+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fence price

Post Thanks / Like

fence price

I have a 72’ fence to finish on a already started project that has all da post in and framing. I have to redo the posts beacuse they aren’t in the ground and put in all the vertical tubing and also there will be 2 sliding gates and to 4’ wide swing gates. So what sounds reasonable to charge since i’m new in the business.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fence price

Quote Originally Posted by Tru-Stud-Welding View Post
    I have a 72’ fence to finish on a already started project that has all da post in and framing. I have to redo the posts beacuse they aren’t in the ground and put in all the vertical tubing and also there will be 2 sliding gates and to 4’ wide swing gates. So what sounds reasonable to charge since i’m new in the business.
    $10,000.00
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

3. Likes _Weldman_, drillerjoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    $10,000.00
    $10,155.00 otherwise the customer will think you're just throwing out numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

5. Likes John T, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    $10,155.00 otherwise the customer will think you're just throwing out numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    $10,155.89
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

7. Likes Lis2323, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    $10,155.89
    Much better. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody started it, did not finish it, now you remove what was started? Does not sound like "finish"ing a job. Not sure what I would charge from the description, however don't tread lightly on pricing. Seems like you should be checking locally fir pricing on labor on fence building. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a joke.

It’s equivalent to these guys to come onto the board and say I’m thinking of starting a welding business

What sort of machine should I buy?

Get the F out of here.

Anyone with common sense would not step into a business without knowing what to charge.

Especially getting involved with a job without quoting a price and then go online and ask what he should charge

It’s retarded.

Not to mention digging holes by hand with a shovel.

So much wrong with this I don’t know where to start.

A smart man will take a job for six or seven months for a fabricator or a fence company and learn the ins and outs.

How to do things how to price jobs etc. etc.

Whatever.

Turkeys almost done.

I’m out of here.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

11. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You never know, i have seen as many start out in reverse as running in foreward.

Post Thanks / Like

John is our good will ambassador. I'm on an old car forum and a guy came in that had just bought a car. Wanted me to tell him what it was. Dude!
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

14. Likes _Weldman_, Lis2323, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

and the actual retail price is $10,000 for a difference of zero dollars, come on down John T.... Bob Barker

16. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got started in the fencing business when I couldn't find anyone who would build what I wanted - a wood fence with square steel posts, set in concrete, with steel-framed gates and remote openers. I ended up renting a two-man power auger and doing it all myself. I was already building gate frames to replace wood ones, which typically fail in 2-3 years. Did my own, learned what I needed to in that process, and started doing them for others who admired my work and wanted some.

Step 0 - Get your contractor's license. Without it, you WILL get screwed. If you won't/can't get a license. don't do a contract - do time and materials ONLY. "I charge $X/hour, and the customer supplies all the materials. My time starts when I arrive, ends when you pay me, and has a 6 hour minimum, unless agreed on in advance."
    Step 1 - draw up plans to determine materials quantities. Add 50% for waste and price increases.
    Step 2 - estimate labor, then triple it. Everything that can go wrong, will.
    Step 3 - meet with the client, and be prepared to take your drawings, materials list, and estimate with you WHEN YOU WALK AWAY.

Realize you are cleaning up someone else's mess on this job, so you'll probably regret getting involved with this customer.
    Miller 250P, MM210, Bobcat 250
    Lincoln 225AC/DC, Pro-Mig 175
    Lotos Cut 50
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    Titanium Easy Flux 125

18. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's tough to go cost plus. Most people won't hire you. They prefer a flat bid.

I had a guy cutting Cedars for me that was by the hour. He screwed me big time, and I still have a ton of trees that have to be cut.

I had issues with a grapple. Made one, but it didn't work as planned, redesigned it, and finally got out on the line with the dood. Cut more trees in about 4 hours, than he did in a f'n week. Then the azzhole just up and quits because when I worked with him, the pace was too fast. Contractors are either good, or suck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teachu2 View Post
    I got started in the fencing business when I couldn't find anyone who would build what I wanted - a wood fence with square steel posts, set in concrete, with steel-framed gates and remote openers. I ended up renting a two-man power auger and doing it all myself. I was already building gate frames to replace wood ones, which typically fail in 2-3 years. Did my own, learned what I needed to in that process, and started doing them for others who admired my work and wanted some.

Step 0 - Get your contractor's license. Without it, you WILL get screwed. If you won't/can't get a license. don't do a contract - do time and materials ONLY. "I charge $X/hour, and the customer supplies all the materials. My time starts when I arrive, ends when you pay me, and has a 6 hour minimum, unless agreed on in advance."
    Step 1 - draw up plans to determine materials quantities. Add 50% for waste and price increases.
    Step 2 - estimate labor, then triple it. Everything that can go wrong, will.
    Step 3 - meet with the client, and be prepared to take your drawings, materials list, and estimate with you WHEN YOU WALK AWAY.

Realize you are cleaning up someone else's mess on this job, so you'll probably regret getting involved with this customer.
    Add 50 percent of what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Add 50 percent of what?
    Of your calculated materials.
    Lotos Cut 50
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    Titanium Easy Flux 125

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds you know how long took.
    How many hours did take and the number of posts installed?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tru-Stud-Welding View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Understood - but if you quote a complete price without a contractor's license, you have no recourse if you don't get paid - at least here in California.
    Lotos Cut 50
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    Titanium Easy Flux 125

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    At point you just a employe and do not sign or give a contract.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Teachu2 View Post
    Understood - but if you quote a complete price without a contractor's license, you have no recourse if you don't get paid - at least here in California.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in California as well.

I never pay by the hour. That person then becomes an employee and opens up another can of worms not in your favor either.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

26. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What can worms are you taking about?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I'm in California as well.

I never pay by the hour. That person then becomes an employee and opens up another can of worms not in your favor either.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd find out why the job was left unfinished in the first place....
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    What can worms are you taking about?

Dave
    In California:

You hire someone by the hour/day laborer they are technically now YOUR employee. They are NOT independent contractors/labor.

Employees have rights and are very well protected in California, rightly so as a lot of employers are pretty crappy. But also the gubment wants to make sure taxes are collected.

Anyhoo... the worker/employee gets injured while working for you... you are on the hook if they want to file workers comp claim. You can't claim that they are independent contractors. They are considered employees by the state.

Pay dispute ? They can file a claim with the EDD (Employment Development Department) and say... they, as an employee, were not paid timely or correctly.

All of the problems/can of worms fall in to your lap.

It has become worse with the passage of AB-5 and the rules for how workers are classified.

****e- you control when they start or stop- boom, employee.

It gets dizzying for sure.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

As a retired contractor I found this same type person will come up ways not pay.

Either way you will find people will not pay.
    If do not have license and just starting about the only thing you can do is be a employee if working on buildings and hope best out come. Most will pay for your work.
    California does permit a handyman up to $500.00 most welders I have know most handyman and welders would do just labor and owner pay for material up to $500.00 it is safer. But again they where working to get a license too.

But if you working on equipment a contractor works great. No license need most cities and a few countries will require a business license in California.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    In California:

You hire someone by the hour/day laborer they are technically now YOUR employee. They are NOT independent contractors/labor.

Employees have rights and are very well protected in California, rightly so as a lot of employers are pretty crappy. But also the gubment wants to make sure taxes are collected.

Anyhoo... the worker/employee gets injured while working for you... you are on the hook if they want to file workers comp claim. You can't claim that they are independent contractors. They are considered employees by the state.

Pay dispute ? They can file a claim with the EDD (Employment Development Department) and say... they, as an employee, were not paid timely or correctly.

All of the problems/can of worms fall in to your lap.

It has become worse with the passage of AB-5 and the rules for how workers are classified.

****e- you control when they start or stop- boom, employee.

It gets dizzying for sure.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist