+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to accurately mix gasses?

Post Thanks / Like

how to accurately mix gasses?

I Can't have every gas combination possible on my truck that I use, I want argon for TIG work, C25 for dual shield flux core and short circuit MIG where a WPS calls for it (which surprisingly is not readily available where I am) 100% Co2 for where dual shield with it is acceptable, some C10 when I need to do some spray transfer solid wire is great, plus oxy and acetylene.

I'm guessing you are seeing where I'm going with this, I want to only carry 4 E sized (140ish cubic foot) bottles around, oxygen and acetylene, an argon bottle and a Co2 bottle.

What is the best way to accurately meter argon and Co2 for a mix, I am mostly going to be wanting C25 and C10 mixes, but I will has to be able to demonstrate accurate (within 10%) flow rates for the gasses to be approved by the CWI, what mixing tools are out there that can do this?

The best idea I have atm is an CO2 calibrated ball flow meter and an argon calibrated ball flow meter on they're respective bottles connected with a Y connecter after the meters.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to accurately mix gasses?

3. Likes ttoks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, gas mixers are the best, and most expensive, solution to your problem. I have done it in the past with a "Y" connector and separate flow meters to produce a 90/10 Ar/CO2 mix from a cylinder of 100% Ar and another with C25. I understand you are doing something a little different, but the same principles should apply. Rather than explain the calculations I used in detail, here is a link to a post by Oscar on another forum that spells it out.....
    https://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.c...hp?f=6&t=14410
    Scott

Miller XMT 350 CC/CV w/gas solenoid opt.
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller Spoolmatic 30A / WC-24
    C-K 200A torch/gas lens
    Weldcraft WC-18 watercooled torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Victor O/A

5. Likes ttoks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ttoks, you CAN have every gas mix available if you want! With a few specialized flowmeters I can build you a Frankenmixer flowmeter station where you can hook up 3 gases: Argon, CO₂, and O₂. The O₂ is optional, but who knows, you might need to add in small amounts of it. You can then proceed to dial in any reasonable gas mixture from just 3 tanks. The O₂ tank I use is the small 20 ft³ since it is only used in tiny percentages, it takes up hardly any extra space, and lasts a very long time.

This is one I built for a customer/friend, it has dual CO₂ flowmeters since he, like you, wanted to dial in C25 with a large overall flowrate, along with low percentages for spray/pulsed-spray

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

7. Likes ttoks liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist