Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75

Thread: Recent higher steel prices

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    2,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Recent higher steel prices

    I just purchased some bar stock for a project I'm working on. I was curious how much steel prices had gone up on the pieces I bought. I was able to compare them with the last stock I bought for those sizes, all HR bar stock, 20' sticks.

    1/4" x 1 1/2" flat bar, new price $1.63/ft, old price $$0.96/ft. (Apr. 2019), up 70%

    1/4" x 2" flat bar, new price $2.18/ft, old price $1.28/ft. (Jan. 2020) up 70%.

    I'm sure other sizes have gone up quite a lot as well, if not more. The desk dood said some prices had gone up as much as 150%.

  2. Likes _Weldman_, VaughnT liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    .
    Posts
    568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Jumped from (June 2021) $50.40 for 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 24' square tubing 14 gauge to $89.52 (today) here on SE side of Montana. Was going to use some on my pole barn, that's not happening, I will look to see what will be just as strong and cheaper just different shape.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    The outfits I buy from, price by the pound. Most stuff is going for a few cents over a buck a pound right now,, but not climbing as of yet. The LWS is not keeping pace, and their price is much higher than the new source I'm using. They can't buy in large enough quantities to keep the price down.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    6,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Seems like in my area( WI), lighter gauge sheet and tubing of all shapes went up the most, more than double of a year ago. Other shapes went up considerably but not that drastic. Aluminum probably about 35-40 percent increase in the past year.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    May of last year I bought new 2-3/8 pipe for $1.89ft for fencing, I want to start on the fence where the new house is going to be built, Called today and it was $4.75ft

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    2,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    Jumped from (June 2021) $50.40 for 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 24' square tubing 14 gauge to $89.52 (today) here on SE side of Montana. Was going to use some on my pole barn, that's not happening, I will look to see what will be just as strong and cheaper just different shape.
    Get some 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron, and JB Weld, stick em together edge to edge....git 'er done!!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    2,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Millwrightdude View Post
    May of last year I bought new 2-3/8 pipe for $1.89ft for fencing, I want to start on the fence where the new house is going to be built, Called today and it was $4.75ft
    Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    Jumped from (June 2021) $50.40 for 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 24' square tubing 14 gauge to $89.52 (today) here on SE side of Montana. Was going to use some on my pole barn, that's not happening, I will look to see what will be just as strong and cheaper just different shape.
    That's just robbery. At least SOME lumber prices have gone down. I saw Advantech 3/4" 4x8 flooring at $94 a couple of months ago at a HD. This week it was down to $64...still high.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    The outfits I buy from, price by the pound. Most stuff is going for a few cents over a buck a pound right now,, but not climbing as of yet. The LWS is not keeping pace, and their price is much higher than the new source I'm using. They can't buy in large enough quantities to keep the price down.
    I would buy everything I could find at a few cents over a buck a pound. Some A500/513 hot rolled steel is $3, $3.50 or more a pound. I will not buy it at that price.
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln Precision TIG 225
    Century 250 MIG
    Lincoln 225 AC Box (sold)


    I support my local welding store (Amazon, McMasterCarr, Cyberweld, EBay).

  10. Likes Lis2323, 455dan liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Fab54 View Post
    I would buy everything I could find at a few cents over a buck a pound. Some A500/513 hot rolled steel is $3, $3.50 or more a pound. I will not buy it at that price.
    Yeah...........if you remember, or even saw it..............they want around $19/ft for 6x6x3/16 A500 in 40' sticks. I need to get over there, and pick it up before the quote goes stale. It was quoted at $1.35/lb.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Yeah...........if you remember, or even saw it..............they want around $19/ft for 6x6x3/16 A500 in 40' sticks. I need to get over there, and pick it up before the quote goes stale. It was quoted at $1.35/lb.
    WTF. I paid about that a month ago in Cdn$!!! And I purchase less than occasionally! I'm certain I must be one of their smallest accounts.

    Sourced from Canada and USA according to my supplier.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    485
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    I needed some 4x8 sheets of 11ga. $361.00

    Of course I bid the job a while back, think I had each sheet under $300, I think it was ~$260 ish. Oh well, told the customer the price had gone up a lot on materials and he said to add whatever I needed, he's a good long time customer and never questions the price.

