+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12vs fluxcore gun

Post Thanks / Like

12vs fluxcore gun

I have been running a Bernard duraflux gun for fluxcore wire, but it’s for 1/16-3/32 wire, with a fixed liner. I would like to run .035 and .045 fluxcore. What’s a good gun to use? I was thinking a profax 1260.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 12vs fluxcore gun

Depending on your feeder, a standard Miggun with a flux nozzle will work well with the smaller wires.

Post Thanks / Like

right, .035-.045 innershield can pretty much run through most chicken guns . however, u mentioned my favaorite innershield gun. i prefer it over the lincolns k126, mostly for the replacable liner, and slightly for the way the trigger hinges, and last i knew, its a hundred bucks cheaper than lincolns. i got a .045 liner in one of my 1260's (which i think is smallest dia liner) , and profax makes tips down too .035. its a 350 amp gun and not exactly cheap, its quite an overkil for what ur talkin , i ve got liners in my other 1260's for the other larger wires u mentioned in 10 and 15' . its a great gun to have, all mine have lincoln ends/ln-25.
    Last edited by 123weld; 11-27-2021 at 11:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    right, .035-.045 innershield can pretty much run through most chicken guns . however, u mentioned my favaorite innershield gun. i prefer it over the lincolns k126, mostly for the replacable liner, and slightly for the way the trigger hinges, and last i knew, its a hundred bucks cheaper than lincolns. i got a .045 liner in one of my 1260's (which i think is smallest dia liner) , and profax makes tips down too .035. its a 350 amp gun and not exactly cheap, its quite an overkil for what ur talkin , i ve got liners in my other 1260's for the other larger wires u mentioned in 10 and 15' . its a great gun to have, all mine have lincoln ends/ln-25.

I agree with you there, Im runnin a 12vs wire feeder, and I have a Profax gun and a Miller Ironmate gun, both work very well. The parts are interchangeable as well. I didnt know that the Lincoln guns you couldnt change the liner, but the tips and such are interchangeable.

One nice thing about these guns is when the trigger wire goes bad you can always fix it or replace it with some 18 gauge double wire from Home Depot at whatever length you need. Ive been using my guns for about 15 - 20 years and the wire goes bad after about 2 years. Keep in mind I use either one of em all day long just about evry day.

Post Thanks / Like

What size is the flux nozzle? I have 2 profax 400 amp guns, and I can use one of them if I can set it up properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diesel625 View Post
    What size is the flux nozzle? I have 2 profax 400 amp guns, and I can use one of them if I can set it up properly.

You dont need a nozzle for self shielded wire on the guns made for this wire, they come with a thread protector, there are nozzles available for them in different lengths, and the hotter you run the longer the nozzle you want to use, this gives a longer stickout. They come in handy when you are off balance or something and it keeps you from stickin the bare tip (which is hot) to the work, for the most part I just use the thread protectors. If you are running hot they last for about 2 or 3 rolls of wire.

If you gonna use a standard mig gun, depending on how the tip goes in the gooseneck, you can use a nozzle if you want to. Ive done it and found out the consumable tips nozzles and all stuff that goes with it dont hold up for long, but then again Im runnin wide open all day long
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 11-29-2021 at 06:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of trying the .035 wire with one of my 400 mig guns. One has a threaded neck, so I’d use a nozzle to protect it. The other slides on, so I may try it without the nozzle.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not get a new Bernard? They don't all have fixed liners and I love the Q guns with center-fire accessories. https://bakersgas.com/products/bernard-btb-configurator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    You dont need a nozzle for self shielded wire on the guns made for this wire, they come with a thread protector, there are nozzles available for them in different lengths, and the hotter you run the longer the nozzle you want to use, this gives a longer stickout. They come in handy when you are off balance or something and it keeps you from stickin the bare tip (which is hot) to the work, for the most part I just use the thread protectors. If you are running hot they last for about 2 or 3 rolls of wire.

If you gonna use a standard mig gun, depending on how the tip goes in the gooseneck, you can use a nozzle if you want to. Ive done it and found out the consumable tips nozzles and all stuff that goes with it dont hold up for long, but then again Im runnin wide open all day long
    yea, i usually bring an extra gun cuz of the wires/connections, as i got all mine used except thew last two. the lincoln k126 classic/original, isnt liner changeable, but the k126 pro/newer, can change liner, but u dont want one - things arent universal swap w/ ur others.

Post Thanks / Like

yea, i usually bring an extra gun cuz of the wires/connections, as i got all mine used except thew last two. the lincoln k126 classic/original, isnt liner changeable, but the k126 pro/newer, can change liner, but u dont want one - things arent universal swap w/ ur others.
    About 10 years ago Joe asked me to try out this old LN25 he had, I was using a Lincoln gun for the Innershield wire, I put a gooseneck from my Miller Ironmate in it and it worked fine, only reason I put the gooseneck on was the fiber insulation was wore off exposing the gooseneck with the metal on the outside. I use the goosenecks with the aluminum jacket for that reason. The tips and thread protectors I had for the Ironmate worked in the Lincoln gooseneck before I changed out the gooseneck. I dint bother with the liner as it all worked fine. The Profax gun Ive got will use the tips, goosenecks, thread protectors and nozzles form my Ironmate, I dont know if the liners will work or not, one day I have to see if it will work.

