+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jib crane

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jib crane

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    For sure. They work good on the drill press, mill, lathe or whatever for removing chips. Oh yeah and keep one handy when using a carbide Burr on a die grinder, you will thank me later.
    A magnetic wand placed nearby helps also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

2. Likes idacal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20211210_181403264.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  66.6 KB Sunburst yellow from Rust-Oleum. Yellow is probably one of the worst covering colors there is. My theory on painting with a brush is let the drips hit the floor and remove them later with a ice scraper or shovel. One step closer anyways.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

4. Likes idacal, Mikel_24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20211228_183711310.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  113.9 KB Here it is getting the hinge assembled.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

6. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20211229_183812994.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  71.7 KB. Here it's getting installed. Used the hoists on the upper beam to raise it until I ran out of headroom. Now it's ratchet straps to raise it the last bit. I'll have to cut the U bolts down some as the place that bent them up used the shortest stock they had on hand, plenty of threaded length though.

Post Thanks / Like

That jib crane will be excellent for general work
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    That jib crane will be excellent for general work
    It should work good within the capacity of the 880 lb capacity hoist. I think I'll need to add rotation stops so it won't hit the walls. Need to make the trolley mount for the hoist and should be ready for use. As it is it will clear the long columns on the Clausing drill presses.

10. Likes TraditionalToolworks, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My theory on painting with a brush is let the drips hit the floor and remove them later with a ice scraper or shovel.
    I usually throw down old pieces of cardboard or a roll of poly. You know you're never going to actually clean those off... and they will last forever...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I usually throw down old pieces of cardboard or a roll of poly. You know you're never going to actually clean those off... and they will last forever...
    Doesn't bother me too much. What comes off easy is a bonus, the rest will wear off over time.

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20220106_192611133.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  103.5 KB Drilling holes for 1628 bearings for the trolley which will bolt directly to the harbor freight 880 lb electric hoist. Need to pick up some different m-10 bolts for bolting the angle iron pieces to the hoist.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20220107_182906203.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  54.6 KB Not a whole lot to see, 2.5x 2.5 x1/4" angle drilled to mount to hoist and hold the bearings. Wait for paint to cure and then assembly.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20220602_203251426.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  119.6 KB Got the drill press back in place. Jib crane has been up for a while and works good. No wanting to rotate on its own,yet swivels really easy and smooth. I couldn't detect any deflection when picking up about a 700 lb item.

Post Thanks / Like

That jib crane is priceless.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    That jib crane is priceless.
    Fortunately I was able to build it on a pretty low budget. Other than the hoist and bearings for the trolley I have very little material cost in it. Well worth it if saves 1 nut busting lifting experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really handy.Good job. How long is the remote control cable on that HF hoist? I see lots of them on Amazon with a 39 foot lift cable and a 4 foot long remote cable. Gotta learn to use stilts I guess.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20220602_203251426.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  119.6 KB Got the drill press back in place. Jib crane has been up for a while and works good. No wanting to rotate on its own,yet swivels really easy and smooth. I couldn't detect any deflection when picking up about a 700 lb item.
    Been a couple years since I've had to do beam deflection calculations, but I designed a small luffing jib crane (never built it). 1,500lb capacity at the end of the beam when it's horizontal. I'd have to check the CAD file, but I think the beam was 3X3-1/2" with a .375" wall thickness. Even without a truss on top, deflection was minimal. An I beam like that with a truss aughta have NO problem with a 700 pound load.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Looks really handy.Good job. How long is the remote control cable on that HF hoist? I see lots of them on Amazon with a 39 foot lift cable and a 4 foot long remote cable. Gotta learn to use stilts I guess.
    Nah, you're just using it wrong. Hook the cable to the crane, hook the cable hoist to what you want to lift, then you ride on the load while you're lifting it. OBVIOUSLY.

Seriously, though, I imagine they just leave the control lead short to cut cost. I mean, 25 feet of GOOD wire for the pendant would double the cost of a lot of the smaller import hoists

Easy enough to buy the right wire. The good stuff has a small wire rope incorporated into it to provide strain relieve so you aren't pulling on the conductors if you drag the hoist around by the remote.

Here's an example: Standard Electrical Wire, with Strain Relief, Eight 16-Gauge Wires

https://www.mcmaster.com/7741K11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I would say 6-7' long. In my application it's too long but I certainly could see it being an issue. Lots of cable on this 880 lb HF hoist but they are rated with a snatch block to get that capacity.

23. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say 6-7' long. In my application it's too long but I certainly could see it being an issue. Lots of cable on this 880 lb HF hoist but they are rated with a snatch block to get that capacity.
    Right. They do rate it with a block, but I believe they also pull all of the cable off the drum and rate it from the smallest diameter (if that makes any sense). Pull/lift capacity diminishes as you add more wraps to the winch drum.

I've heard different numbers regarding how many wraps you're supposed to leave on a winch drum. I've heard one full layer (and that's what I generally do). I just Googled it and found "8 wraps minimum". I guess it depends on the type of wire rope (or synthetic rope for that matter), drum size, wire size, etc. I know winches are for pulling and hoist are for lifting... but look at sailboats. Capstan winches for lifting.

25. Likes Mikel_24 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist