+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Other Glove

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Other Glove

Quote Originally Posted by Ambull01 View Post
    That's a perfect symbiotic relationship right there lol. I would burn the skin off of my right hand with 350 amps.

The knuckles on both my hands have been burnt black many times, the coal dirt dont help the situation much either, but I got big ugly lookin callouses and scars on em from it but they still do what needs done. Ive even used the big ol gloves with the heat shields that snap on to the glove and Ive burnt through those in a day or 2, they are somethin like 43 bucks a pair these days, I dont use em that much mostly for jet arcin if I really really need em, too damn expensive. Most of the time I dont even know my knuckles are burnin up anymore, then I pull the glove off and the hide comes along with the glove.

Damn $105 for a pair but 2k deg F max protection sounds great. What are you welding with 750 amps?
    750 amps is a helluva lot of juice right there, the highest Ive ever gone that I can remember was about 480 amps with my 502D.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a 750 Miller cv welder with a 30E feeder .120 wire.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    750 amps is a helluva lot of juice right there, the highest Ive ever gone that I can remember was about 480 amps with my 502D.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 11-23-2021 at 08:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    It was a 750 Miller cv welder with a 30E feeder ,120 wire.

Dave
    That job was smokin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It was a lot cost for equipment and very few jobs that used on.
    Should just purchased a 300 amp welder.

Dave

That job was smokin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My first day in my first welding class in 1975, the instructor told us we would only wear out one glove of the pair. Tru Dat!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone try one of those guns with the long necks? Wondering if that would help although would be cheaper to just buy new pairs periodically

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone try one of those guns with the long necks? Wondering if that would help although would be cheaper to just buy new pairs periodically
    Problem with that is you just end up holding the gun further up the neck, you still need control. Unless you have rock steady arms and wrists like some of these pipeliner guys I watch.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a 750 Miller cv welder with a 30E feeder .120 wire.

Dave
    wow, that's impressive... biggest wire I've seen is solid 3/32" wire for two wire metal spraying on a 500 amp DC source, and that was a bit unmanageable since we only wanted 250-300 amps... we dropped to 1/16" wire a couple of years ago because it was easier to buy.
    The size of the wire bundles in 3/32" was a pain... loose bundles around 25-30kg of wire in a 30" coil.... and what a nightmare threading up was... the stuff didn't want to bend. It had a specific straightener roller setup to help it flow through the liners.

1/16" you can run on a 12" spool and it's far easier to manage.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one that I use on occasion for different stuff its a foot long. It takes some getting used to. I use it if I cant reach in to something very good with my hands and the gun together. Its a pain in the butt though to try and store it on my rig though.

One thing Ive been doin for years is slipping a piece of old air hose thats fits snug over the tube on the gooseneck if you have a habit of holding the gun with your lead hand there. I try to avoid doin that but sometimes it just isnt possible. The tube gets hot the air hose adds a bit of insulation so you dont burn your fingers as much. My Ironmate 126 guns have a heat shield on them but sometimes that gets in the way and I take it off, and its just a little thing and dont really protect your hand much. That Ironmate can only be used for self shielded wire though. You can get creative and make a heat shield if you want to. But hey...if this was easy and didnt mess your baby soft hands they would have kids and little old ladies doin it 24-7 for 3 bucks an hour
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 11-24-2021 at 03:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks handy for keeping the heat away from your left hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I only used 50 or 60 coils of flux core wire.
    I would not use solid wire it was ban from the shop.

It was a learning experience do not buy a big welder there very little work.

Just the cost of bringing power to 750 amp size welder is high.

The best size of welders is 150 to 300 amps.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    wow, that's impressive... biggest wire I've seen is solid 3/32" wire for two wire metal spraying on a 500 amp DC source, and that was a bit unmanageable since we only wanted 250-300 amps... we dropped to 1/16" wire a couple of years ago because it was easier to buy.
    The size of the wire bundles in 3/32" was a pain... loose bundles around 25-30kg of wire in a 30" coil.... and what a nightmare threading up was... the stuff didn't want to bend. It had a specific straightener roller setup to help it flow through the liners.

1/16" you can run on a 12" spool and it's far easier to manage.

12. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Problem with that is you just end up holding the gun further up the neck, you still need control. Unless you have rock steady arms and wrists like some of these pipeliner guys I watch.
    Unless you make a conscious effort to not hold the gun further up the neck and use that as a means of practicing to hone in on the necessary muscle memory retention. The advantage being that once you do build up the muscle memory, you now have more options and can still opt to hold the gun neck when you can, and when you can't you know how to use your learned skill. But when you haven't practiced it and have only welded by holding onto the neck/nozzle all the time, then getting out of that rhythm at a moment's notice is not always an option.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Unless you make a conscious effort to not hold the gun further up the neck and use that as a means of practicing to hone in on the necessary muscle memory retention. The advantage being that once you do build up the muscle memory, you now have more options and can still opt to hold the gun neck when you can, and when you can't you know how to use your learned skill. But when you haven't practiced it and have only welded by holding onto the neck/nozzle all the time, then getting out of that rhythm at a moment's notice is not always an option.
    Yup just like using your other hand to weld or anything else...Im left-handed and had my left hand broke and some fingers smashed in the mines when I was a young snot...I kept workin and welded right handed, wrote right-handed, wiped my butt right handed and so on, to this day im just about as good right-handed as left-handed...but then again it took nine months for it all to heal up, so I had some time to get used to bein right-handed
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 11-24-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You can purchase a heat shield that will fit around your glove so that doesnt happen so much. Little bulky but it's better then breaking in new gloves all the time.

Really great for high heat mig welds

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yup just like using your other hand to weld or anything else...Im left-handed and had my left hand broke and some fingers smashed in the mines when I was a young snot...I kept workin and welded right handed, wrote right-handed, wiped my butt right handed and so on, to this day im just about as good right-handed as left-handed...but then again it took nine months for it all to heal up, so I had some time to get used to bein right-handed
    So.........................................as a kid, ya were a left handed fwapper...............didja learn to do it right handed??????????

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to here about your fingers 😢

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I can use both hands
    There has been times I had to weld with my Left-hand do to location.

Both on my wife and I are right handed but we both use left-handed mouse on the computers.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    So.........................................as a kid, ya were a left handed fwapper...............didja learn to do it right handed??????????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    YUp, Ibecame very ambidextrous after that.

Intresting though was when I was growin up I cut timber and wood with my dad, he gave me a hatchet when I was 5 and taught me how to use it and sharpen in it, at age 8 he gave me a double bit axe for my birthday. I was proud as a peacock of that thing and took it to school for show and tell... teacher wasnt very happy about that...these days they would say you are raising a serial killer. Anyway for some reason i was using either hand for the hatchet and when I got the axe I was swingin it left or right handed just depending on the situation. After all that while playin baseball I was a natural switch hitter and was hittin em out over the fence from either side when I was 10 years old, couldnt throw for s%$t and was clumsy as hell trying to catch ground balls but I could hit a baseball into the high school football field when I tried out for the high school team. I didnt make the team so I went back to work in the mines
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 11-28-2021 at 03:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to here about your fingers 

Dave
    Its all good, they get stiff and and I cant keep em warm in the winter but there is a lot of hard miles on em, when you figure what a workin man puts his hands through in a lifetime its to be expected I suppose

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist