Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how much compressor for carbon arc gouging?

See if you can find a K2000 Arcair torch. They were discontinued but a welding supply (or e-bay) may still have one. They only required 15 CFM. There are also stick electrode gouging rods that don't require any air.

https://www.castolin.com/en-CA/produ...c-chamfertrode

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    There are also stick electrode gouging rods that don't require any air.

https://www.castolin.com/en-CA/produ...c-chamfertrode
    I've always wanted to try a couple. Just out of curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Seems i recall trying a couple, they worked ok but its been so long i cant remember the details.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I've always wanted to try a couple. Just out of curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was a dude who got some here I while back. Didn't seem real experienced so I would take any review with a grain of salt. I've used air arc, plasma , gouging electrode and oxy fuel tips. I would rate air arc as #1, plasma next as far as control but 3rd at removal. Oxy fuel at second for removal and last for control. Electrodes at some where in the middle. All in all it's really hard to beat an air arc for removing material in a controlled fashion. With that being said for crack repair I use an 1/8" thick , 6" pipeline grinding disc the majority of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    There was a dude who got some here I while back. Didn't seem real experienced so I would take any review with a grain of salt. I've used air arc, plasma , gouging electrode and oxy fuel tips. I would rate air arc as #1, plasma next as far as control but 3rd at removal. Oxy fuel at second for removal and last for control. Electrodes at some where in the middle. All in all it's really hard to beat an air arc for removing material in a controlled fashion. With that being said for crack repair I use an 1/8" thick , 6" pipeline grinding disc the majority of the time.
    Good to know, I've contemplated just going for a plasma setup as I wouldn't mind one anyway, but I already carry around a CC power source and soon a compressor for other things, the only in field benefit the plasma has over an oxy is cutting non ferrous metal and stainless which I don't see myself doing a lot of in field.

It's repairs like this where I think carbon air arc gouging would be the go, I gouged out these cracks with an oxy, but especially the one on the gusset with the other gusset next to it was a pain to get a grinder into, and as you sat oxy gouging has really poor control and can be quite slow and is quite expensive on gas, whereas air arc is surgical and fast in comparison.

Last edited by ttoks; 11-25-2021 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    Good to know, I've contemplated just going for a plasma setup as I wouldn't mind one anyway, but I already carry around a CC power source and soon a compressor for other things, the only in field benefit the plasma has over an oxy is cutting non ferrous metal and stainless which I don't see myself doing a lot of in field.

It's repairs like this where I think carbon air arc gouging would be the go, I gouged out these cracks with an oxy, but especially the one on the gusset with the other gusset next to it was a pain to get a grinder into, and as you sat oxy gouging has really poor control and can be quite slow and is quite expensive on gas, whereas air arc is surgical and fast in comparison.

For what your doing air arc is it. Plasma is hard to get in deep with as well, much like oxy fuel is. Another thing with the plasma is the dross is very hard to remove when gouging and it takes many passes to get any depth of cut. I've never used a 100+ amp machine but I couldn't imagine it would be a huge difference over a 60-80 amp machine. Other than the grinding, which any gouging process requires, air arc is insanely fast.

7. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used 1/4" carbon rods.last week,300 amps,and 7 or 9 cfm,worked great,just use the aire button when can...no cycling problems at all..and I did some serious gouging..removed a bout 12 feet of weld 2x2"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post

Was the weld partly uphill? It looks a little ropey but the camera might cause it to look worse than it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Weld pics are not very forgiving.
    I should look back before I comment but,,, I have miles behind an air arc and in my own world have used it about once or twice in 30+years. But if you are spending hours doing this the extra equipment is worth getting. Hook it up and test before investing in all the fit up. When I did my big truck it cost me some effort in over estimating the air I would really need. Today weight and cost are bigger issues, simple is good.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-26-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was going to put together another truck,,, which I kind of did recently would be looking at howmuch universal I could make it, cheaper and lighter. If I can do it with a battery drill, pair of Channellock's and a wire rope cumalong I am all over it.

Post Thanks / Like

The upside of showing up with a truck and 3 timesmore stuff than needed was most people impressed that they never wonder if you know wtf you are doing. When a guy crawls under a machine with a few rods and comes out and guy says, I could tell by the sound of that it was real welding,,, ha

Post Thanks / Like

Having the latest greatest tools doesn't mean much if you can't use them to their potential. Lots of bling but only the Mythbusters were actually able to polish a turd.
    An oxy/fuel gouging tip is another option.