Thread: Mounting acetylene valve upside down?

Post Thanks / Like

Mounting acetylene valve upside down?

I just finished mounting an oxy/acetylene hose reel, and the whip hose from the reel to the gauge set is just short enough that I have to flip the acetylene gauge slightly upside down. Now, I could make a longer whip hose, or even raise the acetylene tank about 8-12" off the ground, but any reason the partially upside down gauges will potentially case any problems? The gauges are probably -20* from being completely flat/level across the face.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mounting acetylene valve upside down?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason280 View Post
    I just finished mounting an oxy/acetylene hose reel, and the whip hose from the reel to the gauge set is just short enough that I have to flip the acetylene gauge slightly upside down. Now, I could make a longer whip hose, or even raise the acetylene tank about 8-12" off the ground, but any reason the partially upside down gauges will potentially case any problems? The gauges are probably -20* from being completely flat/level across the face.
    I would not think the gauge being upside down or I guess we should say the regulator not being normally orientated would pose any issue.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a regulator... No, it wont care about orientation.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, no, that is not a problem.

My regulators have been sideways since the cylinder outlet changed from vertical to horizontal.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I didn't think it would be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

A pic. would help. The last thing you want is acetone coming out of the cylinder/regulator.

Post Thanks / Like

It will only be a problem if the acetone in the tank gets inside the regulator. But of the tank stays upright all the time, it should not ever be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    It will only be a problem if the acetone in the tank gets inside the regulator. But of the tank stays upright all the time, it should not ever be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    That's true but there are two ways to rotate the regulator - with or without the cylinder. A picture can get rid of the ambiguity however unlikely it might be.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't mention the tank not being upright. Laying the tank down would have same detrimental effect on regulator however it is attached if valve is opened and liquid acetone flows out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    He didn't mention the tank not being upright.
    Nor did he mention it being upright. Hence the ambiguity - however unlikely it might be.

I made the comment to emphasise the usefulness of including an image.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
    Nor did he mention it being upright. Hence the ambiguity - however unlikely it might be.

I made the comment to emphasise the usefulness of including an image.

Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason280 View Post
    Nobody knows for certain and your absolutely right a picture would answer our question and help us answer his for sure. Pics are always good and usually save a lot of typing.

Sorry I guess I read further into his post and managed to put 2 and 2 together to be pretty sure he wasn't laying tank over to get the gauge face 20 degrees from horizontal.

If he would need to rotate the regulator or raise the tank to make it reach means that the reel is probably above the tank/reg. Anything less than upright would make the regulator get further away making the hose even more short. So short of hanging it upside down I recon the tank is still upright.
    Last edited by danielplace; 11-28-2021 at 08:07 PM.