But yeah fixin the trigger wire is easy, ive probly done that about 7 or 8 times for both my guns. There is a flex head available for the Profax gun that will work on the Miller Ironmate, so Im thinkin it would fit on a Lincoln gun too
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 11-30-2021 at 03:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a profax 1260 at a very good price so I’m going that route. I’m still going to try the .035 through my mig gun to see how good it works though.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a profax 1260 at a very good price so I’m going that route. I’m still going to try the .035 through my mig gun to see how good it works though.
    I don't do a whole lot of fluxcore anymore, but I have had good luck using a Tweco #2 gun for .045 FC wire, and a 400 amp Tweco gun for 1/16" wire. The only change I make is to cut off an old nozzle to expose the full contact tip and protect the diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever tried running .034 or .045 through a duraflux gun with a 1/16-3/32 liner? I can get the tips, and already have the rollers. Is it worth trying?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever tried running .034 or .045 through a duraflux gun with a 1/16-3/32 liner? I can get the tips, and already have the rollers. Is it worth trying?
    You can try it but I dont know how its gonna work...that liner will handle 3/32 wire...thats a lot of wiggle room for 045 wire and smaller to wobble around in...is there a smaller size liner available for it, I know I can get an 045 liner for my Miller Ironmate

Post Thanks / Like

I finally had some time to try the .035 fluxcore through one of my profax 400 mig guns. It works really well, so I think I’m going to roll with that. Now, I just need to order some .045, and I’ll be set. Thanks for all the input.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally had some time to try the .035 fluxcore through one of my profax 400 mig guns. It works really well, so I think I’m going to roll with that. Now, I just need to order some .045, and I’ll be set. Thanks for all the input.
    Well good then, Im suprised that it works good, I figured it would twist and fold in the liner and get all fuzzed up at your feeder. Im glad it works, have fun be safe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    About 10 years ago Joe asked me to try out this old LN25 he had, I was using a Lincoln gun for the Innershield wire, I put a gooseneck from my Miller Ironmate in it and it worked fine, only reason I put the gooseneck on was the fiber insulation was wore off exposing the gooseneck with the metal on the outside. I use the goosenecks with the aluminum jacket for that reason. The tips and thread protectors I had for the Ironmate worked in the Lincoln gooseneck before I changed out the gooseneck. I dint bother with the liner as it all worked fine. The Profax gun Ive got will use the tips, goosenecks, thread protectors and nozzles form my Ironmate, I dont know if the liners will work or not, one day I have to see if it will work.

But yeah fixin the trigger wire is easy, ive probly done that about 7 or 8 times for both my guns. There is a flex head available for the Profax gun that will work on the Miller Ironmate, so Im thinkin it would fit on a Lincoln gun too
    the aluminum necks are good, but the 12" ones, are top heavy for me. lincolns braided insul 12", are lil lighter than profaxes 12's. but i anint buying lincoln anymore, some tripled in price, i'll be buying profax . for 12" i ditch the guard, and sometimes rest my trigger finger along bottom of neck for guide/support, and use my flipper finger for trigger. thats why i like the light goosenecks. what eats that braided insulation alive, is when ur laying/ working down on the cement, and u pull gun towards u by lead, and the neck rubs on cement. so i can see where u like the alum, being ur all over/under equip. pops, correct me if im worong, i think i remeber u use 233 over 232 most time. do u use single bend or reverse bend necks, or notice difference in feeding w/ either?
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-03-2021 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

the aluminum necks are good, but the 12" ones, are top heavy for me. lincolns braided insul 12", are lil lighter than profaxes 12's. but i anint buying lincoln anymore, some tripled in price, i'll be buying profax . for 12" i ditch the guard, and sometimes rest my trigger finger along bottom of neck for guide/support, and use my flipper finger for trigger. thats why i like the light goosenecks. what eats that braided insulation alive, is when ur laying/ working down on the cement, and u pull gun towards u by lead, and the neck rubs on cement. so i can see where u like the alum, being ur all over/under equip. pops, correct me if im worong, i think i remeber u use 233 over 232 most time. do u use single bend or reverse bend necks, or notice difference in feeding w/ either?
    Those goosenecks with the braided insulation aint worth havin at all, if you use a wire feeder all day long between the heat anbd the movin around that you do and I do they dont hold up. In a week that stuff will wear off for me. I dont know why they even make the damn things. But hey thats me.

I runthe NR 233 Innershield for what I do. Im not sure what you mean by reverse bend gooseneck unless you are talkin about the very slight bend at the end of the neck that goes back towards straight. some of them I get are 30 degrees and some are 50 degrees, whichever they can get quicker for me, both have a slight bend back towards strait on the end. Ive got a few flex heads too from Profax that I can twist whatever way I need to go, those have that crappy insulation as well so I only use em when I really need to. I have no trouble with any of them as far as feeding the wire as long as I dont twist or bend the line too tight behind me or kink it real close to the gun. That usually happens to me when Im doin a floor in a bucket or truck bed, one of the big reasons I hate welding flat. Sometimes I will turn the aluminum jacket goosenecks sideways or backwards to use them, for vertical or overhead,and I have no problems with feeding the wire that way either.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist