Thread: Millermatic 210 contactor issues

Post Thanks / Like

Millermatic 210 contactor issues

Hey guys,

I have a 210. purchased it new years ago. Recently a few issues have arouse. Welding very bad, no penetration, very sporadic wire burn, lots of splatter.
    1. Ground clamp getting really hot. (replaced clamp and wire, problem cone) still not welding like it should
    2. Replaced the contactor with new one points were toasted. Problem went away for a little while. Looked at contactor today and it looks bad already. Maybe 5 Lb. of wire through it. See pictures below, I took it apart and these are the point only. If this is bad what can be causing the contactor to go bad so fast.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Name:  welder 2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  27.3 KB
    Name:  Welder 1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  33.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Millermatic 210 contactor issues

Low voltage could. Check voltage at the machine at rest and when you arc up at higher amperage and be sure voltage dump in negligible.

Post Thanks / Like

On/off switch = 241 volts
    On/off switch to board 241 volts
    Voltage to relay when pressing trigger = 26.1 volts
    Ohms on relay 0.3
    Amps in to the voltage control unit
    #1 = 80
    #2 = 95
    #3 = 105
    #4 = 125
    #5 = 140
    #6 = 160
    #7 = 180
    Amps out of the voltage control unit were about the same as amps going into the unit.

Does this make since and seem with in sepeciifations?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taw Paw View Post
    On/off switch = 241 volts
    On/off switch to board 241 volts
    Voltage to relay when pressing trigger = 26.1 volts
    Ohms on relay 0.3
    Amps in to the voltage control unit
    #1 = 80
    #2 = 95
    #3 = 105
    #4 = 125
    #5 = 140
    #6 = 160
    #7 = 180
    Amps out of the voltage control unit were about the same as amps going into the unit.

Does this make since and seem with in sepeciifations?
    26 volt should be good guessing the 3 pole contactor has 24 volt coil.

You should test the voltage before and after under a decent load is applied you can't be sure it isn't falling out when load hits causing excessive arcing when the contactor switches.

You need a voltage reading at the unit before and after while it is making a weld or other way of loading the output. Not troubleshooting the machine but rather the circuit to the machine.

Those were amp readings on a ammeter ?

How were you loading the machine to read the amp load on each setting during a static test ? Amps usually won't be readable while unit is idleing even if you are swtching contactor on other than the coil in the contactor drawing something. Thinking that would need a load bank to produce a measurable/test load.

Like say a 500 amp breaker would not read any amperage coming out if no load on wire feeding out of it. Then it is still only the load you read not the actual amps available.
    Last edited by danielplace; 11-28-2021 at 10:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    26 volt should be good guessing the 3 pole contactor has 24 volt coil.

You should test the voltage before and after under a decent load is applied you can't be sure it isn't falling out when load hits causing excessive arcing when the contactor switches.

You need a voltage reading at the unit before and after while it is making a weld or other way of loading the output. Not troubleshooting the machine but rather the circuit to the machine.

Those were amp readings on a ammeter ?

How were you loading the machine to read the amp load on each setting during a static test ? Amps usually won't be readable while unit is idleing even if you are swtching contactor on other than the coil in the contactor drawing something. Thinking that would need a load bank to produce a measurable/test load.
    Like say a 500 amp breaker would not read any amperage coming out if no load on wire feeding out of it. Then it is still only the load you read not the actual amps available.
    Yes it is a 24 volt coil
    I will test this tomorrow evening under a load.
    yes I used a multi meter
    I had my son weld while I used the multi meter to read amps