Thread: Welding Expanded Steel

Post Thanks / Like

Welding Expanded Steel

Hey there,
    I was contracted to do some welding. They want a time estimate. Can anyone here help me decide how long this should take? I've never done this type of work.
    Its security for a parkade. They need 26 x 8'x4' sheets of expanded steel welded. and 26 smaller pieces at 48"x30".
    I'm using a MIG welder. I feel like I could weld a full size sheet, tack each little point, in less than an hour. Does this sound right?
    Thanks for the help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding Expanded Steel

If you think you can do it in an hour give it 1.5 anyway. It isnt welded over paint etc? Test a small one? Did you look at this, dont want to find out its got epoxy paint etc.

Post Thanks / Like

What are welding expanded steel to?
    What Guage is the expanded steel ?
    Do have to weld ever web of the expanded steel or can you skip weld?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by shasdakota View Post
    Hey there,
    I was contracted to do some welding. They want a time estimate. Can anyone here help me decide how long this should take? I've never done this type of work.
    Its security for a parkade. They need 26 x 8'x4' sheets of expanded steel welded. and 26 smaller pieces at 48"x30".
    I'm using a MIG welder. I feel like I could weld a full size sheet, tack each little point, in less than an hour. Does this sound right?
    Thanks for the help!!
    Last edited by smithdoor; 12-02-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pics and the thickness and size of the openings would get you more help on this. It would probably be easier to use some 14 ga X 2" flat bar as a backer and weld the expanded to it. IMO it will be quite a challenge to weld the ends together even with a mig using gas shield. I'm trying to visualize why the 48"x30" pieces have to be joined to the 4x8s. Like I said some pics will help.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy the expanded steel full size.
    It would give better looking job.

If I design the job I would use to 2 sizes anger irons for a sandwich. It give a finish look.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Pics and the thickness and size of the openings would get you more help on this. It would probably be easier to use some 14 ga X 2" flat bar as a backer and weld the expanded to it. IMO it will be quite a challenge to weld the ends together even with a mig using gas shield. I'm trying to visualize why the 48"x30" pieces have to be joined to the 4x8s. Like I said some pics will help.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are welding flat expanded metal, and welding the 30" to the end of a 96" sheet then that would be very simple as they have flat spots on the ends which make good welding tabs. If your welding raised, well that will probably suck. They dont go well together unless it was cut to do that by an experienced cutter.

Also, expanded metal doesnt come 4x8 it comes like 49.5" x 98 or even 99".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Can you weld? You may be asking the wrong querstons? I would say 1.5 hrs, also. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shasdakota View Post
    Hey there,
    Thanks for the help!!
    Welded to what? Frames? Each other? Why are you welding every point? Is it galvanized?

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures, Man we need pictures. You want to know how much welding is required to secure. Nothing worse that a customer looking at the job and saying some **** like " Oh I thought you were going to spot weld ever 2" or some ****". Get a print get it in writing on the details.
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

Calculate weld size. Calculate number of welds total. Your deposition rate will tell you how long to complete the said number of welds.
    Blueprint or sketch is worth a thousand words they say.