Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    I want to be able to run 1/4 carbon rods, I've just scored a great deal on a lincoln 270SX power source which should be enough to run a 1/4 rod (I normally run them at 250 amps)

    but how many CFM do I need? I've done a fair bit of carbon arc but always on shop air with some beast compressor running it in the background.

    I have two real options, either a 15 CFM diesel compressor, or a 32 CFM diesel, I would need to spend a few grand having my vehicles suspension upgraded to carry the bigger compressor though so I'm hoping I can get away with the smaller one even if it isnt ideal.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    6,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    The 15CFM compressor will be brought to it's knees in just a couple of minutes (meaning the sustainable air pressure will fall below 80psi). You could extend the time if you run a pilot valve and the compressor is running all the time. Most carbon arc torches I've looked up need 25 CFM+.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  3. Likes And256 liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    I have ran it from 3, will run from 5 but i keep my finger on the button and manage the air.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    The 15CFM compressor will be brought to it's knees in just a couple of minutes (meaning the sustainable air pressure will fall below 80psi). You could extend the time if you run a pilot valve and the compressor is running all the time. Most carbon arc torches I've looked up need 25 CFM+.
    is 80 PSI really that bad, I know that when running larger rods like a 3/8th you need your 100+ psi, but i'm sure I generally run at about 60 PSI on the smaller rods, if it would be able to keep up to 80 PSI, even if it means i have to keep on top of closing the air valve whenever i'm not actually gouging should that be alright?

    Keep in mind, i'm not trying to set up a beast 600 amp setup running 3/8 carbon rods, I'll be running 1/4 inch rods max, but probably 3/16th rods more likely, and this will be field work where the other option is a grinder hogging out material for crack repairs and such (as WPS doesn't allow for oxy fuel gouging due to heat input, but carbon arc is way cheaper than oxy fuel anyway)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    6,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    I want to be able to run 1/4 carbon rods, I've just scored a great deal on a lincoln 270SX power source which should be enough to run a 1/4 rod (I normally run them at 250 amps)

    but how many CFM do I need? I've done a fair bit of carbon arc but always on shop air with some beast compressor running it in the background.

    I have two real options, either a 15 CFM diesel compressor, or a 32 CFM diesel, I would need to spend a few grand having my vehicles suspension upgraded to carry the bigger compressor though so I'm hoping I can get away with the smaller one even if it isnt ideal.
    A lot depends on which gouger you have. An arcair 4000 will require lots of air, but for the most part it's an intermittent use. I've seen previously on this forum where some dudes restricted some of the orfices and it worked well. I would try the smaller and see if it will get you by. I've ran my 4000 on a 25 or so cfm unit and it was fine for short periods with 1/4" carbons.

  7. Likes 12V71, ttoks liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    6,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    It all depends just how long you expect to run it continuously. Quick short bursts will help the compressor/tank keep up with demand for sure. If you limit it to 60psi and give the system a chance to catch up, then the 15 CFM compressor should be up to the task I think.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  9. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    6,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Myself, I run 1/4" at 300-325 amps. I use 3/8"x5/32" flat carbons as well at similar amps.

  11. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    4,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    I used 3hp 80 psi compressor
    But drawback was grass and fire 🔥.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    I want to be able to run 1/4 carbon rods, I've just scored a great deal on a lincoln 270SX power source which should be enough to run a 1/4 rod (I normally run them at 250 amps)

    but how many CFM do I need? I've done a fair bit of carbon arc but always on shop air with some beast compressor running it in the background.

    I have two real options, either a 15 CFM diesel compressor, or a 32 CFM diesel, I would need to spend a few grand having my vehicles suspension upgraded to carry the bigger compressor though so I'm hoping I can get away with the smaller one even if it isnt ideal.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    A lot depends on which gouger you have. An arcair 4000 will require lots of air, but for the most part it's an intermittent use. I've seen previously on this forum where some dudes restricted some of the orfices and it worked well. I would try the smaller and see if it will get you by. I've ran my 4000 on a 25 or so cfm unit and it was fine for short periods with 1/4" carbons.
    right now I don't have a gouging handpiece, so I guess that is a question as well, I will be buying one, so if I can get one that's more efficient in how it uses the air that might help.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    It all depends just how long you expect to run it continuously. Quick short bursts will help the compressor/tank keep up with demand for sure. If you limit it to 60psi and give the system a chance to catch up, then the 15 CFM compressor should be up to the task I think.
    This is field repair, my niche at the moment is getting thing going on site in the field without having to freight it back to the home workshop, so if I have to wait a bit for the compressor that isn't a huge deal as I charge hourly for this sort of work anyway.

    My problem is that so far I've been limited since I'm repairing equipment to the manufacture specified procedures which don't allow oxy gouging due to heat input issues, so I've been spending hours hanging off of a 9 inch grinder instead, they will allow carbon arc for hogging out material though, so I want to get a small carbon arc setup going, it just has to be faster then grinding out a 3 inch thick wheel loader arm with a grinder while still fitting on my vehicle.

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    6,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    right now I don't have a gouging handpiece, so I guess that is a question as well, I will be buying one, so if I can get one that's more efficient in how it uses the air that might help.
    I bought an amazon cheapie that has 3-holes instead of 4, but I found that while it required less airflow, it was not directed straight/parallel to the carbon. At 6-7" of length on the carbon, the center of the air jetstream was off by maybe 1cm to the side. I returned it and got a genuine ArcAir CSK4000 for only a few dollars more and it works heaps better; the air jetstream is right on the money, it just consumes more air.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  16. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    6,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    right now I don't have a gouging handpiece, so I guess that is a question as well, I will be buying one, so if I can get one that's more efficient in how it uses the air that might help.
    I would go with a k2000. It is good for 1/8-1/4" carbons and 3/8" flat. I believe they call for 8 or so cfm at 40 psi, but in reality you probably want 80 psi or so.

  17. Likes ttoks, 12V71, MinnesotaDave liked this post
  18. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    They stopped making the K 2000 a few years ago. Unless you can find a used one.

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    6,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    They stopped making the K 2000 a few years ago. Unless you can find a used one.
    It's still listed on arcairs site.

  20. #15
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Landrum, SC
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    I run an arcair4000 7' cable, use 3/16 - 4/16 - 5/16 carbons. I have a 14hp (gas) 30gal tank, Ingersoll Rand 24cfm @175psi. My reel hose and compressor plumbing is ALL 1/2"id, with various 3/8" whips.
    Using 80psi (sorta dry air) I don't have any problems. I've gouged for hours (IR 1.7gal fuel tank will last 4-5 hours). Even while playing spit the carbon stub in the bucket. lol
    Last edited by Freebirdwelds; 11-21-2021 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Speeling
    Lincoln 330 MPX
    Modified Tombstone
    Lincoln LN-25X-TVT
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Ton of Torches OFC-A / OFG-A
    SMAW FCAW GMAW
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    #Freebird Welds

  21. Likes ttoks liked this post
  22. #16
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Landrum, SC
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post

    I have two real options, either a 15 CFM diesel compressor, or a 32 CFM diesel, I would need to spend a few grand having my vehicles suspension upgraded to carry the bigger compressor though so I'm hoping I can get away with the smaller one even if it isnt ideal.
    What PSI at those listed CFM's?
    Lincoln 330 MPX
    Modified Tombstone
    Lincoln LN-25X-TVT
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Ton of Torches OFC-A / OFG-A
    SMAW FCAW GMAW
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    #Freebird Welds

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Say ttoks, have you heard of exothermic torches? This one uses a 12 volt battery and oxygen. I know an iron worker that was telling me about it recently. He said they never even charged the car battery for a week and one day they left connected. They were using it for bridge work at night (less freeway traffic). The pros is you don't need all that CFM and diesel fuel. The cons is it uses oxygen but you probly already have that stuf.



  24. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    It's still listed on arcairs site.
    I didn't know that. There was none available when I tried to buy one two years ago.

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Say ttoks, have you heard of exothermic torches? This one uses a 12 volt battery and oxygen. I know an iron worker that was telling me about it recently. He said they never even charged the car battery for a week and one day they left connected. They were using it for bridge work at night (less freeway traffic). The pros is you don't need all that CFM and diesel fuel. The cons is it uses oxygen but you probly already have that stuf.


    I've used them but only for demolition work, they are pretty expensive even for the small ones, plus they use a fair bit of oxygen which in itself is pretty expensive, the whole point of setting up for carbon arc is that its cheap I use oxy gouging most of the time at the moment where I can (for some things it's not allowed due to heat input issues)

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    For those who haven't seen one here's a pic of mine.....









    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  27. Likes ttoks liked this post
  28. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    For those who haven't seen one here's a pic of mine.....









    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What does it cost you for a 1/4 lance and how many lances do you think an E size (140 cubic foot) oxy bottle will run?

    I've found 1/4 lances for about $7 each, and a 140 cubic foot oxy bottle is about $120 here (all in AUD, yeah I know we get ripped off compared to US prices)

    What do you use it for? I'm want to hog out crack's for welding repair on thing like excavator boom's, removing tooth adaptors from excavator/loader buckets, removing weld to cleanly cut off bucket ware skins to replace them etc, how do you think the exothermic lances would go for these applications? as I said I've only really used them for demo work, and then usually 1 inch lances.
    Last edited by ttoks; 11-22-2021 at 03:27 AM.

  29. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    What does it cost you for a 1/4 lance and how many lances do you think an E size (140 cubic foot) oxy bottle will run?

    I've found 1/4 lances for about $7 each, and a 140 cubic foot oxy bottle is about $120 here (all in AUD, yeah I know we get ripped off compared to US prices)

    What do you use it for? I'm want to hog out crack's for welding repair on thing like excavator boom's, removing tooth adaptors from excavator/loader buckets, removing weld to cleanly cut off bucket ware skins to replace them etc, how do you think the exothermic lances would go for these applications? as I said I've only really used them for demo work, and then usually 1 inch lances.
    I am afraid I am going to be unable to answer any of your questions concerning oxygen consumption and consumable costs.

    I purchased the unit used along with a Victor track torch and a Lincoln LN25. I thought the lance would be perfect for seized pin extraction on our loaders, or excavator if need be. Fortunately I never had to use it.

    As it turns out it was somewhat like having insurance with the exception of still having your money in hand at the end of the day.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  30. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    I lost my air arc in a fire and a couple years later had to borrow one for one small job. Then on Hobart some popped up, Rocky D and I each bought one for 50$ which was a giveaway but havnt used it since, been 20 years.

  31. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Another option has come up that's interesting, ive come across a 25 CFM & 145PSI compressor linked below (so kind of halfway between the other two I am looking at) that pretty much doesn't have a built in tank, only 2 gallons of tank on the machine which is made up by the lifting frame, but it's vertically stacked, engine on top of the pump rather than engine and pump on top of a tank which means its got a tiny footprint, this thing is only 33 x 22 inches footprint, the 15 CFM compressor I'm looking at is 49 x 20 inches and is also 250 pounds lighter meaning no need for a GVM upgrade to my vehicle.

    If I have enough pump capacity to maintain 80PSI, should it matter having pretty much no tank? I do always have the option of installing a remote tank at a later date as they're pretty cheap, about $200 for a 150 psi rated and certified 25 gallon air tank, this setup would allow me to mount the compressor and generator in line in the bed of my vehicle rather than side by side allowing me to leave the full bed length down the middle for materials, if it would work.



    https://sydneytools.com.au/product/l...air-compressor
    Last edited by ttoks; 11-23-2021 at 12:37 PM.

  32. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  33. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

    Just keep in mind the duty cycle of the compressor. I have a pulford 15cfm petrol compressor with a fusheng compressor head and it says it has a 75% duty cycle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,643,248,266.94147 seconds with 12 queries