Thread: mobile welding business

Post Thanks / Like

mobile welding business

I just started my mobile welding business and wanted to know how much to charge for a 9’x 40’ double slide gate with corrugated metal instead of vertical bars. He is making me work with used metal that has vertical bars 6” apart on a 3” square tubing frame and I’m going to install it and even have to do the concrete work because there’s asphalt where the rail is going to be so i have to cut it out and put the concrete in.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: mobile welding business

Sounds like building a door?
    Working with used steel takes more time and cleaning.

Remember you need a foundation for post about 4 feet deep and about 30 inches diameter.
    If the post hole is to small the gate will tip over.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tru-Stud-Welding View Post
    I just started my mobile welding business and wanted to know how much to charge for a 9’x 40’ double slide gate with corrugated metal instead of vertical bars. He is making me work with used metal that has vertical bars 6” apart on a 3” square tubing frame and I’m going to install it and even have to do the concrete work because there’s asphalt where the rail is going to be so i have to cut it out and put the concrete in.

Post Thanks / Like

So your building 2x 9' x 20' gates that both slide?

The post footing concrete will have to be at least 4' x 2' x say 2' deep. This will give you a 2,000# counterweight. You need a lot of counter balance so you dont have to keep coming back and adjusting it from a bad footing. When I use to be a part of a wrought iron club, the gate guys would say was more concrete is cheap insurance.

I dont know how heavy the panels you will be welding on, you may have to make the footing bigger.

As far as charging, that depends on what you really think. I could say that would take me 2 days but you take 5 days. Do you have all the equipment or do you have to rent stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

No i didnt have to rent anything i dug Everything
    with a shovel. The footing on 2 of the posts are 3’ deep and 10” diameter the others are like at 1’ deep with a 12”x12” by 3/4” plate with 4 6” rebar welded on the bottom. There are 2 6” post already there so i tied the new posts to those posts and it seems like it’s holding on nicely. My biggest question is how much should i be charging thought because i got 2 more to make.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could answer that "biggest question" for you. I really do. I wish I could direct all of the aspiring welding craftsmen to a web site where you could simply type in your business name, your abilities, your equipment list and the particulars of your project and it would spit out an answer. But that answer, for each and every one, must be forged in the furnace of your own inner being, shaped blow by blow on the anvil of life, and tweaked to perfection in the vise of public opinion. I went through the same fire myself. I will offer you a goal, however. Something to aim towards. And I say this without knowing anything about your location. What you need to do is to endeavor to get to the point where your shop rate, and field rate, keeps pace with John Deere, Caterpiller, etc. I certainly wish you success.