  14. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
  15. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Quote Originally Posted by hddnis View Post
    I needed some 4x8 sheets of 11ga. $361.00

    Of course I bid the job a while back, think I had each sheet under $300, I think it was ~$260 ish. Oh well, told the customer the price had gone up a lot on materials and he said to add whatever I needed, he's a good long time customer and never questions the price.
    That's a good working relationship as he obviously trusts and values you as a vendor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    When the sales drop the price will drop.

    It would be interesting to see cost of steel in China.
    I think to high cost of steel is do to shipping problems.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    That's a good working relationship as he obviously trusts and values you as a vendor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    thanksgiving i talked to someone who does purchasing for a distributor, they said plate has dropped a slightly for them too buy. not saying thats the case for the customer. i think its something that we need to get used too, as materials are expensive in 3rd world countries

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    thanksgiving i talked to someone who does purchasing for a distributor, they said plate has dropped a slightly for them too buy. not saying thats the case for the customer. i think its something that we need to get used too, as materials are expensive in 3rd world countries
    America didn't become great by modeling itself after 3rd world countries. Exactly the opposite actually.
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln Precision TIG 225
    Century 250 MIG
    Lincoln 225 AC Box (sold)


    I support my local welding store (Amazon, McMasterCarr, Cyberweld, EBay).

  19. Likes rhunt, VaughnT liked this post
  20. #16
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    8,028
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    On a more serious note, too many places have gotten away with doubling their prices by citing "supply chain issues"... some real, some not. It will be interesting to see how much inflated prices get rolled back, and how many will just stick around...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  21. Likes shortfuse, 455dan liked this post
  22. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    On a more serious note, too many places have gotten away with doubling their prices by citing "supply chain issues"... some real, some not. It will be interesting to see how much inflated prices get rolled back, and how many will just stick around...
    Absolutely. And I know you are referring to goods in general and not just steel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  23. Likes whtbaron, shortfuse, 455dan liked this post
  24. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Scrap pile till prices go down.
    If you doing work for others then charge the new price.

    If you doing quoted you are S@$%%$# and T#%%##

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    On a more serious note, too many places have gotten away with doubling their prices by citing "supply chain issues"... some real, some not. It will be interesting to see how much inflated prices get rolled back, and how many will just stick around...

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Ran into Supply Chain issues on my patio project.
    Needed 700 7x10 pavers from Home Depot.

    It arrived at my house on 4 different trucks and a car that dropped off 20 of them. Home Depot got it done though.

    It was funny watching the Forklift pick up a pallet with 100 Pavers and drop it in my driveway. Next day another truck and another 100 pavers
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

  26. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
  27. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Last summer I was paying $165 for a 6x10x11g mild steel plate. Few weeks ago paid $510 for the same sheet. It’s down to $465 or so now. Steady increase every week since January. It’s not easy to deal with but we’re making it work.

  28. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    8,028
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    The stories are endless... the shop door I put up in 2013 was $3800. The same door this year with 2 more windows and 2 ft. taller was $10k. Must be the glass...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  29. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    What size door?

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    The stories are endless... the shop door I put up in 2013 was $3800. The same door this year with 2 more windows and 2 ft. taller was $10k. Must be the glass...

  30. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Recent higher steel prices

    Rising costs are an unfortunate part of doing business but can (should) be recovered.

    It sure makes it tough for us “not for profit” hobby guys though. Even extensive use of the scrap pile for projects still requires buying new stock occasionally.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 12-10-2021 at 10:45 AM.
    :

  31. Likes Broccoli1 liked this post
  32. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Like see the price in China for steel
    I think price rises is the retailers add profits

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Rising costs are an unfortunate part of doing business but can (should) be recovered.

    It sure makes it tough for us “not for profit” hobby guys though. Even extensive use of the scrap pile for projects still requires buying new stock occasionally.

  33. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recent higher steel prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Fab54 View Post
    America didn't become great by modeling itself after 3rd world countries. Exactly the opposite actually.
    didnt need to, we attract them in . just walk in, and evrything is free - thats "great"
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-10-2021 at 07:32 PM.

  34. Likes VaughnT liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,664,393,391.23566 seconds with 12 queries