Thread: HELP! Lincoln Power MIG 300 - Error 214?

Post Thanks / Like

HELP! Lincoln Power MIG 300 - Error 214?

Does anyone familiar with Lincoln Power MIG welders know what error 214 is and hopefully how to correct it?

My Power MIG 300 was working fine putting down beads then stopped with "err 214" being displayed. Welder was not responsive to any input. I power cycled my welder and watched it do an extended diagnostic - longer than it normally takes when powering up. Still error 214. I shut it off and let it set overnight. Still error 214.

Searched the Internet for anything on a Power MIG 300 with error 214. Nothing useful. So, I removed the side panels and proceeded to blow out all the dust and inspect for any damage. Nothing. No burnt or damage anything. No odd smells, nothing. I proceeded to tear down my welder a bit further. I removed each circuit card, blew out the connections with canned air, and looked for any signs of damage - nothing. So, after cleaning everything up and putting my welder back together, I still get error 214.

There are DIP switches on a couple of the circuit cards and a DB25 data connector on the top. I have no idea if I can use these to help trouble shoot the welder. I have looked on Lincoln's website for service or repair manuals. If they exists, they are hiding behind their partner login - which I don't have access to.

So, any insight and guidance would be helpful. I am trying to minimize the cost of repairing my welder, but I fear a replacement circuit card is needed - if they are even available any longer...?

Thanks, -blake

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP! Lincoln Power MIG 300 - Error 214?

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...ermig-300-help

Scroll down a little in the above thread, maybe it will help.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried powering up the welder while holding the "Select" button up and waiting for “PrESSPin” to be displayed. Never gets that far. Still errors out to 214.

Post Thanks / Like

do you know if the software in this welder has ever been updated?
    the 32 pin RS232 port can be used to update the software and do a little trouble shooting. First you will need a serial cable and then depending on your computer you might need and USB to serial adapter. once you can connect. Go to powerwavesoftware.com and down load the powerwave manager program.
    Software update is the last thing to try. If your welder has the older control pcb the new software is not compatible and may brick it. Once you are set up, power on the welder and connect the program. select USB/serial on the connect page.
    Once connected, up in the top bar drop down select detail. Now you can look at the fault logs, What you see there will help find out what to do.
    One thing to try is take a snap shot, change the folder to a new one on your desk top so you can find it. Then open your email and attach the WSS file to an email and send it to "powerwavesupport@lincolnelectric.com" Attach serial number and code number. plus a description of what is going on. They want 2 copies. First as found then clear fault logs and run a second snap shot after the error code is displayed.
    Any problems you can call Lincoln or email the powerwave group for help with snap shots. Powerwave group handles software issues and the wire feed welder group handles general electrical problems. You are going to need to find the part numbers on the control pcb and the digital power supply pcbs. if the digital power supply is a G3632 you will want to replace it. a G5632-2 is ok. If you have to replace the control pcb you must have the G5632-2 power supply. The G3632 pcb is known to damage the control pcb as they age. Send me a private message if you need more help from me. 214 stands for "Could not find a wire drive board in system"
    So the wire drive pcb may have failed. This is where I use the snap short to trouble shoot with. watching the snap shot program run it may hang up at the wire drive pcb. wire drive pcb dead or SPI data cable not connected or damaged to wire drive pcb. OR software is corrupted or control pcb is failing. Give it a good try and then call Lincoln and the power wave group. keep questions short and to the point.
    Good luck. Pcbs are quite pricey.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the software and diagnostic suggestion. I have not explored this option yet. Kevin at Lincoln Electric Customer Service (service@lincolnelectric.com) provided some guidance:

I would look at the control board. You should have 5 volts on leads 1103 and 1104 in the J11 molex plug. If this voltage is missing then the control board is bad. If the 5 vols is present the check for 42VDC on the J82 plug leads 3243 and 3244 on the feedhead board. If the 42 volts is present then the feedhead board is bad.

Sincerely,

Kevin S.
    Customer Service Group
    The Lincoln Electric Company
    22801 St. Clair Avenue
    Cleveland, OH 44117
    Toll Free Customer Service 1-888-935-3877
    I tested both jacks for the 5vdc and 42vdc as Kevin recommends and found both voltages to be good when measured with my multimeter. It would appear my Feeder Board is bad.

I am following up with Kevin to confirm my Feeder Board part number is still available. I will update this post once I have more info.

Thanks, -Blake