+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welder Dave update

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder Dave update

Happy to see you getting better, being positive is super important, still praying for you.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

To give a little info about the different scans being done. CT is and X ray type scan which is less that the radiation you get flying from NY to LA, the speed of the exam reduces the dose of radiation. A MRI is radio wave type scan using high magnetic energy and radio frequencies for detections of the interested section of the body. A PET scan is a radioactive material being introduced into the body for targeted sections of the body. The radioactive material has a very short half life and is flushed from the body quickly. This is also why it takes a long time for the scan very low energy being emitted from the radioactive material.
    Don't help with the pain but you will not glow in the dark.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PET Scan every three months.
    The CT or MRI does not show my cancer.
    I may now glow purple in the dark.

Chemotherapy is so mush fun you feel like bad cold all time.
    I am now on Lonsuf witch is a lot better Chemotherapy

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    To give a little info about the different scans being done. CT is and X ray type scan which is less that the radiation you get flying from NY to LA, the speed of the exam reduces the dose of radiation. A MRI is radio wave type scan using high magnetic energy and radio frequencies for detections of the interested section of the body. A PET scan is a radioactive material being introduced into the body for targeted sections of the body. The radioactive material has a very short half life and is flushed from the body quickly. This is also why it takes a long time for the scan very low energy being emitted from the radioactive material.
    Don't help with the pain but you will not glow in the dark.

4. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought I should give an update. I still have some trouble swallowing solid foods but seems to be slowly improving. I go for a PET scan on Jan.19 and they are putting me on a trial of a different cancer treatment. It's been around for a long time but they stopped using it because it caused birth defects in some women. It has been approved again and I'm not having any kids so not a problem. I trust my Dr. but if I have any side effects, I'll stop using it. It's tough enough getting through this without needing more complications. I'm still pretty weak but getting by. It seems hard to gain my weight back. That's probably why I'm so weak. Doing OK though.

Post Thanks / Like

Being weak is a big bummer too.

Merry Christmas
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Thought I should give an update. I still have some trouble swallowing solid foods but seems to be slowly improving. I go for a PET scan on Jan.19 and they are putting me on a trial of a different cancer treatment. It's been around for a long time but they stopped using it because it caused birth defects in some women. It has been approved again and I'm not having any kids so not a problem. I trust my Dr. but if I have any side effects, I'll stop using it. It's tough enough getting through this without needing more complications. I'm still pretty weak but getting by. It seems hard to gain my weight back. That's probably why I'm so weak. Doing OK though.

7. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Merry Christmas Dave and Happy New Year Wishing and Praying the very best for you...thats for both Daves here

Popeye

9. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there dave and merry christmas

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. Merry Xmas!!!!!
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Merry Christmas WelderDave!

Been a tough year for you so Happy New Year 2022!
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers continue Dave. Sendding Merry Christmas wishes and a blessed New Year, hang in there, you gotta be a tough guy cuz you're a welder!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting depressed mostly because I can't eat what I want and it's hard to swallow solid food. My taste buds are really screwed up. I can nibble away a grilled cheese sandwich without getting an awful taste. Most other foods taste like crap. We're also in a deep freeze. Was close to -50C (record low) with the wind chill on Monday night. Supposed to warm up for the weekend (-9 and -6) and then cold again. Neither vehicle tried to start even when plugged in. Thankfully we got the new furnace figured out before the cold snap came. The intake pipe was icing up and the furnace wouldn't come on. Solution was to put a tee in the intake pipe inside the house so it could draw air easier. Apparently ours wasn't the only one. It seems to be an issue with the high efficiency furnaces. Is working great now.

15. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it sounds like your out of the hospital, as no one likes to be there. The days are already getting longer, and your taste will come back, I take it you got someone there helping you out. I think those type of things will keep improving for you. The 19th, is a long way off in your world, so you got plenty of time to think to yourself, on your decision on the new medecine. I don't know what else to say, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates seeing your posts, and updates. Keep it up.
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-29-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try protein or meal replacement shakes
    I would say milk shakes but cancer love sugar and real love high fructose corn syrup.

Dave

I'm getting depressed mostly because I can't eat what I want and it's hard to swallow solid food. My taste buds are really screwed up. I can nibble away a grilled cheese sandwich without getting an awful taste. Most other foods taste like crap. We're also in a deep freeze. Was close to -50C (record low) with the wind chill on Monday night. Supposed to warm up for the weekend (-9 and -6) and then cold again. Neither vehicle tried to start even when plugged in. Thankfully we got the new furnace figured out before the cold snap came. The intake pipe was icing up and the furnace wouldn't come on. Solution was to put a tee in the intake pipe inside the house so it could draw air easier. Apparently ours wasn't the only one. It seems to be an issue with the high efficiency furnaces. Is working great now.

18. Likes N2 Welding, JimboTN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did find if mix strawberry syrup with shake it help too.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Dave...its a New Year take one day at a time things will get better...wishing and praying for you all the good things God can offer to bless you with

21. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    Dave...its a New Year take one day at a time things will get better...wishing and praying for you all the good things God can offer to bless you with

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing better than I was and can eat a few more foods but still have trouble with some. Social worker from the cancer institute is working on my appeal for disability benefits. I have a constant nagging back ache and feel very fatigued most of the time. My joints really ache when I wake up, especially my right knee. It hurts to straighten it but is OK once I'm up. At least the weather warmed up. We were in a record deep freeze here, windchills of -35C and colder for close to a month.

24. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry here of the Social worker and disability problems .

Dave

I'm doing better than I was and can eat a few more foods but still have trouble with some. Social worker from the cancer institute is working on my appeal for disability benefits. I have a constant nagging back ache and feel very fatigued most of the time. My joints really ache when I wake up, especially my right knee. It hurts to straighten it but is OK once I'm up. At least the weather warmed up. We were in a record deep freeze here, windchills of -35C and colder for close to a month.

26. Dislikes TraditionalToolworks disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are over 62 it is to get disability.
    But typically it you cancer it is easier to get disability too.
    I had go disability too and it only took from May to September to get disability. About fast as they give disability out.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be 59 in April. Apparently Canada pension disability is always denied at the first request. Getting it at 60 is common but when I talked to someone from CPP on the phone they even acknowledged that it can take 6 to 12 month's to recover from a stem cell transplant. Based on this I could only be looking at getting it 6 month's early. I have a constant nagging back ache and get fatigued really easy. I still take long acting Dilauded for pain twice a day. It's about 8 times more potent than Morphine. I also still have to self catheter because my bladder was damaged. I may need to have an operation to repair the water works but have to wait a few month's to see if it improves. So far it hasn't improved. I'm used to it, having done it a thousand times but it's still a PIA to have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I hoping to help but it is Canada.
    A year ago I was in your place with cancer. I have kidney damage from cancer too.

In September if 2021 my Doctor gave me 6 to 9 months. The November PET Scan and new drug change to a 5 year plus plan. I just turn 67 in November my cancer (stage 4) started August 13 2009.

Dave

I'll be 59 in April. Apparently Canada pension disability is always denied at the first request. Getting it at 60 is common but when I talked to someone from CPP on the phone they even acknowledged that it can take 6 to 12 month's to recover from a stem cell transplant. Based on this I could only be looking at getting it 6 month's early. I have a constant nagging back ache and get fatigued really easy. I still take long acting Dilauded for pain twice a day. It's about 8 times more potent than Morphine. I also still have to self catheter because my bladder was damaged. I may need to have an operation to repair the water works but have to wait a few month's to see if it improves. So far it hasn't improved. I'm used to it, having done it a thousand times but it's still a PIA to have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

My moneys on you tough old weldors battling cancer.

Best wishes to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

CRA is a pain to deal with. Seems their MO is to tick you off until you go away. Wife is over 60 and never did get the disability after 2 knee replacements. She just gave up fighting with them. Sounds like you have a little help dealing with them, so feel free to give them an extra kick in the gnads for me...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    My moneys on you tough old weldors battling cancer.

Best wishes to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My self I have applied two times for disability and got it both times.
    The first after all work I turn down in 2010.
    In 2018 I applied again and got the second time and took the disability. Then retired in 2020.
    I could not work with side affects of chemo. (In 2009 Both hands and feet I could feel any)

Dave

PS: Try to do any thing with hands that are numm like being at the DDS. Try typing, welding, machine work and even using a fork. The doctors could see how could walk with numm feet.

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    CRA is a pain to deal with. Seems their MO is to tick you off until you go away. Wife is over 60 and never did get the disability after 2 knee replacements. She just gave up fighting with them. Sounds like you have a little help dealing with them, so feel free to give them an extra kick in the gnads for me...
    Last edited by smithdoor; 01-12-2022 at 02:34 PM.

34. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist