+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Porosity on silicon bronze cast iron brazing

Post Thanks / Like

Porosity on silicon bronze cast iron brazing

Tried practicing some SIB braze on cast iron, and got massive porosity.

Made some coupons out of an old brake disk, cleaned off most of the rust by soaking in phosphoric acid and hit the belt sander to give a bevel.

First try was DC, 150A and the top of the bead didn’t look terrible, sure had some holes.

Tried AC on the other side, 10% cleaning and that was a disaster. It seemed to pull all sorts of crap out of the cast iron and contaminate the tungsten right away.

Gave it a break test and OMG, whole thing full of holes.

One guess is I didn’t clean the middle lands where the parts touched, and they still had the black phosphate from the acid clean, IDK, maybe this was contaminating the weld???

So what settings do you guys like for cast iron TIG braze?

Here’s the disastrous first attempt:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porosity on silicon bronze cast iron brazing

Never had any bgreat luck with tig brazing cast iron. Gets to hot too quick and cools too quick.

Brazing cast is a slow process of bringing up to temp and getting penetration as it wicks into the crack and wets out in the pores then cools slowly since large area is brought up to high temps.

It doesn't really take to the casting when casting is only heated locally with tig. Oxy-Acetylene is more user friendly for brazing cast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    It doesn't really take to the casting when casting is only heated locally with tig. Oxy-Acetylene is more user friendly for brazing cast.
    I've never had much luck tig brazing with SiB, either, although I may have given up on it too fast. O/A with borax flux works way better IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Your also trying to weld something together that has crap impregnated inside of it. Things like oil pans, heads, all cast items from china, and such usually dont weld at all because when you heat it up, you will the crap out if them.

Things like hydraulic cylinders, mill tables, and anything smoothly built will weld just fine because it was designed to block out all instances of crap impregnating them.

Use a better piece of steel and your results will greatly improve.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Some kinds of cast iron are slam-full-up with carbon/graphite. Don't know whether that's the case here, but I suspect if so, it wouldn't help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    Your also trying to weld something together that has crap impregnated inside of it. Things like oil pans, heads, all cast items from china, and such usually dont weld at all because when you heat it up, you will the crap out if them.

Things like hydraulic cylinders, mill tables, and anything smoothly built will weld just fine because it was designed to block out all instances of crap impregnating them.

Use a better piece of steel and your results will greatly improve.
    I realize he has that option since this is practice metal pieces but was thinking he wants to learn to tig weld/braze cast iron not steel or cast steel.

I believe the cast iron may be the challenge he is trying to solve.
    Last edited by danielplace; 11-22-2021 at 08:30 AM.

7. Likes Andy Somogyi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    When you have something cast to fix you can't just turn it to something it isn't.

I think he wants to weld cast iron not steel or cast steel. The cast iron is the challenge he is trying to solve.
    Yes, I’ve got a broken part of a press that I have to fix, so I’m trying to learn the technique by practicing on scrap cast iron.

Post Thanks / Like

As the cast iron heats up, impurities are pulled out into the weld. My only luck with tigging it would be to grind almost all of the weld out, leaving just enough to hold the pieces stuck together. Reweld it a second time and most times it will be a good weld. Like others have said, torch brazing it would be the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a pic of what you want to repair?
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

I like tig brazing, but the guys are right - preheat it first.

Always clean the weld area. You have to bevel to get all the way through anyway.

So far, in my somewhat limited experience, I've like aluminum-bronze better.

I recently had a sil-bronze repair end up with some hard spots during drilling and a few pinholes. I didn't experience that with al-bronze.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave is correct on the filler. The silicone bronze is hard and solidifies so quickly you don't get the liquid flow and penetration you do with al-bronze or with the nickel rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I seen that type of porosity in pass.
    Seen on repair work, I do not how it happens.

The fix was to use a O/A torch and work down to the base metal (typically cast iron) with flux.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Somogyi View Post
    Tried practicing some SIB braze on cast iron, and got massive porosity.

Made some coupons out of an old brake disk, cleaned off most of the rust by soaking in phosphoric acid and hit the belt sander to give a bevel.

First try was DC, 150A and the top of the bead didn’t look terrible, sure had some holes.

Tried AC on the other side, 10% cleaning and that was a disaster. It seemed to pull all sorts of crap out of the cast iron and contaminate the tungsten right away.

Gave it a break test and OMG, whole thing full of holes.

One guess is I didn’t clean the middle lands where the parts touched, and they still had the black phosphate from the acid clean, IDK, maybe this was contaminating the weld???

So what settings do you guys like for cast iron TIG braze?

Here’s the disastrous first attempt:

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist