+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Invertig 221

So I’ve had the invertig 221 on my short list for quite a while now. As the Black Friday sale is on now I’m very close to finally pulling the trigger. I’ve started discussions on moving into a business opportunity that would require a lot of aluminum welding and the AHP unit I have now is starting to indicate it’s going sideways, again…..and I need a better machine that will stand up to everyday use as a primary machine should i end up making a commitment to this new venture.

There’s a Sanrex 300 being offered used a couple hour drive from here but I can’t find anyone with actual experience with one of these welders post thermal arc so I have my doubts about service after the sale. I know the TA units were very highly regarded but I don’t know if the Sanrex units are up to the same standard. The extra punch of a 300 amp machine would be nice but I don’t think it’s really necessary, at least at this point.

I’ve head so many positive things about the 221 but I’ve never heard about one failing. I’d love to hear from actual owners about the overall reliability of their machines and how the repair/warranty process works with HTP. Are these welders as durable as the lack of negative comments suggests?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Invertig 221

I've read of a few failing here and there but obviously not too many. Nothing is bullet-proof, that is for sure. I torture tested mine on DCEN and it did surprisingly well. But I'm sure that reduced the lifespan just as it would any welding machine.

"a lot of aluminum welding" doesn't say much. Do you need to weld 16 gauge aluminum for 8 hours a day, or 3/8" thick aluminum 8 hours a day? BIG difference.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

3. Likes winniweld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine has not failed me. I do not use it daily. The water cooler is suspect with its not uncommon random flow alarm issue. Hopefully they have improve on that.

5. Likes winniweld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I've read of a few failing here and there but obviously not too many. Nothing is bullet-proof, that is for sure. I torture tested mine on DCEN and it did surprisingly well. But I'm sure that reduced the lifespan just as it would any welding machine.

"a lot of aluminum welding" doesn't say much. Do you need to weld 16 gauge aluminum for 8 hours a day, or 3/8" thick aluminum 8 hours a day? BIG difference.
    It remains to be seen how much “a lot of aluminum” actually constitutes. I’m going to venture a guess of 2 to 4 actual welding time 3 or 4 days a week.the rest of my time would be prep work and set up type work if this deal happens. Material thickness certainly wouldn’t be over 1/4” and for the most part would be 1/8” or thinner.

Any idea how the warranty process works for the HTP machines, you certainly own enough of them have you discussed the actual warranty repair process with Jeff?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Mine has not failed me. I do not use it daily. The water cooler is suspect with its not uncommon random flow alarm issue. Hopefully they have improve on that.
    Thanks for the input, I’m glad your machine has been trouble free, how long have you owned it, how much use does it see? I don’t think I’ll be going with a water cooler from HTP. I built one out of a procon pump and carbonation tank a few years ago and it’s been serving me well!

8. Likes massacre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had mine for a couple of years with no problems. I've welded up to 1/2" thick alum and it struggled but did it. I think the duty cycle is higher than what is advertised as I have done production welding and never hit cut-off on the duty cycle. Burns 4 mm 7018 all day long, and the pulsed stick feature saved my bacon on a couple of jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winniweld View Post
    It remains to be seen how much “a lot of aluminum” actually constitutes. I’m going to venture a guess of 2 to 4 actual welding time 3 or 4 days a week.the rest of my time would be prep work and set up type work if this deal happens. Material thickness certainly wouldn’t be over 1/4” and for the most part would be 1/8” or thinner.

Any idea how the warranty process works for the HTP machines, you certainly own enough of them have you discussed the actual warranty repair process with Jeff?
    For 1/4" and less I think the 221 would fit the bill unless you need more duty cycle than what the machine can deliver.

For the warranty process, as far as I know HTP is willing to work with customers to diagnose/troubleshoot/repair over the phone before anything else. Not every repair situation merits/requires shipping the machine back to HTP for service. This is what I recall from perhaps a couple years ago, so you might want to give them a call and ask to see if these practices are still in place.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

11. Likes massacre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought my htp221 220v only back in 2015 use it mainly for tig with a homegrown water cooler. Love this machine. The SSC pedals are great, but I have a 4touch and never use the pedal anymore. Lots of automotive out of position welding.

It does good on stick too. Only had one issue and it was total operator error. There was nothing actually wrong with the machine. HTP helped me over the phone.

My previous machine was a Lincoln Squarewave 175, very good but limited. If not going over 1/4” aluminum the 221 is really a great machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess the water cooler is ok? Repaired mine today. My issue misposition of the switch atop the flow controller.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the 221 ( no cooler version) Monday. I'll run it with a home grown cooler i built a couple years ago with a CK superflex 20 torch i bought from HTP at the s,me time i built the cooler. UPS just sent an email saying it will be here on Monday. I'm really lookng forward to getting this welder in the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Just fyi - I already had my homemade cooler with a 110v pump motor. I had to buy a 220v pump motor and purchase the plug that would fit the back of the welder. Don’t remember for sure but I think I bought the plug from HTP. It is nothing you will find at Ace that’s for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

i've been plugging the cooler in independently of the welder for several years and i've yet to forget to start the cooler. It's kind of ingrained in my routine now, I plug the cooler in first and start it before plugging in the welder. I'll take a look at what they are offering though, i wouldn't miss having the cooler's cord on the ground, thanks for the heads up!

Post Thanks / Like

My order arrived last night, 2 packages on 2 separate trucks. I’m glad I don’t work at UPS this time of year! This arrived in a week as promised and I put it all together this morning, I have to say I’m very pleased so far, I’ve done a little DC and a little AC and it’s a slick welder. The interface is pretty easy, having read through the manual online was very helpful. I’m looking forward to having an actual project to use it on rather than just fooling around with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine hasnt given me any trouble other than having to fiddle with flow alarm on cooler. has more adjustability than i need. Very happy with purchase.

19. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ran across this thread today and thought I would comment. I had a 201 for 2007-2020. It had very few problems until the HiFreq stopped. Still managed to glue together the front end of a 2015 Z06 using lift-off. Could no longer get a control board for the 201, Jeff helped me trace the issue. I've had the 221 every since and it has been a real good tool. Not a production guy so the air-cooled has been sufficient. I weld Steel, SS, CrMo, and Aluminum with no issues. With use of preheat I have been able to weld Aluminum structures of up to 1/4" thickness material. I have not hit the duty cycle limit but do not use the system full time. Great unit...

21. Likes Oscar liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist