000 watts running.
    It surprising to most to find how must power stick needs to start a welding.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Small inexpensive generators are typically overrated. They are at their best powering incandescent loads. Overloads can damage internals & heat is the enemy.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a modern welder, try it.

Post Thanks / Like

You should just be able to scrape by running a 1/8th rod on a generator that size, but it will be just depending on how it handles the spike at the short circuit at the start of welding and how efficient your machine is, a 3/32 will run no problems

Post Thanks / Like

The 70's called, they want their welders back. I will say this,,, that it is different trying to get around the power requirements of new machines. Half the worlds engine drives were used running electrodes can now be done with 120V. While guys do use dryers outlet, if a meter is put to it a DC buzzer runs near 30A @ 240 to put out 95, now under 20 at 120 and not the tranny surge. I am not sure about surge on starts, maybe you know the math?
    Scott V has run alot of these smaller machines small gen set and could probably help with our speculation. I assume the nature of the work is similar, he didnt mention hull work on carriers with them but a bud said its now the tool in the nuke replacing a machine we had 4/0 lead to a resistor whixh cost more, weighs more by times compared to a small inverter.
    I didnt get a chance to ask what power they using but at that pace bet a lot or some of it is from 30A/120 with a twist lok on it.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-17-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Should be ok. I would use 3/32" ,6011. Should be able to run those at 60 amps.
    This is well worth noting. 6013 gets a lot of press for sheet and light work but lots of guys really do it regular and the old timers as well as some sheet metal companies use 6011 due to low current. Might as well use 18 as 13 really, one less thing to carry around. I bought a box of 3/32 and used half a dozen over last 15 yrs, I was gonna be a whiz with them but fell back in to the 1/8 I use forever. On occasion, way faster and bridge more gap and fill with wider rod.

Post Thanks / Like

The spec sheet for your welder suggests 7Kw for a generator. The spec sheet also lists a max amp draw of 29 at 230V and that works out to 7Kw, so it fits. Low amperage with smaller sticks you might be able to get by with the generator you have.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Buddy of mine is running a Lincoln AC 225 off of an 8000 watt generator doing oil field drill stem welds for for corral fencing, I think hes running 3/32 6013 or 7018 AC, probably around 90 - 100 amps.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon6635 View Post
    I think you will be good with that Easb running on the lower end for sure..I would think this Esab should be one of the best around, just because These little boxes keep getting better ,and better.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200/ Lincoln feeders
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

I am able to run at 125 amps max without too many problems My 3500 watt genny is at 4000ft too, 120 amps, and zero faults. This setup will also run flux-core to 160 amps without issues Some of these newer inverters in gennys, and welders make a great combo. The Blue Demon welder has a upgraded gun for flux only. The stock gun is a valve in handle cheapie, and just sucked.The 120 volt stick part will top out at 135 amps.. It will hold on a 20 amp line for a bit, I was welding a bit at 125 amps, and it did not snap on shore power. The mig will output way over 180 amps easy but you are getting in the 35/ 36 amp draw..I don't run it like that but having extra guts is super cool in a 120 volt machine $239.00 for a really good power supply. Impressed me anyway..It will run 8 inch spools too, Although really not best without some work on the spools and or machine.. I have a 8 inch roll of Esab Coreshield 15 in it now. Powerful feed motor in the little guy, but better suited to 4 inch spools 17 pounds is nice, and I have a 9 ft homemade Tweco mini- gun on it now.. The Synergic works great with the self-shielded wire..
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

How much the little champ cost? I assume it doesn't have 120/240?
    For the heavy duty crowd a full size machine is needed but for utility etc I would have a hard time spending for one anymore and the operation cost is so cheap with small unit. Bet a gallon goes a long way?
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-27-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I bought a larger version of that welder last year. The 7000 running/8250 starting watt version. It cost me $1100. Its pretty quiet compared to my old Briggs & Stratton, and I love it. Runs my deep well pump very well, which my 13,000 watt B&S struggled with. The one I bought has 120/240v output.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

For the heavy duty crowd a full size machine is needed but for utility etc I would have a hard time spending for one anymore and the operation cost is so cheap with small unit. Bet a gallon goes a long way?
    This is a 120 volt machine only.. Low $500/600 now on amazon 80 pounds makes it light enough/small enough to fit in my import car. I have a 6000 watt 120/240 MQ japan for my well pump

One thing, you never know what welder works best with what generator. All over the map...My INE 1500 will not even turn on when running off the MQ, but works fine on my Fiends B&S. Little stick machines like my Thermal-arc 85s will not run on the champion, but will off of the MQ .A Thermal 95s will do fine on the Champion, like the 15c plasma. Start stick amps can be super high, and some stick machines just need more A$$. PFC can help these units work better on smaller 120 volt units.. Thermal 161, Esab/etc...

Louie's generator would be perfect for my INE 1500/ 240 volt only machine..Great stick machine. You could not make a 6010 1/8 go out if you tried..
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-27-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Another example you never know ,my little Honda Cyclone runs the Century flux core amazing but has fits with the Klutch 110 stick or Klutch mig

Name:  e.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  110.1 KB
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    ESAB powercut 650
    Esab 220i tig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    INE SKYLINE 1500
    Klutch 140i

MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup
    What size is the generator?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jim cafarelli View Post
    Another example you never know ,my little Honda Cyclone runs the Century flux core amazing but has fits with the Klutch 110 stick or Klutch mig

Name:  e.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  110.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Honda is a EB-3000..Cycloconverter I ran few 120 volt machines off the Honda EU-3000is true inverters, and have been underwhelmed at their welding machine performance.Great RV genny.

Same Klutch 140si as Jims ,will run and a standard $300 Champion 3500 perfect..
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-27-2021 at 06:14 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

I really think the economy is revolutionary. The cheapest dc Weldanpower was about 1800 or so in 84 ish. Its quite a machine though, rated 6k watt and start/run 5 hp motor without a blink. Burns 5/32 lo hy all day. But lots/most utility can be done 1/8 and looks like a guy could get in to engine drive forwell under 800 using new stuff. Not sure how long it would last but it really takes a lot of work for Joe Hometime to put 50 welding hours on a portable. .
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-27-2021 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All the equipment not much past 100# can run from line, fuel use low, lets a guy use a light truck. A guy can carry the welder and hand load a genset if he has to.
    Wouldnt be a gut wrenching to have something to do a little work with, couple events or projects and its paid for. Small hobby kind of money.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-27-2021 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All the equipment not much past 100# can run from line, fuel use low, lets a guy use a light truck. A guy can carry the welder and hand load a genset if he has to.
    Wouldnt be a gut wrenching to have something to do a little work with, couple events or projects and its paid for. Small hobby kind of money.
    Fence type work, and it's ideal with a little feeder too..Extra money type stuff.. The little plasma outputs about 17 amps with very little draw.. That gets you into .250 pretty easy, and no compressor load to run.. The little flux feeders with .030 can do a surprisingly good job on aluminum exhaust tubing.. Bit of automotive applications too These little feeders have some real guts to them. Most of them can start and run fine on low idle with a inverter genny. Keeps the noise way down, and fuel use low.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

The little plasmas used to be light in the loafers but 1/4 is pretty respectable and useful. It would be good to plug in the wall and easier that carting around a torch. My trucks were so full I never carried wire or plasma but really got by without but the world is getting so much lighter. You talking about a Klutch Plas? How much $ was it?
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-28-2021 at 09:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the most interesting and really most advance in welding. High end has always worked, no big deal if a guy tosses enough at it, the low was too low to work well but that has changed. Evenyone fusses about a Snapon wrench,,, well it should be pretty and work at 40$ but whats impressive is some now pretty and work well at 2.
    If I was starting over would be inclined to go down a different or slightly different road today. a 50$ battery drill ghas now ideled my 400$ ones most of the time. When I got my first ones a 50$ tool was useless. Now I roof whole side of a building on one charge, all afternoon.
    As I mention just bought a brand saw having regrets about, gotta deal with a fugin dealer with attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

The klutch plasma volt 120 was similar amps and capability,but needed a compressor . With this size generator , just not enough to pull it off well.. The 15c is a 2019 Thermal Dynamics.E-bay find like new $371 Pretty good find.. The little cheap 120 volt plasma setup with decent consumables can work well with a decent small compressor, and 6000 watt genny.. It outputs a real 30 amps, and gets you solid into 3/8 clean cut.. I think the Northern Tool Ironton plasma is a good value too.. Really good power/120/240 volt.. Picked one up new in box for $220 on ebay.. Pulling around $600 at NT. I use good consumables from Italy, and it really the way to get quality cuts out of that machine. Sold it for the profit ,and not because I did not think it was a good unit.

BTW the klutch is not made anymore in the 120 volt only version . A bit over $300 at the time. Went to another friend with the first 140 klutch mig uint.. Made be the same company. Perfect for his auto body stuff.. Like Jim says, the best 120 volt mig he has used.. We all have had many Lincoln's, and Millers too..Powerful, and excellent arc. Just perfect really..

I have one 3 phase 60 amp Thermal on my table, and one 240/ 35 amp plasma with built in Compressor. Then the 15c.. both made in Korea. I can run the 35c at 30 amps on the MQ 6000. Not much different then the cheap china stuff. I traded my $92 amazon plasma to my friend, and it been a really good unit.. Just insane how good these little units can be with some understanding of consumables. Having all the Esab's with that torch gets you understanding what it takes.. Really the China machine kicks the 120 volt Esab I had in output, and cost to run/buy..

The China machines have really been good if you know which one to buy. Also can be a bit of a kit too. I prefer owning, and using high Quality 240 volt machines but the 120 volt cheapo machine are pretty good to kick around, and transport anywhere. The Blue Demon line from Amazon has been a good value..The last one with a gun change to the Tweco mini gun(9 ft total after mods) has made it a fantastic 120 volt Self-Sheilded flux, and stick unit . Synergic flux works very simple, and correct..It's a kit for sure, but the power supply is really good. Powerful little feeder motor too.. I will sell off two China machines (Good quality Thermal-arc stick unit)and be down to one, because of how well it works..
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-28-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i